encouragement

i've always struggled with SIDing around applique. it's cause i don't get enough quilts that i need to SID around to 'practice' :) but i wanted to share this picture cause i finally feel that i have 'perfected' my technique and i'm proud and knew y'all would 'get' that

my hands and brain are working so well together without me i have to be quiet or they mess up

i'm not using a poly/monofilament. the thread is a blue to match the background.

my point is this- it has taken 6 years to get here....don't give up when trying something new...sometimes you just have to hold your mouth just right :) anything worth doing is worth doing badly for as long as it takes

post--13461905937594_thumb.jpg

Your SID is looking perfect, I can't see it!

I keep hearing Sue Patton say, 'The ditch is not next to the seam, it is in the seam.' SID was one of those things that I didn't want to do because I found it to be quite challenging. I had several quilts that required SID and used Superior MonoPoly thread and with the M&M wheels it is sooooo much easier for me to do. Now I look at SID as just another part of the quilting process, no big deal! It isn't perfect, but it improves just a little bit each time that I do it.

Love that statement you made, Shannon, "anything worth doing is worth doing badly for as long as it takes". I believe if we keep doing it, whatever it is, we will get better over time.

Originally posted by meg

may i ask if you use any type of guide or is it completely freehand? microhandles or not?

i wish it was freehand! i do use my fingers as a guide, but not here.

i use the Accu-guide thing from lovetoquilt.com (donita reeve). i stick my pinkie finger in the straight end and 'pivot' on that. it's a push/pull thing.

no micro drive handles. they get in the way more than anything...i do use donita reeve's ruler base. i like that it screws to the machine. my old shall-remain-nameless ruler based rocked to much.

i find that for me working clockwise around the motif works better for my brian...plus i come down the border designs...but you might be different...try it all ways to see which ways 'clicks' for you.

i do use my SR at 10SPI and just go slow and take my time. this quilt is the Aunt Millie's garden from Piece of Cake Designs and (with my bum shoulder) it took me all day to do 4 blocks and the quiltiable portion of the side borders. it's a show quilt with wool, so everything has to be stabilized before i can fill the background...

Thanks for sharing, Doods!

Seems like the key is always the trying! Try, try, practice, get better, try some more, and there you are!

I was drooling over the close stitching and realized how tiny the applique is when I saw that gigantic hopping foot! You are GOOD!

Hope your shoulder heals well and fast!

Are you right handed or left handed and which hand do you hold the accuguide with?? When I tried to use the accuguide it seemed like it felt better to me to hold the guide with my left hand and I am right handed. Thanks so much for trying to help the rest of us out here.

Archived