Who would you nominate?

I am inspired by so many quilt artists, if not in person than by books and magazines.

I honestly can't choose who has made the biggest impact on my quilting. I think it has been a wonderful journey and without all these amazingly talented artists who inspire us, none of us would be where we are today.

There are so many great teachers. Here are my top 3 favorites: Dawn Cavanaugh, Jamie Wallen & Linda Taylor. They are excellent teachers, they take time with each and every student in their classes. They offer praise and words of encouragement to everyone. But they are just a lot of fun to be around too.

I have to speak up for this forum. I haven't been able to attend any classes, and have used and learned a lot from CDs by DeLoa, Myrna and Dawn. However, all my dumb/newbie questions have been answered quickly, carefullly, and patiently. You frequently demonstrate a particular design or fill - post a drawing as well as showing a sample. I know it isn't the same as a hands-on class, but you all should know how much we appreciate your unselfish sharing.

I have to agree with the others here. I have learned so much from everyone here on the forum and you are always there and waiting to help. I have only had three classes. each instructor was awesome! But this forum wow. You are even here at 3 in the morning!!!! LOL

Thanks to everyone!

Myrna Ficken..because she is so upbeat, creative, and relaxed.

Kimmy Brunner, because she is so calm and inspiring.

Sue Patten...because you can't help but love Sue! Fun, funny and so generous with her ideas.

Karen McTavish, because she is so down-to-earth and encouraging.

Guest Linda S

I would say the teacher who has inspired and taught me the most over the years is Karen McTavish. Other favorites are Kimmy Brunner, Renae Haddadin, and Dawn Cavanaugh.

Definitely Deloa Jones, Myrna Ficken, Dawn Cavanagh, Jamie Wallen, Sue Patten and Pam Clarke.

I've never taken classes with Kim Brunner but have learnt a lot from her DVDs and magazine articles too.

Thank you to all of them and also, to everyone on this forum who shares. I'm learning all the time from you too!

I am certainly not an expert, but most of the quilting I have learned came from DeLoa Jones and Jamie Wallen. They have both been so patient with my mishaps. I'm very left-brained (degrees in mathematics and computer science) and not very artistic. They break it down, patiently have me do it again and again until I've got it. While I'm still having trouble with feathers (can't seem to get them rounded correctly), they have helped me to do so many other things. Definitely--DeLoa and Jamie!!!

Anette

Can I just nominate all of them? What a fine collective group of teachers we have in our quilty world. It's as though one goes with the other, and those two belong with two others and it multiplies from there.... none of them should be separated from the other teachers. Just sayin'!!!

I didn't get paid to say this, I'm just a student == and fortunate recipient from all of the names listed above, and some that haven't been mentioned (yet) ;)

I have been inspired (and continue to be inspired) by the work of Sharon Schamber. For design and quilting, I learned much from some classes with her. Have added many of your other recommendations to my list of future teachers to choose. Great idea for a thread, thanks for posting it. Nancy in Tucson

DeLoa Jones. All her books and rulers are so longarm friendly. She has such a great personality and is always cheerful and helpful. Jamie Wallen is also terrific as a teacher. He's so complimentary and patient. I haven't had any classes from Dawn yet, but I'm sure she'll be in my group of favorites after MQX this year.

Oh dear, how could I have forgotten Jamie Wallen! He is the sweetest and most generous man I have ever met! He is always encouraging ( even if your feathers are flat) LOL and willing to share his knowledge. I love his quilting style. I was at a show in Columbus, Ohio and took one look at the quilt on display and knew it was one of Jamie's. Thanks to all the talented and generous teachers in this industry!

chris

Archived