My First Bargello Quilt

My most recent customer quilt was a large Bargello (94 x 102) that was made by a 17 year old girl for her 4-H sewing project.  I was so impressed by her piecing skills!  She had said that she didn't pin anything and her seams lined up beautifully!  There were no D cups and the borders were mostly flat also, just a couple small areas of extra fullness on the sides.  If she can piece a quilt this well at 17 years old, just think what beautiful quilts she will make when she is "our age"!  :P

Anyway, she really wanted it custom quilted with molar feathers and other assorted feathers, not just quilted with an edge to edge design.  She had a color picture of a bargello that was quilted similarly to how she wanted it so I took that in mind and went for it.  Here's what I ended up doing with her beautiful quilt:

9367238788_8f99c15321_z.jpg
100_2420.jpg by CrazyAboutQuilting, on Flickr

9364459767_76ac446470_z.jpg
100_2422.jpg by CrazyAboutQuilting, on Flickr

9367244860_5b7a122cbd_z.jpg
100_2394.jpg by CrazyAboutQuilting, on Flickr

9364469867_737d48e3de_z.jpg
100_2398.jpg by CrazyAboutQuilting, on Flickr

9364465037_e60993fbf6_z.jpg
100_2401.jpg by CrazyAboutQuilting, on Flickr

9364528907_1699bea0b4_z.jpg
100_2406.jpg by CrazyAboutQuilting, on Flickr

Sorry for so many pictures but I had soooooo much fun quilting this quilt!  The only down side was that I had to change thread 7 times for every advance of the quilt!  The batting in the quilt is Dream Wool and the threads used were Isacord for my top thread and So Fine Super Bobs in similar bobbin colors to coordinate with the top threads. 

The colors in this quilt are so bright and beautiful!  I'm sure you'll notice that the design isn't quite right all the way through......the pattern was for a quilt the size of a throw but she wanted to make it big enough for her bed.  I have never made a Bargello yet so I would have no idea how to figure out how to make a queen sized quilt from a throw.  But even so, her quilt turned out beautiful.  She was so thrilled with it when she picked it up on Monday evening.  She said it was exactly what she was hoping for and she thanked me at least a dozen times. 

Anyway, thanks for looking.  :)

She better get a Grand for that!  And I want to see it in the State Fair next month!!!  She did a wonderful job with the selection and the enlargement.  Your quilting has finished it off well.  Let us know what she gets on it.

BTW: are you going to the Fair this year?  I will be up to watch the dairy show, my granddaughters have a cow and calf being shown.  That family of 4 kids sure took home a lot of purple and a few pink rosette ribbons last week at our fair.

Marilyn,

I love the bright colors in the well pieced quilt and all of your feather treatments.  If you weren't good at feathers when you started this beauty, you were good by the time you finished:)  As others noted, sharing your passion for quilting with this new generation of quilter is wonderful.  Since " success begets success", your work with this young quilter may well keep her quilting for some time to come.  That should keep you smiling.

Lynn

• 1 month later...

Well I just found out that not only did this 4-h girl get Grand Champion at the County Fair with her quilt, she also received a Grand Champion at the Minnesota State Fair!  I am so thrilled for her!  :)   And I am so honored that she trusted me to quilt her beautiful quilt!  :wub:   That was so much fun to quilt that I hope I get another bargello to quilt some day.  :rolleyes:

If this was done by a 17 year old, I want to be 17 again!

She did a beautiful job especially on the adjustments for a larger quilt.

I can't see any flaws in it.. she did beautiful on the corners.. and the

colors!  Oh, my favs..

Congrats to you on the beautiful quilting, and a few huge

Hip, Hip, Hurrahs for the young artist.

I so think she deserved the ribbons.. 

Thanks for the highlight of beauty this morning.

Rita

Archived