Designing a studio

We have recently bought land and will be building a house in the next year.

There is not enough room for a free standing studio, but should be plenty of space in the house.

My questions:

What would you love to have in your studio.

What do you now have you couldn't do without.

What do you have that is a waste of time, space, etc.

Thanks for the help.

Amen on what Sharon said and also add storage, storage, storage. If I could have what I wanted, I'd have formica table tops so they will be slicky for the fabric to slide on and be easy to clean. A counter on both sides of my long arm. A large ironing space would be a must! I'd also want a big, big display wall and an equally big design wall. Also a computer area. An extra sewing space for my quilty friends to sew with me and a view over looking the sea, and a maid and cook, and, and, and............ ha!;)

Sylvia, you left out the bare chested eye candy :P

Originally posted by JustSewSimple

Amen on what Sharon said and also add storage, storage, storage. If I could have what I wanted, I'd have formica table tops so they will be slicky for the fabric to slide on and be easy to clean. A counter on both sides of my long arm. A large ironing space would be a must! I'd also want a big, big display wall and an equally big design wall. Also a computer area. An extra sewing space for my quilty friends to sew with me and a view over looking the sea, and a maid and cook, and, and, and............ ha!;)

I want a huge cutting table with lots of storage underneath! I would also like lots of closet space so that I can have everything very organized and it also keeps my studio looking neat and clean. I have a place where I can sit and do some handwork and also a TV with DVD player so I can put video's in and quilt too. I also have a large ironing surface and I like it a lot.

Enough power coming into the studio to not throw a breaker switch when quilting, listening to the T.V., two fans on to alleviate the "hot flashes", and downloading something on the computer - at the same time! Ask how I know.

Thread racks, built-in wall batting roll holders with cutting area that could double for a fabric cutting table with storage underneath, and how about the fabric cabinets have glass doors so the gorgeous colors show.

Ditto to everything above and why not a poster of some great :D "eye candy"? Your choice of what that may be!

electrical outlets in the ceiling are the best. guy thought i was nuts but it works out for the iron, for the vacuum, for the air compressor. do quite a few, 1/3rd in from all the walls and one in the center. Great not having to be near a wall to get an outlet. (but my ceilings are a bit lower than the average as well).

I have high ceiling in my new studio and I still had them put in a couple of switched ceiling outlets. The studio is on it's own 20 amp circuit and I had a separate dedicated 20 amp put in just for my longarm. The only thing I wish I had, that I have to wait for is cork floors. If I ever get all the boxes put away I will take pictures. I had to start getting customer quilts out so the boxes that are left are going to have to wait. :)

My floor is concrete and was already poured when we signed on the house or I might have added a couple of floor outlets as well.

They are currently working on 2 houses that are behind mine. Every day at lunch I have a bunch of constructions workers watching me quilt. I have a feeling they are all trying to figure out what the heck I'm doing.

Barbara,

There is a really good book called "Creating your perfect quilting space: sewing room makeovers for any space and any budget" Here is the link to it on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Creating-Your-Perfect-Quilting-Space/dp/1564775690/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1271650906&sr=8-1

I have read it cover to cover and it gives really good advice about how high your cutting table should be, etc. I got a copy from the local library and photocopied the pages with the information that I wanted to keep.

I agree with everyone and that book is very helpful. I made a list and that helped, and when I went looking for a new house, this really helped me find the right one! I would like to have the closet modified to hold my rolls of batting. I would also like a sewing station that has more room around it.

hi barbara - glad you are ok - i was worried when you never made it to the tension class.

i, too, think that investing in a studio desing book is a great idea. they will think of everything and yuou can pick and chose from it. ;)

My questions:

What would you love to have in your studio.

lots of things - many windows, lots of overhead lighting, many outlets along the walls and one on the floor just under lola-baby, a saddle stool so i could sit sometimes, a humidifier & a separate thermostat for the heat, lots of adjustable shelving for threads and fabrics, and someone who is good at operating a longarm (hehe)

What do you now have you couldn't do without. a/c, tv/dvd player for watching training videos, k brunner basic of LAing video, my ipod player, my super sewing table & ergonomic chair, my BIG cutting table, my design wall, :PQZ:P, rulermate, freestanding ott light.

What do you have that is a waste of time, space, etc.

i have a long (like 9") SID ruler i do not like. i learned to stick with smaller rulers cause they are easier to control.

I agree with all of the above and I am trying to get all these necessities incorporated into my studio now. I hope to be moving in this coming weekend. I have not yet figured out what I will do about an ironing station. I have seen a large June Taylor ironing pad, probably about 3 ft by 5 ft. Does anyone know if they still make these and where they can be purchased? I would like to have a piece of board cut to the correct size to go under the pad. thanks.

I promised Sylvia pictures after next week and will post on the forum once I get to move in. Still a big mess with construction tools and such now.

Jeanne you can make a iron table if you can find a table that is big enough. I found a table at a school auction that has ajustable legs that is about 2ft x 5ft . I used cotton batting and pillow fabric (striped) and meandered on it and put draw strings on it and it works great.

I made my own 'big board' big enough for most quilts by buying a hollow-core door & covering it in Warm & Natural & and an amazing heat-reflecting fabric by Measurematic but muslin would work too. It stands on 2 rubber, height-adjustable, folding saw horses from Home Depot. Its about 80" x 30" and gets used for cutting & other work too but can be folded away when I have to give up my room to the occasional extra guests.

Archived