My first disappearing 9 patch -- Quick gift

This is a real quickie house guest gift from 10” squares. It's a Queen / King size.

My husband and I are going to Florida later this year and will spend a few days with some friends there. We’ve stayed with them before and we usually take them out to dinner or something.

This year I thought I’d make them a quilt. They like nautical, but I didn’t have a lot of time. So I made my very first disappearing 9-patch quilt, starting with 10” squares. I put the red square in the middle, so it became the corner stone. And I put the lighthouse print in the four corners.

I did make it a little hard on myself by using that directional lighthouse print, so I had to figure out which direction to lay them before sewing and cutting the 9-patch.

Since it was nautical, I used the Circle Lord Clamshells, and I used Quilter’s Dream Wool batting. The backing is a Ralph Lauren cotton sheet. It is so soft and smooth.

Instructions for disappearing 9-patch: http://www.popularpatchwork.com/news/article.asp?a=5294

post--13461905708357_thumb.jpg

Georgene, Starting with 10" can you tell me what size were your finished blocks? We are going to friends in April and I might even be able to manage a quilt before then. I know they would be thrilled to have me bring a quilt.

Some people are easy to please and I have discovered friends are delighted to receive a quilt (no matter how simple).

Love all of your great ideas.

Marilyn

I started with nine 10" blocks -- each cut 10" square.

I sewed the 9-patches together (nine of the them), so the finished size would have been 9.5".

I arranged the directional lighthouses so that the red center square was always to the right bottom of the lighthouses.

I hope this helps. I did have to add extra sashing strips and corner stones to two sides.

Archived