Cinco de Mayo/Karen Stone Quilt

I decided to be brave and use a fun contrasting thread for the back, since it was a kid's quilt. Well, I used periwinkle Bottom Line, which didn't turn out to be all that 'out there', but it is still fun to see the quilting on the back. Used Quilters Dream Cotton Select Batt. Thanks for looking!

post--13461908218041_thumb.jpg

Originally posted by Beachside Quilter

Wow, Joan! The quilt is fabulous. Please share how you quilted the arc shapes.

Vickie, the arc shapes were freehand. I played with ideas for making 'masculine' feathers, and came up with the square ends to the feathers. I knew if I did arcs, some sort of secondary design would appear, so that is what I went with.

Joan:

Not to be knit-picky but that quilt is not Cinco de Mayo...it is Karen Stone's Lady Liberty Goes to Hawaii. I know because I made it a few years back and just started another variation of this pattern this week. Cinco de Mayo is much more complicated. That being said, I love - love - love how you quilted it...especially the designs in the centers of the circles. What a great job and what a lucky kid! Thanks so much for sharing the inspiration with us. Nancy in Tucson

Archived