Boy, oh, boy what a mess FINISHED!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by hmerrill

Betsy I just want to know what your customer had to say.

She hasn't seen it yet. She moved out of town last month. I have posted pictures of the whole process on my webshots site in a seperate album for her to look at. I emailed her this morning to let her know it was finished and haven't received a reply yet. I'll let you know if she likes it.

I dread the day I get a quilt top that looks like that one did and I hope when it happens that I can work half the magic that you did. What an awesome job you are doing. We're praising it now before it's done because we can already see that it is clearly amazing. Do you always leave your tops unattached to the top roller?

Betsy, wow that was alot of fabric that you had to work in there to get this one to be flat and straight. It seems if one had not seen the top before you quilted it you would never know it had such issues. Makes me think the quilter can turn anyones piecing into a show quilt. I hope your friend appreciates the miracle that was performed on the beauty!! our feathers are absolutely breath taking. Did you learn to do them from Kimmy Brunners cd? They are fabulous!!

That's one of the most amazing transformations I've seen! Your quilting is truly wonderful. Couple of questions;

did you baste the quilt as you rolled to help ease the fulness in, as well as the steam and starch? And did you premark the feathers or do them without marking? I was bowled over by the feathers!

Shelley

WOW that is beautiful! - those before and after photos are incredible!! No "touch-ups" like those diet advertisements!!! LOL

I'd like to hear more - did you end up with "any" tucks or pleats (maybe just tiny?) Did you tack down each area and then maybe push or pull the excess in as you quilted the feathers or did the S&S method do that for you? When you use the S&S method - it needs to be done on just the quilt top? What about the batting if your quilt is already on the frame?

Enough questions . . Thanks for sharing!

Okay....Hopefully here are the answers you have wanted. I don't use the top roller on my machine. I have it marked in one inch increments with zero in the middle and then numbered out to the sides. I usually put tape around the roller at the side measurements for the quilt I'm working on and make sure the sides line up with the tape each time I advance the quilt. I pin baste all along the bottom edge and re-pin baste at each advance.

Progression on this quilt: I did SID on each side of the inner border first, then the piano keys in the border, then SID around the stars, then CC in the star diamonds. I marked the feather spines with blue wash out marker and stitched the spines. Last I did the feathers freehand.

I did have to take several large tucks, actually pleats. Look at my webshots album about this quilt and I have pictures of how I did the pleats.

I used Bonnie's Starch and Steam through all the layers first but actually melted some of the batting (oops) After that I starched and steamed just the top before each advance of the quilt (a benefit of not using the top roller bar!) If it was not a poly batting I could have steamed all I wanted through the layers. Hope that answers all the questions! Thanks for being so interested in my mess!

Archived