Creepy Cousin to the "Rush Job" Thread

Guest Linda S

Guest Linda S

Okay, while we're telling tales, I throw this one at you.

I got an email from a young lady who told me she'd been to my website, looked at my quilts, saw mention of trapunto, googled trapunto and shadow trapunto, and wanted to come and talk with me about making her a shadow trapunto quilt. I cautioned her that this process was very expensive, hoping to save her from embarrassingly pooping cupcakes when I told her the price. She assured me she was aware, and came ahead. When she got here, she informed me that she really didn't need a quilt, because she already had a comforter, but she had seen this duvet cover in a catalog on line and really liked it. She brought a picture. It was basically a piece of fabric with a bunch of rows of ruffles sewn on it in arcs (think one big baptist fan). Pretty, but not really something one would think of having a quilter do, and nothing at all to do with shadow trapunto. She showed it to me on line on the website, and it was $389, but it was blue. She wanted peach. I noticed it also came in white. I suggested she buy white and dye it. Well, she had seen this DIY site that said you could make a ruffly thing like that for less. I said yes, YOU could make it for less. I, on the other hand, would probably charge you a minimum of about $600 for such a thing. Well, she decided she'd go home and think about it and maybe she really did want a shadow trapunto quilt and she'd email me again. She left and I was relieved thinking I'd never hear from her again. WRONG. She sends another email with a picture of nearly the same thing as she wanted in the first place and wanted to know how much that would be, along with a link to the DIY website!! :mad: This is what I sent to her:

Dear $^#$#^@:

I think you may be looking for a less expensive, DIY version of the things you have in mind, and that's not something I can provide. A queen-sized quilt, even a whole cloth with a simple over-all pattern, would cost in the neighborhood of $600. Trapunto work and shadow would be more expensive than that. As you can see on my website, I charge by the square inch, and when you add all the materials, the quilting, the binding, the hand finishing, and design work, it does get expensive. As much as I would love to help you realize the vision you have in mind, I don't think it is really in the realm of what I usually do. I wish you the best in finding the perfect fruition of your dream.

Linda

I should have added. Now PLEASE leave me alone!! :P

Guest Linda S

BTW--you win!!

Unfortunately, I'm aware that things happen to many of us on a daily basis that top anything we write here. I have a feeling a lot of things get forgotten after we've pounded our heads against a wall or had too many martinis to make ourselves forget!

Pooping cupcakes!!! Is that an American term, because in Canada we say sh___ing bricks!

Well, I was just (rare for me, I know) trying to be polite. We usually say sh__ting cupcakes, puppies, kittens, bricks, or whatever comes to mind! :P

Well, Linda I truly needed a laugh tonight! I'm was trying to prepare 4 Halloween quilts ready for quilting. It turned out to be a bigger task than I wanted today and tonight. Yes, I did say Halloween quilts. My family would really be p__p_ _ _ cupcakes and bricks if I had finished these before Halloween. I decided, I'm I not late, just early for the 2012 year.

Thanks for all of the laughs and comments. I just love this group and so delighted to be a member. Enjoy your Wednesday! CiCi

These rush job threads have been the best...especially for my week. I had this week reserved for 2 throws from LQS that I was to get last Friday. Monday late afternoon they dropped off 4 to be done for MN quilt show they leave for next Tuesday. A huge RUSH as I fly to Baltimore tomorrow for our daughters shower/bachelorette. As I write this I have 2 and 4/5ths done...finish up number 3 and then onto number 4...come on Edna...you can do it! Doing work for a LQS puts one between a rock and a hard place...

• 3 weeks later...

I had never heard of the pooping cupcakes got me to laugh! Ok I had a lady still don't know how she got my number won't tell me exactly.. Well she wanted me to only figure out how to put sashings on cross stitched frogs and then she says oh yah while your at it please make an applique lily pad for the frogs to sit on. Well she took me by surprise and I explained that's not really what I do and you would need to take them home and wash the breakfast lunch and dinner out of them before I will even touch them. She said oh yah I like to eat while I'm stitching. Well it came to bite me in the as# she left another quilt I didn't ask for down payment and low and behold her number has been disconneted. Now I'm pooping cupcakes it was a 300.oo job. All I can do is laugh.

Way to go, Linda. You handled it well. I hope she leaves you alone.

I LOVED cupcakes, now not so much. HA HA The pooping cupcakes is too funny! I had a good laugh. My sons (8 & 9) were looking over my shoulder, reading the posting. They both at the same time chimed out "ooooohh". "Mom who likes pooping cupcakes?" I think you have scarred them for life. LOL

Hubby does service work, and he came home from fixing a house the other day with a strange little 'gift' for me.... he had been working away and the homeowner wanted to give him something to drink. Well, he's given up soda completely, so that was out and the homeowner just couldn't stand it and kept offering him treats til hubby finally accepted this 'coconut cone'...it's this sort of cone shaped thing covered with chocolate, and well, it looked pretty funny to us!

(hence, this post in the 'pooping cupcakes thread!') roflol!

We finally got brave enough to cut into it, and it turned out to be a volcano-shaped macaroon cookie type thing covered in semi-sweet chocolate...and tasted MUCH better than it looked! lol! It was nice and coconutty, not too sweet and not too much chocolate. (I know, I'm weird, I'm just not a big fan of chocolate.)

Archived