Learning from each other -- Critiquing my work

This will be a raffle quilt for my guild, which I quilted for free. I did one last year too and I actually got several new customers afterwards. I think some people need to see your work before trusting you with their quilt.

For this particular quilt, I think I did rather well on the four outside triangles, but I sure wish I had done something to break up the inside on-point square. I think I should have put something (besides just stippling) in the corners, at least. My thinking was the stippling wouldn’t take away from the beauty of the intricate appliqué, but it’s too much area to just stipple in.

So, lesson learned.

Anyway, the story behind this quilt is that the lady who made it died. Her family didn’t want all of her quilting “stuff”, so they called and asked our guild if they “could use it.” There were two unquilted tops, this was one of them. The other will be done for next year’s raffle.

I just can’t imagine someone giving this top away.

post--13461905305486_thumb.jpg

I used the Hartley Scallop ruler for the corners.

I did do 2 hummingbirds (stencil) on the quilt -- look hard and you can see it in the upper left of the photo above.

I also did one (mirror image) in upper right corner, looking toward the center of the quilt.

post--13461905306411_thumb.jpg

OMG! I can't believe that someone would give this top away. THe work in it is beautiful and so time consuming! You did a beauitful job quilting it. Pat yourself on the back and let me know when the tickets are ready. I think I need a chance of this beautiful quilt!!!!

Hmmm, makes me wonder what my family will do one day with all my quilting stuff???

That is a beautiful quilt and must have taken her hours to needleturn applique, I can appreciate the time and work she did put into it! You did a wonderful job with the quilting and I think it was perfect as it really shows off her applique work!

Hope your guild sells lots of tickets!

It really is a beauty, and the quilting was just right to turn it into a Winner... should bring lots of Money.

Hope the family one day, realizes what they gave away.. their family history, or part of it.

No one in the family is interested in quilting, so the kids will probably sell it all at dirt cheap prices.. makes me sick.

Still, It Is Beautiful

Georgene, your quilting is beautiful. Perfect choices, even the large area of stippling, because it truly showcases the beautiful applique.

I constantly re-think my quilting choices after I'm too far along to change. I'm hoping someday all those re-thinks will actually pop into my head at the right moment before I get started:D:D

Did anyone see Black Swan? I saw it last night.....the drive to be perfect can also drive us insane!!

Oh, Georgene, your quilting is beautiful and really is so perfect on this gorgeous top. What a lot of time when into piecing this. I'm sure the lady is happy that her family gave it to such a good cause, instead of having it get moldy in a bin in the garage for years until it gets thrown away. If family members don't appreciate quilts, they have no interest in taking care of them. IT's good they gave it away.

How many ways does one say "wonderful"? This is as beautiful as it gets! The dear lady who did the beautiful applique must be smiling down on you, who took her masterpiece and gave it the finish it deserved.

Your quilting is lovely--well balanced, so pleasing to look at--I love the scallops with the parallel lines of stitching--inspired!

I echo the comment that we are our own worst critics--you are obviously so talented and seriously committed to doing the best for the customer AND the quilt.

It's lovely.

Georgene, you have made a beautiful quilt even more beautiful by your lovely quiltiing designs. I love it! Favourites here we come!

It is so sad her family couldn't appreciated her work as much as we do. It is a record of her choices, her skill and her passion for the craft, and you have added to her legacy.

Once again Georgene you give us all inspiration with your fantastic talent! it's beautiful! I think the stipple looks great, it doesn't crowd the design but makes it stand out. I'm with Kay and wonder if the family saw it now if they would have regrets, at least they knew of the guild and didn't send it to Goodwill or similar charity. Please let is know when tickets can be purchased, I'll never make a quilt like this and a raffle is the closest chance I'll ever get own one!

Archived