Terrific Thursday 9/06/12-what are you doing today?

Just delivered--an art quilt put together by a guild group for our auction in October.

The buildings are iconic to our three cities. The brick building is the old Olympia Brewery, there's our old state capitol, our present state capitol, our new Children's Museum, the old Carnegie Library, and two famous mansions. The grey blob on the bottom left is a popular statue on our waterfront--a kissing couple. And of course--"the Mountain".

Each building was either photographed and transferred to fabric, photographed and then built of fused fabric, or photographed and digitized for stitching on an embroidery machine. Each done by a different member and all really interesting.

I was stitching through as many as six layers of fabric and stabilizer. Batting was a challenge. Quilting was a challenge. It's done and they hope to find a local corporate entity to purchase it for their lobby or to display in a public area like the Senior Center.

post--13492895114303_thumb.jpg

That's really neat !!! Nice job on the quilting too.

Doing some odds and ends today to get ready to leave next week for our cruise. I want to clean my house and start laying out the things I want to pack.

I have a quilt of mine loaded and ready to quilt, but the "ideas" of what to do on it haven't come to me yet. No hurry, as it is my quilt and not made for anyone or anything special.

The weather is cooling off again and feeling more like Fall. After such a blistering hot summer, I am more than ready for a little nip in the air and to open the windows again.

Great quilt Linda. I like your idea that it needs to go somewhere that many people can see it.

No quilting for me as new hubby and I are getting ready to move to his home about 50 miles south of Salem. I have my home in Salem up for sale, and we are hoping for a quick sale on it. Moving was the last thing that I wanted to do as I've only been here 1 1/2 yrs, but his place is on 5 acres and it has a huge shop that he can play in. The home is bigger and there is room for my Millie and a room right next to that for my domestic machine and stash. It will definately be a transition for me and old home week for him. We are going to be doing quite a bit of painting and some work in the kitchen, but it will be a good home for us. So probably not a lot of quilting for a bit until we can get all settled. :)

Great quilt, and fabulous quilting!

PJ - Good luck on your move - more new beginnings for you and many positive thoughts coming your way!

Today I'm on the 3rd Tree of Life quilt, just finished the 2nd of three Robyn Pandolph quilts, then onto the 3rd Civil war quilt... All the same, so instead of trying to "reinvent" each one, I'm basically doing the same... They go to different people who each took the same classes... Have enjoyed them all, and so grateful for the business!!!

Have a wonderful Thursday!

I've got a donation quilt for an auction, it's a baby boy quilt on the frame, loaded & ready to do something quick on it.

I will be able to get to it, if I get all my work done for the Dr.'s this afternoon! After that, I have another donation baby girl quilt for auction, to also do something quick.

I'd just finished a hugh Husker Quilt for the same benefit, which should be signed and dated by our own Coach Pelini! (happens to just go to our church as well), so, hoping it makes lots of $$ for our new school to be added on to! Right now, we are able to teach grades K-4..raising $ to get 5-8 open and running within a year. We are on stage 2 or 4 for completion, including our new church.

Hopefully (?) I am going to finish quiltng another sampler quilt, I must say I am getting fairly tired of them. I've had three in a row! I will post pictures after I get if off the frame. Like Bobbi I am grateful for the business, but sheesh I wish sometimes for more variety.

Both last year and this year my neighbor planted a huge garden, both years extremely serious health issues with her husband right at harvest times have prevented her from taking care of the garden. So I have been doing that and canning everything from relish to cherry jelly. It's been so hard to see them go through all the pain and suffering. We almost lost him six weeks ago and he is finally home again from six weeks in the hospital and six operation in as many days. We split all the canned stuff 50/50, but I told her next year don't plant to much! I had my husband take a lot of produce to the local food bank there is so much I can't put it all up, I'm going broke buying jars but my cupboards looks great!

Beautiful quilt Linda, I hope it ends up in a public place for more to enjoy it too. Must have been a challenge quilting through all those layers!

Patty Jo! I am so excited for you! A huge home with lots of dedicated sewing spaces, WooHoo!! I'll keep my fingers crossed for a quick sale on your home in Salem! Enjoy living in the "country" !

Lucy, have a fantastic time with DeLoa!!

Good happy Thursday everyone! I finished my "Crown of Thorns" quilt top. Finally! It seemed to take me forever. I am used to piecing a top in 4 or 5 days, a day or two of quilting and voila I am done. I didn't realize until I really started putting it all together that there were 100 blocks in this quilt so a couple of weeks wasn't bad I guess. I am going to prepare my backing, get this beast loaded and hope to start quilting today.

I have spent the morning trying to post pictures of this quilt top to get some of your expertise on choosing quilting designs to get this top quilted and off the frame. I can't seem to get it figured out. I tried following Oma's instructions that are easy to understand. But the pictures don't post. I have resized the pictures and saved them to my desktop and put the pictures in the attachment box when creating a posting. I don't know what I am doing wrong. I am pulling my hair out! Anyone have any suggestions that could help me out?

I am supposed to be helping my DH hang drywall in my new kitchen. I lucked out, our son showed up to relieve me of my duties. Now all I have to do is fetch coffee once in a while and fix lunch. Yahoo!!

Linda, beautiful quilt. Agreed, it needs to be displayed in a public place for all to enjoy.

Patty Jo, Congratulations on new hubby and new home. Have fun putting it all together. You will have to post pics of your new sewing space.

Lucy, How lucky you are to have Deloa pay a visit. Have fun!!

Deb, Your quilting is beautiful. I can't wait to see finished pictures.

Hope everyone has a Terrific Thursday!!

Guest Linda S

Nice work quilters! I'm working on finishing up a Bali Wedding Star. I was hoping to get away without having to quilt down the blue diamonds, but it looks like I will have to. This was made by my client without benefit of the Judy Niemeyer pattern. She did an awesome job figuring it out, but it is not without issues and an abundance of fullness. I don't like the design I chose for the big blocks, but the little feathers are nice.

post--13492895118684_thumb.jpg

Gosh Linda R, Linda S , Debbie, and Kristina your quilting is fabulous~~~~~~~~~~

Sounds like everyone is busy!!!~

I'm still working on DL's GMF and have it pinned and stitching the last seams by hand and have one block that the stitching needs to be resewn. The bottom edge is going to be straight at last~~~~~

This is the first section I added to

2292211440105608746S425x425Q85.jpg

this is the second section I added to and a picture of the quilt's edge with the fabric added it!

2969946950105608746S425x425Q85.jpg2027901020105608746S425x425Q85.jpg

Well I have one quilt on the frame. Piecing one for my cousins wedding next weekend. Thought I would have it pieced by Saturday but son went bow hunting and I ended up babysitting his boxer for a couple days so I'm just trying to keep peace between my poms and her. Maybe I can sew in a couple of hours after she settles in. If all else fails she can go to the garage with hubby when he gets home from work.

Archived