Garden Angels Quilt with photos

Just finished this cute quilt and had to share. When the customer brought the top, she said she did not really like it, but did not know why.

I decided the problem was the dark brown fabrics overshadowed the pastel angels and created an imbalance. So, I outlined the angels in a dark sage green Bottom Line (went over it twice to darken), and also outlined the colorful patch towers. Then I used my Quiltazoid to stitch circles around each angel (Rainbows 'Spring Fling). I think the overlapping circles created interest. Then I used white Bottom Line for the pebbling inside the circles, to further highlight the angels.

I loved the pebbling texture, and decided to use a yellow Bottom Line for the rest of the background quilting, to create further contrast. I thought about doing a border design, but couldn't come up with one that seemed right, so I went with more background design.

Other threads used were Madeira Monofil clear, to stitch-in-ditch the borders and zig zag the edges of all fusible applique patches (which were already coming off). Rainbows 'Pinata' for continous curve over patches in towers. King Tut 'Fig' over vines and leaves.

Quilters Dream Natural Cotton Select Loft -- I was surprised at the puff with the angels. I think it is because I only outlined the patches and did dense pebbling next to them.

post--13461908104157_thumb.jpg

Archived