Just had to share my latest challenge......

This is another one of those challenges....my customer was very proud that she did not use a pattern to make this...this is how it started out....

2772930270104810669S425x425Q85.jpg

2359476550104810669S425x425Q85.jpg

was pleased to have it turn out this nicely....

2599843600104810669S425x425Q85.jpg

and finally...

2519712190104810669S425x425Q85.jpg

she was very pleased when she picked it up, we were all happy she liked it...very thick poly batting and it did cost me my itty bitty which broke when the thick batting bumped it between my hopping foot and needle...ouch! A definate learning opportunity for me!

I have the hardest time when someone shows up to bring me their prized work and are so proud and I just know it will be a challenge...what do you say? I know what I'd like to say but darn it, I just can't turn them away.....maybe in time I will.....

that was a good pun...."unruly quilt"! At least I got a laugh out of it!

Well done Vicki - The Quilt-tamer!

Thanks for the inspiration. I had 1 of these customers bring me 2 quilts a couple of weeks ago. I must post photos. I'll be quilting the first one later this week. She also pieced each one with no pattern except for the pre-printed mariner's Compass foundation centre in each which is about 40" square. This first one finishes at about 96" plus the v. large triangles off each side!! She is quite young, early 20s, and these are her 1st 2 quilts & she is so proud of them. How could I refuse them?

Originally posted by Primitive1

I have the hardest time when someone shows up to bring me their prized work and are so proud and I just know it will be a challenge...what do you say? I know what I'd like to say but darn it, I just can't turn them away.....maybe in time I will.....

that was a good pun...."unruly quilt"! At least I got a laugh out of it!

I hope you don't ever get to the point you turn them away! After my mom reached her nineties her piecing left a lot to be desired. It was a wonderful quilter like you who took her tops and worked "magic" on them. If my mom hadn't had that hobby she still thought she was excellent at, she wouldn't have lived so long. She hand pieced her quilts with very poor eyesight up until 1 week before she died at 98. She died still taking a lot of pride in her work because of someone special like you!!!!

I loved it and the whole quilt story.

One of my customers buys fabric at estate sales...all kinds...wool tweeds...silks...poly...and makes 12 inch squares that she sews together. Usually brings me flannel material to peice the back for her. They are for her grandchildren and great grands. She is 89. This is when I usually play doing different freehand designs.

She says my quilting saves her quilts. It makes me and her happy.

You did a great job saving that quilt.

Archived