oops - sewed on the canvas

Annie,

You'll never do that again! It's like banging into the leveler bar...you do it once, scare your self big time, thinking you destroyed the machine - which you did not - and you never do it again!

I did both once.

The canvas: I knew I went off the quilt, the batting folded over at the bottom and I quilted over the layers. I tried to rip the stitches out, not realizing it was also the canvas that was quilted. I tore about 3/4" of my canvas...still living with it. Not that big a deal. I just pin that area carefully.

Hang in there, you'll get it all worked out...

Lisa Burghart

APQS Liberty

Circle Lord

NW NJ

TOTALLY giggling here...I have done it so many times when I first got started that I started to put an additional strip of fabric around my quilt so I would quit sewing myself to the leaders... I even had to cut myself off one time and left a huge hole.

no you are not the first, I did that. Also when I put my machine together I put my panto side handles on the wrongside. Could not figure out why they were not working so I called Amy. I bet she told everybody about it after we hung up and had a good laugh. I have also sewed over my daisey pins.

Nora

Millennium

Washougal WA

I don't remember who admitted this (I think it was Linda Rech?) said she was focusing so much on what she was doing that she quilted her shirt sleeve onto the quilt and had to get herself free with a seam ripper. Now that I think of it, I believe it was Bonnie Botts that pulled that stunt. :D Sounds like something I would do...Butler Stunt

I'm part of this club too! I have done this twice: my first quilt I thought I was doing great following the lines on the panto with the laser completely forgetting that the last row would run off the quilt. The second time my backing was just barely larger than the top, not thinking that the back may shrink more than the top would when stitched, but it did by almost an inch. I ended up cutting 1 1/2" off the border on that quilt. Live and learn I guess.

Been there, done that on sewing the leaders into a quilt. Evidently I turned the backing sideways and didn't realize it until it was too late and the backing was short just a few inches. I still have the flathead pins it also sewed through. (Head banging into palm of hand saying "stupid, stupid, stupid", but I think I actually said something a lot worse than that.):o

Archived