Batting Alert Quilters Dream 70/30

I'm just finishing a quilt for a customer who brought me Quilters Dream 70/30. I am completely disappointed in it, and I'm afraid she will be, too. It has even less loft than Warm and Natural, which I don't use unless I have to. I have used and loved the results obtained when using both Hobbs Wool and Hobbs Premium 80/20, and one would think if 80/20 is so good, a 70/30 would be even better. NOT. At least, not when two different companies are involved. If Hobbs made a 70/30, that would probably be a different story. So beware!

I think sometimes we have to ask ourselves and our customers if this is the finished look they want for their/our quilt (s). Because battings and different combination of battings will give a different look. QD, Hobbs and Warm 'n Natural make great batts. It is the purpose of each batting to be different and it is something our customers often don't take in to consideration when choosing one to finish off their quilt.

Warm 'n Natural and QD 70/30 aren't meant to have a lot if any definition in the quilting.

So the question is "How much definition do you want with the quilting?" Do you want the quilting to stand out, to blend in or do you want a happy medium between the first two.

QD Blend (70/30) only comes in the SELECT. I have this on the roll and it is very very comparable to the Hobbs. I have never used the bagged product so don't know what that is like. Most of the other QD products come in several lofts (Request, Select, Deluxe). I would never use the Request for long-arm quilting. What a shame you have had this experience. I'd check the bag again (she did bring it in a bag, right?) and if it is indeed a QD Blend and the results are disappointing I'd give QD a call.

I too am a QD user but you are right that you won't get the loft you get with 80/20. They are different batts. It is a beautiful batting and lasts well but it is much more like Warm and Natural. I have customers that love this feel so your customer might too. What I did that really helps my customer pick out the batting that is right for them is that I made up samples. I have a washed and unwashed sample so they can get an idea of how it will look quilted and how it will feel different once washed. This has really made such a difference for my customers and they all really appreciate that I have them.

QD Blend 70/30 is my favorite. I've never had any problems. Do you think you could have gotten a bad piece. I got a bad roll of Warm & White once and it really turned me off but I have used it since then with no problems. Sometimes there can be manufacturers defects. :(

I love QD 70/30 and their wool and black poly. Never had problems with them. I also keep Hobbs wool and their 80/20 as well as Legacy in stock. I have quilted samples to show my customers to help them decide which batting to use.

Corey

I also love QD 70/30. It isn't "puffy" but that's what most customers in my area want...a flatter batting. It is a very sturdy and stable batting...no stretching or shredding. You don't poke a thumb through it when trying to smooth it. I guess its a matter of personal preference.

I am also a QD fan, big time. Many/most of my customers think it is too expensive so they use the batting from JoAnn's when they have their 40% off coupon. Another trend that I'm seeing is they are bringing me king size bats for their lap quilts. It is a real PITA to have all that surplice. They feel they get a better bang for their buck if they do it this way. I am supposed to have the quilt top very close to one edge, so the extra batting is all on one side. This way they can have large pieces of batting leftover and will then piece it together for a future quilt.

I had one lady bring me a beautiful queen size Civil War quilt that she spent a year piecing and I spent 87 hours quilting...with crappy batting. When I suggested QD wool, she said it was too expensive. Go figure!

I cut the batting down before putting it on the frame if I have an over-size bat..3" larger than the quilt top on all sides. They will have to deal with the loss of the extra inches!

I provide batting at a very reasonable charge to my customers. My charges pay for the batting and shipping with a bit extra. They can't get it at that price anywhere else, and it means they don't bring me stuff I don't like. But, I don't have an LQS that I am in competition with on batting, either.

I love the QD battings including the Blend. It's not meant to have the loft of Hobbs 80/20. My disappointment with the Hobbs 80/20 is the shrinkage. I don't recommend its use unless the customer knows the shrinkage issue. The QD batts simply don't shrink very much. For me, they are safer to use and recommend. Their wool batting is all I use for my family quilts. Love that company!

I also cut the extra batting off before I quilt. I try to leave about 4 inches around the quilt. It's just too much that hangs over the quilt. I have used the Request on quilts that the customers wanted it to be light. I had no problems quilting it. I like the QD Blend and have had no problems with the results. I guess it is all in the look people prefer. I just bought a roll of the wool. I like the idea that it is lighter. It gets hot here and I prefer a lighter weight batting myself. I charge customers "by the inch" for the batting. I let them choose what they want to use. I have the whole line of QD products. Even the Dream Green, which people like (I guess because it's recycled). Never tried the Hobbs. Where can I get it wholesale?

I have used QD blend for years. I, too. like it and never have had a problem with their product.

But I do understand what Marilyn means. I think that the stitching looks better on Hobbs 80/20.....the thread literally sinks into the fabric so you see more stitch definition. I find the stitches lay rather flat on top of the quilt with QD....less dimensional look. I believe you have understand the look, feel and the weight you think your customers want.

I like the fact QD has no limits on wholesale orders.

Originally posted by cblevins

Hitomi, you can get Hobbs wholesale at checkers distributors or from Lynn Heilman. Lynn is great to work with. Her # is (913) 492 8877 I love Hobbs 80/20 and their poly down.

I probably didn't word that correctly. You can buy wholesale from checkers OR you can buy from Lynn. I have a wholesale account with checkers now so that is where I buy mine. I used to purchase from Lynn.

Archived