Please Pray

Right now I am extremely upset and tears are running down my face. I just received an e-mail from Jessica Schick who had been warned that I was being savaged on another quilting forum.

This is in regards to the quilt we took to Jessica's in WI to do on the IQ. I had called the client while we were there to see if it would be ok to simplify the border as we were under time constraints on how long we could use Jessica's machines. The client refused and we went ahead and did what was requested.

When we originally discussed the quilting I told her the custom would be between .03 and .05. On the phone I told her it would probably be .05. She said that was fine. On the forum she accused me of trying to change the price and everyone said I was not a good business person and she should just come get it back, Never to use me again and tell everyone else the same.

I called her and told her I was disappointed she went to a forum before telling me her concerns. I have some ends to tie off and a little SID work to do and then it will be done. I have been sick since we got home from WI. She has not even seen the quilt yet. But there are 6 pages of venom spewed out there for everyone to read.

I responded gently to the posts explaining my side of the situation but I don't know how much damage has already been done to our reputation and the IQ isn't even installed yet. This is a small rural area and sooner or later most quilters run into each other.

I guess we just have to leave it in God's hands and see what happens but right now I am pretty crushed and discouraged.

Please pray for me, our business and how I emotionally respond to this. I so much wanted to make this business a success not necessarily to make big money but to be able to express my creative side and help other people.

Ahhh nooo that is so sad! :( I'm sorry this happened to you.

OK the only advice I will give you right now is to step back, step down, relax, and TAKE the HIGH ROAD from here on out.

Keep your mouth quiet. Do not discuss further. Do not gossip to anyone. Do not defend yourself or blame her or make excuses. Just zip shut. Let the dust settle.

Rumors will die down. Don't fan the flame with more fuel.

Remember this (wise words my boss told me years ago) "You can't control anyone else's behavior but you can control yours. No body can ruin your reputation except you"

Remember that. Wise words.

High road. Mouth quiet. Remain calm. You know the truth. The truth shall prevail.

Even this shall pass.

(((hugs))) :)

I am so sorry you are going through this. While the internet can be a great tool, it also provided anonymity to people so that they can treat each other in a way they never would face-to-face. I doubt all of your potential clients read the forum. And, there are just as many fair-minded people as there are small-minded ones. I don't believe one bad customer will ruin your business. If you need to explain the situation to anyone, keep your explanation brief. Something like "Mrs. X and I had a miscommunication. While I regret the misunderstanding, I did my best on her quilt and charged her a fair price. It is unfortunate I was not given the opportunity to work something out with her."

Then...NEVER quilt for this woman again. A coward who would trash you on a public forum without giving you a chance to explain or to rectify the situation is not worth your tears or your worry. Its going to be OK, really.

Thanks for the support. I won't respond to or even read any more of the posts about it. I made one gentle and brief explanation and that is it.

Question: This client has also left a baby quilt here for me to do. Should I go ahead and do it or just finish up the custom quilt and give her back the baby quilt. I have no idea what the "business like" thing would be to do. Since everyone on the other site felt I wasn't behaving in a business like manner I want to make sure I handle this appropriately. And I know most of you have been in business a long time.

I'm just grateful Jessica's friend and Jessica stepped in for me. :(

Dry your eyes and breath...this will pass. Shana gave you great advice.

I am shocked that this woman is bad mouthing you on a public forum even before the quilt is even finished. The one thing that is comming to mind is that this woman is trying to bully you to give her a custom job at a low rate or even try to get you to give it to her for free. Whatever you do, DO NOT QUILT THAT 2nd QUILT OF HERS, return it to her unquilted when she picks up the custom...remember she still has to face you in person when she picks it up, right? how awkward that will be for her after she publicly tried to ruin your rep. Keep your cool, I am sure after this no one will ever want to quilt this ladies quilts again.

PS if this happened to me..since the quilt was still in my posession, I would undo all of the quilting I have done on it and return it to her as she gave it to me and tell her to find herself another quilter, that her business was not worth the headache ;) But that is me, lol I am sure you are much nicer and far more kind than I. :)

Ditto on what everyone else has already said, I am sorry this happened to you too. Take the high road and keep your head up, others will notice that you did not jump into the gossip wagon and will base their opinion on what they know about you not what this woman says...I'll bet she ends up with no friends in the end anyway.

I agree with everyone. I would give back the baby quilt. Don't give her any reason to say another word about you or your quilting.

Maybe with custom quilting the best thing is to always quote the higher price, never mention a lower price. That way if it does come out cheaper the customer will be happier.

That Shana is a wise woman, isn't she? I love her take on life.

Great advice already given to you, but I sympathize with what you're going through. I had someone bad mouth my quilting on a DONATION baby quilt that I was told I could practice whatever I wanted on it by the person all the donation quilts were given to to get quilted (I did several donation baby quilts and don't even have a clue as to which one it was or what I quilted on it). I DONATED MY TIME...NO PAYMENT EXCHANGED HANDS. I found out about the bad mouthing AFTER I had already quilted a few paying jobs for this customer. If I'd known she'd bad mouthed my quilting on the donation baby quilt to others before I took on her paying jobs, would I have taken them on? I'll never know. Obviously she likes what I'm doing now because I just finished her 3rd quilt last night and right now money is money. I don't know if she knows that I know that she bad mouthed the donation baby quilt, but it's water under the bridge now. I have no ill feelings towards her (this happened over a year ago), but it would have been nice for her to discuss it with me 1st, and if she would have wanted it quilted specifically, then maybe she could have paid to have it done her way.

Good luck with the "meeting" of when she comes to pick up her quilts and have confidence in yourself that you can get through this. ******What comes to mind is, if God brings you to it, He will see you through it.******

I am so sorry this has happened to you - always take the "high road". The advice given here is the best - finish the quilt you have started, don't do the baby quilt and move on with your head high. There are some people in the world you do not need around you.

I am sure the quilt you are working on is great!!! She will be sorry!!!

This makes me so angry! Some people are just so petty and mean. As everyone has said....take the high road. Practice your smile before she comes. You know, the smile we give our children or grandchildren when they are acting up. The one that lets them know we are tolerating their bad behavior because we are adults and they are not!!!! :mad:

Many people who know you will just consider the source and I don't think you will be hurt by this at all. You have the support of all here and the prayers that will be said in your behalf. Cooler heads prevail!!! See what she wants you to do with the baby quilt if for nothing else just curiosity, if she wants you to do it she must have faith in you and what she said will come back to haunt her someday. If she doesn't--tough loss on her part--just shows what she's made of. Maybe she's had time to think as all people are basically good--well most- LOL

Think of the wonderful friends and customers you do have and you know from them you're better than this! ---grasshopper

P.S. You could always poop in her yard!!! Thought you needed a laugh!

I feel so badly for you. it is physically and mentally painful to be unjustly accused.

Shana is right TAKE THE HIGH ROAD!

The friends and people that know you will not believe the stories and the others will believe what they want to believe. Save you breath. You are in my prayers. Hold your head up it will work out.

I too think that Shana gives good advice. I have always said that I am not responsible for what others say to me or about me and my only concern and responsiblity is what comes out of my mouth. Therefore, I too would take the high road and leave it at that.

You will accomplish more for your reputation than she can by bad mouthing you.

Shana gives great advice and I am sorry you had to run into this so early in your new adventure. I would not quilt the baby quilt either but maybe you will be surprised and she will be so pleased with what you have done once she sees the beautiful quilting that she will change her tune. She may ask you to also complete the baby quilt but make sure you are both in agreement on the price so she cannot change her story. Do you use intake sheets which the customer has to sign? Linda Reche shared hers with me and I am sure she would with you if you asked her to. (The people on this forum are so wonderful).

Archived