difference between LA quilters and "piecers"

I have a strange topic or question that I want to throw out there........ do you all find much personality differences between people who hand quilt and piece vs. those of us who long arm?

The reason I ask is because at some family functions there are few ladies that are DIE HARD hand quilters and piecers. I am learning to piece but have no desire to hand quilt. And I find that sometimes these ladies are very opinionated about quilting techniques. Almost as if they "disapprove" of my long arming, like it's cheating or something! LOL!. I know it's not personal but I find ti hard sometimes to carry on a conversation with them. Granted I'm what some might consider a young quilter (28) and I know I lack expirence and knowledge that they have but I'm just wondering if any of you ever expirenced this?

And as far as designs, I like using a contrasting thread color to show off my quilting, however some of the "piecers" I know want the quilting to blend in ot disappear. Is there actaully a term for this?!? LOL!!

I'm learning that sometimes our hobbies can't be discussed 'cause I just don't feel as if my opinions or suggestions matter because it's "cheating" if you don't hand quilt! Just wondering if there is a happy medium out there! ;) I've been stewing about this for awhile.....

Not trying to open a can of worms, just trying to see if you all have ever expirenced this.

IMHO, you should be embraced and welcomed for carrying on the quilting tradition!

Having said that, I used to piece and quilt everything by hand. That seemed to be the 'pure' way to do things; in reality it was simply how I had learned to do things. LOL. Around 1999, I started piecing by machine. It took a couple more years to start quilting by machine. This year, I've made the jump to being a LA'er. If I'm going to produce a quilt, for myself or anyone else, I'm going to have to use machines. There just aren't enough hours in the day/week/months of my life to do things by hand.

As for the purity aspect - should farmers quit using tractors? should people in general quit using indoor plumbing and go back to outhouses or getting their water from wells or streams? No - no more than we should quit using our sewing machines, DSM or longarm. As technology becomes available, people use it to better or more quickly accomplish their goals. Hmmm, do your contentious familiy piecers use a rotary cutter & mat - or are they still using templates and scissors?

So, my belief system says that we are all quilters - we just have different ways of practicing our craft or art. Better to focus on the common aspects rather than the differences.

It's sad that you can't share your passion with family members who just don't get your 'ways.' Both groups lose - you don't get to learn as much about the old ways of doing things and they don't get to gather around you & your machine as you show them your craft.

Lynn

Hi, I have had my Freedom a little over two years. I, too, experienced a similar conversation with some of my quilting friends. One in particular said, "I do all of my quilting by hand. I would never do it by machine or have it done by machine." I told her there is nothing more beautiful than a nicely done hand quilted piece, but I will not live long enough to finish the items I have ready to quilt much less make anything new. Less than a year later she is bragging about her new mid-arm. I just consider the source and no longer have meaningful converastions with her. I just listen. She is having a hard time learning to use it. I just smile. So hang in there and just keep smiling. Your work will soon speak for itself!!

Originally posted by wnott

Apples & Oranges....they are both fruit!

Wow them with your work! They'll come around.

OMG! :P I was gonna say the exact same thing!

Yup... Hand quilting = Apples. Machine Quilting = Oranges. both look good, both are a little different, but both are fruit.

I say we should all love and appreciate our apples and oranges for their differences and qualities. :)

I love hand quilting. I adore it! It's lovely. I also love machine quilting. But, I don't love quilt snobs. :cool: There is plenty of room in this world for all of us to explore and create and have fun. Why limit ourselves?

Oh well (sigh) just appreciate your family and always compliment them on their hand work, and the dedication they have for tradition. Don't make a big deal out of it. :) They'll lighten up over time.

And, you are not "cheating" you are simply using a different technique. For example... Acoustic Guitar vs Electric Guitar? Are those who play the electric guitar cheating? Hmmm... Same diff. And... look at the impressionist artists in Europe. They were shunned by the traditional majority, and they were considered "cheaters" for their new impressionist style of painting. They went away from the "traditional" style of painting. And... who woulda thunk it that 100 years later those impressionist paintings are selling in the millions of dollars. :cool:

Love the comparisons, apples to oranges....both are still fruit and both delicious!! :)

And I should note that these ladies aren't really family but family of my sister. It would be her MIL and her husbands aunt. Regardless, I'll try to take it with a grain of salt. (But I am usually a pretty chatty person and firendly but I just feel uncomfortable around them and my difference in personality had been noticable to my mother and sister after these gatherings! Guess I'm not a good actress!) I think I'm still ensecure about my talents and abilities....that will improve with time too, I'm sure.

Thanks ladies, just needed a little reassuring!!

Love ya' all!

0Michelle

When treadle sewing machines came into popular demand the quilts were pieced by machine. I was a hand quilter too. But I have a lot of tops I don't want to spend the time hand quilting. I hand quilt slow. I will save that for very special tops. The everyday ones or the ones where I just want it done or I am going to give it to Community Service to give away I machine quilt.

Machine quilting is a skill. If you have to "Drive" the machine then it takes skill. I can do pantos but I still stink from the front of the machine and probably always will. But I will get quilts finished so I can do more.

Charlotte

Wanda that is a fantastic way to look at this! I too have had this reaction and I once was only a hand quilter but I was not a quilt snob! Shana hit the nail on the head. Hang your head high and wow them with what you do. We all have different styles and techniques but in the end our goal is to create a quilt to be cuddled, loved and passed on!

I have a DSIL that does all her piecing and quilting by hand, except for her Project Linus quilts. I'm not sure she can appeciate my LA'ing like I can appreciate her handwork, but that is ok. Like I tell people, in my research I found that women were quilting on their treadle machines 100+ years ago. Most of the time that quiets them. I'm sorry for those that are looked down upon because they don't do traditional hand piecind and quilting. Can you imagine what goes on in the minds of those that are judgemental when they see the fabulous art quilts that are out there? I don't make them, but I can sure appreciate them!

The added thought here is that most people just don't get what is involved with the LA - the time and investment it takes to become good. Those in the know always seem to be more appreciative of machine quilting. Both methods have a place - me - I am too hyper to hand quilt - would never finish. Good hand quilting is gorgeous, but for me, I want to be able to finish and the added benefit is how artistic one can become with the LA.

I love this discussion! Great points, all.

Next time you are in this group, mention that hand quilting is so time-and-labor intensive and produces such a special heirloom, that it is so sad the final product will be put away for "good".

That means it is so special that it will never be used--both of my grandmothers had "good" put away--crocheted and knitted tablecloths, embroidered guest towels, etc. I am happy now to have several of these items that are displayed but not used. Unfortunately--no quilts! :)

Tell them you are so happy to be able to produce a quilt that is both beautiful and USEFUL. People aren't afraid to use a machine-quilted item--they are beautuful, they last, can be laundered, and best of all, are cuddled in!

my quilting story closely mimics Lynn's....and i totally agree with Meg....most piecers don't have a clue on the learning curve of machine quilting....and i know of at least 6 local piecers who bought LAs, then sold them within the year because it "wasn't as easy as it looks" and then my favorite reason: "i didn't know how strenuous it was" :P

funny story-

when i LAed at the LQS, this gentleman was very curious what i was doing and when i explained that i was quilting a quilt he got a little argumentative.... said i was 'cheating' so i asked him what he did for a career, he said he was a building contractor....so i asked him if he built his houses with a hand saw and a wooden mallet and did he hue his own lumber....needless to say- that shut him up...

the one comment that tends to raise my blood pressure: "you machine quilt, my grandmother did all her quilts by hand"....you now, in that better-than-you tone....

i do like the apple oranges comment...and i agree (and have learned)wow them with your work- they WILL come around...

When machine quilting first came onto the scene, the quilts done by machine were not too great! Most of the machines were capable of only loops or little better, the thread was heavy, and the stitches were usually really long. Many older ladies who quilt are thinking about those quilts, not the lovely quilts longarm quilters produce today.

Each look is different. Each has its place. The reality is that piecers are often not quilters..either hand or machine. The availability of longarm quilting has given many more people the opportunity to create a beautiful quilt which expresses their creativity and one they can give to a loved one as an expression of their affection. So many more recipients have been given the opportunity to receive such a precious gift, all due to the availability of longarm quilting. Longarm quilters are dedicated people who want to enhance the pieced top to bring out is unique beauty. We have nothing to apologize for!

Michelle,

I like the fruit analogy as well:)

You should be proud of your work as you learn. You have the courage to try something new to you. Most of us don't learn to walk, read, quilt or do anything else overnight. All skills take PPP'ing. Taking time to appreciate the journey you are on and to see the improvement as you learn is sooooooooo important.

It's also important not to let reverse age discrimination get you down - you are a quilter. Thank goodness you are a young quilter - we need all kinds of folks to keep our much beloved tradition alive - and growing/innovating. Shannon, Patty of Katydids, and others on this forum have reached out to support me as I become a LA'er. Thank goodness for the generosity that most quilters possess.

And most of all, remember to have a sense of humor (about quilting and family) and to really enjoy the quilting.

Lynn

Totally agree with all that has been said....and a tiny funny story.

When I lived in Reno...there is/was (not sure she is still there) a wonderful hand quilter...she so busy and it took her at least one month per quilt. Well her own quilts she brought to me...she said she loved her own work, but she didn't want to wait.:P

Now I'm being a little silly here, but.......I relate our big machines to "POWER TOOLS"......GIRLS WITH POWER TOOLS!!!!!

Don't let these gals ruffle your feathers really. In my group of ladies there were several master quilters, all hand quilters, and we used to tease each other all the time, but in time, they would compliment my work, so that being said, just let your beautiful work speak for itself and be real proud of what your doing.....ok???

I have come to realize that life is too short for me to sit and hand quilt or hand piece. I have so much I want to accomplish that it will never all get done. I do appreciate those who have the talent, time, patience to do that kind of work and do it well.

There is always room for both methods. Some will never change and always believe their way is better. You'll never change them and life is too short.

As the mentioned above...wow them with your work!

This is really a good discussion. I personally love to do both hand and machine quilting. There's nothing like ending my day sitting in my easy chair in front of the fire doing some hand-stitching; but using my LA is fun and fast. They both have their place - one is not right or wrong, just a personal preference. Do whatever you do and do it well and be proud of it whether by hand or machine.

Do they hand-quilt by candles also?

If they use electricity, I say they are cheating!!!!

I fund that so funny, we all enjoy the same hobby...what is the differnece how we each do it, if we each enjoy it?

BTW: I found most piecers who "put down" someone who uses a machine is the one who can't even thread one.

To each their own!

Lisa

APQS Liberty

Circle Lord

NW NJ

I agree with Lisa. Take away the electricity, or their rotary cutters! Or how about those fancy rulers?? The only reason grandma did it that way was because that was what was available to her! These old die hards need to go to a show like MQS or MQX and then they MIGHT appreciate the art and work involved!!

Yes, my sisters MIL quilted the one I had questions on the thread color. I think she wanted to hand quilt it but my sister (who fully supports me) wanted me to quilt it. Plus her feeling is this.... "I want to be able to use my quilt everyday and enjoy it, why put that much time into something that is going to get used and (loveingly) abused." ((She has 6 small children, yes, I said abused!)) lol!

I was a little nervous doing it and it's only a simple meander!! But my sister understands how her MIL is and told me that it is her quilt and not to worry. And it's done now and it looks great. I'll post pic. of it soon.

Archived