prewound bobbins

I like to do both. But I buy the NEB pre-wounds and love the way they stitch out. The thread seems to almost melt into the fabric backing just giving you great texture. I don't tend to have tension problems much whatever bobbins I use so I can't help you there. You just have to adjust your tension until you get it right.

Guest Linda S

I had no luck at all with pre-wound bobbins until FilTech came out with the magna glide bobbins. The Superior ones gave me huge nests on the back of my quilt. I wound my own till I found the magna glide. Now I'm hooked!

I've never wound my own bobbins, lazy I guess. I've used Superior's pre-wounds with little problems. However, the

Fil-tech (Bobbin Central) pre-wound magna-quilt or magna-glide are the best. They significantly help with tension problems and there's no "bobbin backlash". The other advantage that I've been told is the pre-wounds hold more thread. If you register on Bobbin Central's site, they will send you a bunch of samples. They won't bug you after signing-up either.

I can't get pre wound bobbins to work for me at all, and I have tried over and over..not to mention the cost. Since I do a quilt a day ( hope Eleanor does get me on using that phrase) it's not only cost prohibitive but to have the right colors and enough of each just isn't possible. I use only Bottom Line and have every color, it's so much cheaper that way and with the APQS bobbin winder I get a very tight wind. I start out with two of the color I'm using and when the first is empty I put on the 2nd and put the empty on the winder to wind while I go back to quilting, I never have a bunch of left overs in a color I might not use for a long time. What it left on the last bobbin goes into my holder to be used to audition for the next time I'm choosing a backing color. If a customer request I use a top thread in the bobbin they get a much bigger thread charge, so that doesn't happen often.. I would love to try the Fil-Tech but then the colors are my problem, how many of each color am I going to need.. I always match my backing and the customers love it.

Denise, I've had my machine for almost 5 years and have never wound a bobbin. I've only ever used Superior prewound bobbins and have never had a problem with them. Some say to removed one side of the cardboard, I'm not sure why they say to do that....I don't remove either side of the cardboard and they work perfect for me. I usually by the neutrals by the gross, but have many of the colors in lots of 72 as well.

There's a lot of thread wound on the prewounds so you can quilt longer without having to change them out. I love prewounds!!!

Rita

I use the pre-wounds sometimes. Usually when I'm in a hurry and don't want to wind my own. Otherwise, I like the flexibility of using the threads of my choice. I tried the glide bobbins and they did OK, but do they only come in one weight? My preference is for So Fine from Superior for the bobbins, even their 40wts seemed to lay better than the glide threads. I have only tried them once, so if there are other wts for their bobbins, I would be happy to try them again.

I use pre-wound BL almost exclusively.

My thread charge is $2 per bobbin--which covers both the cost of the bobbin and the top thread. Doesn't matter if I buy them or wind them.

I can spend a half hour winding bobbins (I have an on-board winder--never have invested in a turbo) at 10 bobbins per quilt and charge the same amount for thread, or I can quilt for half hour and earn some money. The cost will be the same to the customer ($20), but I feel I am ahead of the game this way. They pay the $20 no matter which I use. The thread on self-wounds will be cheaper for me if I wind, but I don't think it offsets my loss of time.

Not sure if this all makes sense--it looks good filtered through my brain, though!:P

The only time I have issues with Bottom Line pre-wounds is towards the end of the bobbin. I've only found one bobbin that was too tight to work, even after taking off the cardboard sides but I like the consistency and time saving the pre-wounds give me. Haven't tried the magna glides yet.

I too love the magna glide prewound bobbins. I just load the bobbin into my machine and thread the machine with the glide thread and my stitches come out beautiful. I never have to fiddle with the tension at all. I just purchased some Superior So Fine thread and tried it last night in my machine. I prewound a bobbin and threaded the machine and off I went on a practice piece, but I have to say I'm not as crazy about the stitches it is producing. Played with the tension and stitch length but still am not as happy as I am with the results I get from the glide thread. Anyone else have that problem or can give suggestions on how to fix this. I think with the glide thread it may be a little heavier so I get a more defined stitch versus the So Fine.

Archived