How to quilt this beautiful star?

I love this quilt! I also love that Mary pieces so beautifully. Now if you could all please help me figure out how to do justice to this quilt. Mary's comments to me were similar to when I go see my hairdresser. "Oh, do whatever you want. You're the professional, I trust you."

Please, what to do for quilting designs as well as thread color. Where and how much to SID? I'm thinking that I'll be using several different colors of So Fine so that I'm not competing with the quilt top. The backing will be a marbled dark green, so that's where I'll let the quilting show.

Thanks!

post--13461904414524_thumb.jpg

Oh Beth that is a beautiful quilt! I would do lots of SID to showcase all that wonderful piecing and those points. I would SID all the colored areas and do fills as needed in the background areas to make things really pop (such as the flying geese). I would do some pretty feathers in the green area, not including the spikes I don't think form what I can tell of size it won't need you to get in there but it it does add in a few swirls to fill the space up. I would do radiating lines in the print behind the circle areas. That print isn't going to show lots of quilting but the radiating lines would make your eye move out. I would consider either a feather or fill for the white area, depending what looks best.

What an awesome, drop dead, gorgeous quilt top!!!

Other than a lot of SID.....I don't know what else.

Did you happen to take the Quilt Whisperer class on MQP. Carla Barrett comes up with a lot of fantastic ideas. She has a Yahoo site called (of course) Quilt Whisperer. Maybe you'd want to try her?

Please post pictures when you're finished. What ever you do, I'm sure it will be wonderful.

Yes, it's a Judy Niemeyer pattern. I've dropped a line to her asking for suggestions on how her samples were quilted. Also trying to contact the LQS where the class was offered to see how they have theirs quilted.

When I get this quilt quilted, if it's even half as wonderful as I hope to make it, I'll be stopping people on the street to show them photos of what Mary and I have done.

LOTS of SID - to make those points pointier.

Small fill in the white area behind the centre star.

CC's the lone star.

Maybe small fill feathers/ferns in the green/ or outer cream.

It looks like another star is in my future, I have always loved this pattern.

As Myrna would say "just do it".

Lyn

If you happen to have Myrna's JUST DO IT DVD, then you would get lots of great ideas. The woman that owns the local quilt shop here did hers herself on her HQ 16. Turned out great. She just went to town on it and did a great job. Wish I could post a pic for you. the bamboo stitch comrs yo mind too. Have fun with it. Don't let it intimidate you. ;)

A few weeks ago, Marilyn Badger was on Fons and Porter doing Mariner's Compass blocks. She quilted her quilt in metallic thread, without respect to the points in many cases. She did fleur-de-lis over some points, the N S E and W compass points, then SID around the other points I think. It was really beautiful. If you have access to this episode somewhere it would give you a fresh take on this type quilt.

She stitched a couple concentric circles around the compass...for example, in the center compass, she stitched two concentric circles in the light green portion, before it branched into the points, then filled that space between the circles with microstippling. She connected the points of the compass with swags, and did background fill around the outer edge of the swags to the outside of the block. Same with the inside triangles of background between the points. (Clear as mud, huh?) I think she did SID around some of the points, but maybe not.

In her flying geese, she did CC's, then in the outside of the arcs, she did micro-stipple. All this was is gold metallic thread, and it didn't detract from the quilt at all. Hope you can find the episode to have a look.

Lynn

Beth,

Judy Niemeyer is on the road at the moment. She is here in California and I am half way through a two day class with her. She brought some of her quilts with her for us to drool over too. Judy mentioned that the woman that does her quilting has a lot of the quilting designs available for download. The quilter has a Statler, I don't know if the designs are only for that system and I also don't know if you are computerized. Her name is Vicki Ibison http://www.legacyquilting.com/ That is one lovely quilt.

Sue

I just took my version of this quilt off my frame! It is a Judy Neimeyer, Hawiian Star. I was at Judy's retreat in thier new Retreat Center near Flathead Lake in Montana in April and finally got my quilt quilted (top was done at the reteat). I haven't taken a picture yet as I am putting binding on. I did a version of line dancing in the diamonds, and lots of a version of a feather I do with swirls in it. Oh and of couse lots and lots of SID. I used both Hobbs 80/20 and a layer of Hobbs wool. I did not quilt the star spikes and or flying geese and quilted the feather variation in the background. The spikes really pop. will try to get a picture up tomorrow. Right now it is at my store.

Archived