More Feathers - Just Change My Name to Feathers.

Hahaha - you  might as well just change my name to feathers.  I'm pretty much obsessed...and I'm not hiding it very well am I?

I just wanted to show today's practice.  I attempted feathers earlier with So Fine! thread on a customer quilt and here's my feathers with 40wt. Isacord.  I like the thicker thread better believe it or not!  It's easier to find my way back to the spine and the thread build up is more intentional looking than "whoops".

Anyone else find feathers are easier with thicker thread?

I got paid a little bit today so I'm buying - thread.  :)

post-10627-0-80944300-1360702682_thumb.jpg

The feathers look great! I have to say I quilt almost exclusively with So Fine. I always felt that if I wobbled it showed much more with the heavier thread. I am not as fond of the heavy thread build up on the spine if you have to backtrack a lot. But I think that is a personal opinion. I am sure others will chime in as really liking the heavier spines. Thank goodness we are all individuals! Otherwise, what would we have to share!

Thanks guys!

Chrisquilter - hahaha isn't that funny?  I'm going to keep trying with the thin thread but I find it just the opposite...if I wobble with the thick thread I can go back and kind of, retrace it and cover up the goof.  With thin thread I feel like I have to be more accurate!  I know not all customers want that thick thready feathery look too so I guess I better keep practicing.

Annie - I really want to try Glide, that's what I'm placing my order for.  I really like Isacord and glide is a little less pricey.  Hoping they are similar.

James - you are gonna get those feathers.  I had to draw a million feathers before I could do it on the sewing machine...and I can do pretty much two kinds of feathers on the long arm lol**  We will just have to keep practicing!!  I did half hearts for a long time too - then progressed to sort of stemmy long feathers and then started doing bump bump feathers and so far I like the shape I get with those the best.  I also like a thicker open spine - less thread build up and easier to get back to the spine.  Maybe that will help?

Peggy - me either!!!!!  In one sense I'm impatient and want to master it NOW, but on the other hand, I've only had it three weeks and it looks like years between quilt number one and this.  It's so much fun though!

Julie - thank you!  Well, it helps that I've been sewing them for a LONG time on my domestic.  I'm still not totally amazing on the domestic even but they have really improved over the last few years and so I sort of knew what styles I liked better, just a matter of getting the machine to do what I tell it to!

Your feathers here are looking yummy! I love the thread play! I adore feathers too and probably have drawn a million of them (well, at least thousands...ok, maybe hundreds. :) ). I'm getting the knack of doing them on the longarm too but still need some more practice. Funny you should mention the thicker thread hiding mistakes. I was getting ready to do a quilt with Glide thread and had a practice piece on just to tweak my tension so I stitched a long swirly feather and it came out great! I guess a thinner thread vs a thicker thread would depend on the quilt top and which you want to show off more...texture or the thread design/thread color. A very traditional quilt would look better with a matching, thin thread I would think. It's all a matter of preference. I'm a big So Fine fan but I really like the Glide thread...wonderful, rich colors!

Hi Valerie. I couldn't tell by your post. Did you like the sew fine better than the isacord? Glide is a little bit more noticable on a quilt than isacord. Personally I'm not a huge fan of the glide for one reason...I think it isn't as strong as I would like...it seems to shred a bit. I quilted a quilt today with glide and it may be the last time I use it on a panto. Others have different experiences with it though. Just a heads up not to get carried away and buy a bunch of one thread until you are really sure you like it and the way it performs!

Your feathers are terrific!! I still can't do them to my satisfaction so I have settled for doing leaves most of the time.  I am not fond of Glide thread either, I much prefer Floriani or anything Superior. I know I am kind of weird as everyone loves their Glide but then that is what makes this family so exciting, all of our differences.

Valerie, I think those muscles are retrained -- you are doing great with your feathers!!

I am a big fan of heavier, even colorful thread, largely because, as you said, I can see it! I use the 40 wt so fine( formerly Brytes) a lot and also Rainbows.

But, one thing I have learned from seeing others' work on this forum is that there is a time and place for less visible thread. I just finished a quilt for a friend ( gave it to her without taking pictures!! i am really photo challenged) and used Glide-- I really liked it! I also was using the magna-glide bobbins for the first time and have never had such a trouble free quilt experience!!

As for feathers, i think most of us adore beautiful feathers!! there are so many ways to do them. i usually end up with freeform feathers because i haven't mastered bump back yet to my satisfaction.

I also have to be very careful with the stems, which I find almost more challenging to do well than the feathers. One thing I learned from watching Sharon Schamber videos is another way to get back to the bottom of the feather- tight echo of the feather fronds.

I just appreciate your enthusiasm so much!!

Thank you guys SO much!!!  I am such a total quilting junkie.  Nice to fit in some where!!!  ;)

Your feathers are terrific!! I still can't do them to my satisfaction so I have settled for doing leaves most of the time.  I am not fond of Glide thread either, I much prefer Floriani or anything Superior. I know I am kind of weird as everyone loves their Glide but then that is what makes this family so exciting, all of our differences.

Bekah I have never heard of Floriani - is that a brand?  I'm going to look that up!

Hi Valerie. I couldn't tell by your post. Did you like the sew fine better than the isacord? Glide is a little bit more noticable on a quilt than isacord. Personally I'm not a huge fan of the glide for one reason...I think it isn't as strong as I would like...it seems to shred a bit. I quilted a quilt today with glide and it may be the last time I use it on a panto. Others have different experiences with it though. Just a heads up not to get carried away and buy a bunch of one thread until you are really sure you like it and the way it performs!

Bonnie thank you for letting me know that Glide is thicker than Isacord - I actually like the Isacord A LOT!  I wasn't sure at first.  I had to use it on a few quilts, same with the So Fine.  I like the Isacord because the backtracking doesn't build up so thick that the needle seems like it's crunching through thread to stitch.  I do like SoFine for quilts that I don't want the thread to be so visible...but I think MY personal preference is for the thicker thread.  I am quilting for others though and have to keep in mind what I like isn't what everybody likes.  :)

'Pumpkin-feathers', I am amazed how you've nailed them so quickly - way to go!  Look closely at pictures others post here, and you will see that your feathers are neck to neck with far more than you think!

Aww thanks Marci!!!  I do think I will be saving up for Intelli Stitch though.  I am even doing some stitch in the ditch now and just stopping at the end of each row for accuracy, but I'd like the ability to slow down without wonky stitches.  For now I'm realizing though, there is a LOT I can do still without it!

Valerie, I think those muscles are retrained -- you are doing great with your feathers!!

I am a big fan of heavier, even colorful thread, largely because, as you said, I can see it! I use the 40 wt so fine( formerly Brytes) a lot and also Rainbows.
But, one thing I have learned from seeing others' work on this forum is that there is a time and place for less visible thread. I just finished a quilt for a friend ( gave it to her without taking pictures!! i am really photo challenged) and used Glide-- I really liked it! I also was using the magna-glide bobbins for the first time and have never had such a trouble free quilt experience!!

As for feathers, i think most of us adore beautiful feathers!! there are so many ways to do them. i usually end up with freeform feathers because i haven't mastered bump back yet to my satisfaction.
I also have to be very careful with the stems, which I find almost more challenging to do well than the feathers. One thing I learned from watching Sharon Schamber videos is another way to get back to the bottom of the feather- tight echo of the feather fronds.

I just appreciate your enthusiasm so much!!

Thank you so much!!  To be truthful, free form feathers are NOT my forte!!  My plumes start to look alien like!!!  LOL*  Bump bump feathers just seem to make sense to me and give me the best shape.

Thank you for the tip from Sharon Schamber!  I just love her!!!  Diane Gaudynski is a domestic sewing machine gal but she also teaches the tight echo.  I was practicing that on my lil' practice piece and found that to use that thick thread...an open spine and that echo prevents the thread build up if you don't like it. 

I was looking at Feathered Fibers blog (the quilt whisperer) and she uses a thicker thread it looks like too.  I noticed on many of the quilts she just uses a blending thread, but a thick one, and it blends right in.  I'm going to try that and see how it looks over So Fine.  I'd like to find one or two threads that I really like and kind of stock up on those threads.  I love Superior Threads but it's just SUPER pricey, and for what I'm charging right now I'd lose all my money on thread. I'm kind of hanging out until I get my tax ID and can buy wholesale before I order there.  Not to mention, much of what they make I think is just a version of poly often used for other purposes that they sort of rename an explain why it works well for quilting.  Which is fine because I love their thread, but I think there are some less expensive alternatives out there that work as well in the mean time!  :)  They just have the super best selection of anywhere!!!

Thank you about my enthusiasm!! LOLOLOL**  My friends tease me ALL THE TIME!!  I have been quilting nearly ten years and I still can't get enough.  It's a challenge and there is ALWAYS something new to learn, a new skill to master, and that keeps it really interesting for me.  :)

I also think your feathers are yummy! Really good job. I also have to echo someone else's post, just buy a small amount of thread until you know you love it. I thought that Glide was the be all, end all thread  and found I don't use it as much as I thought I would. My go to thread is So Fine. All a matter of taste and application I guess. It's all good. K

Archived