Looking for longarmer sympathy

Picture this and feel sorry for me---

The top is heavily embroidered in a baroque design--many colors of thread, massive multi-layered motifs with different fabrics behind the embroidery. Lots of the embroidery has many strands of thread so it almost looks hand-done. It's extravagant. Much of the paper stabilizer has been left in. It's done on a heavy weight cream home-dec fabric. My customer (a very new quilter) added borders to enlarge the top. First one is 6 inches of black lining fabric from Joann's. Outer border is 10 inches of another poly lining fabric in burgundy. The seam that joins these two is wavy and poorly pieced. No way to steam this out since both pieces are polyester. It's a nightmare. I should have declined it, but she has waited patiently to get it to me. I'll struggle along and hope I can fix some things and camouflage the rest. Who would combine heavy home-dec fabric and poly lining in the same top? She obviously was shopping color and price and not compatibility.

Thanks for letting me whine. Whine? Wine!!! Oh yeah! That'll help for sure! :D

So sorry, but we all need one of these once in a while to realize what good pieces most of our clients are. When she picks it up, you might take the opportunity to tell her it's beautiful, but next time she might want to try a few things differently. She probably doesn't know it won't wear the same. My customers appreciate the knowledge. It just has to be phrased helpfully. Which I know you already will do.

Shirley

Oh, I can relate.  I have 6 from the same lady that are ALL like that.  One has only 3 final borders.  When I called her twice and tried to get her to fix it, she said it was her design and just quilt it as is.  Really???????? Seams are from 1/8 inch to 3/4 inch. 

Who would? As you said, 'a very new quilter'. Here's your opportunity to help her learn. It sounds like she has a desire to make beautiful work. She needs guidance, and as she was willing to wait for you she's probably more than willing to take your sage advice. I'm sure this will end up looking great, and she'll have gained much knowledge. Can't wait to see what you do to help her out. :)

What if...I'm reaching here...she isn't a quilter, but an "artist" instead.  Sounds like the quilt is beautiful to look at...just a nightmare to quilt.  And she wouldn't even consider that problem because she's thinking "visually"  not "mechanically".  Artists tend to think in "textures" not rules and this would definitely fall into that category.  I'm looking forward to pics because if anyone can make it work I believe you can.

I've been thinking like Oma while reading the thread.

Maybe she is using her artistic taste talent to make a piece of art,

more than a bed or sofa quilt.  Still won't hurt to ask or talk with her

about the bed quilt, versus the wall quilts. 

Good luck, you won't need much as well as you do.  Grit teeth, close eyes

and go for it.  THEN you can have the glass of wine!   rofl.. :P

Rita

Well, the way I see it, is that you will do a magical job and it will turn out more beautiful that ever.  That will give her confidence to do another and another and another and you will get to quilt them all.  She will never see that her choices are poor because you will make your magic happen!  You know you will, girl!  So, she will never learn and you will go on to pull your hair out to make a masterpiece!  :blink: PS:  If you decide to sell your magic wands please put me down for one.

Archived