I'm Thinking Of Trading Her In

Not my machine but my wife.  I do realize that my frame is set up in our living room.  I try to keep it as neat as can be.  So I bought two of these rolling 4 drawer carts to keep my thread in, my oil, quilting tools, etc.  I had them side by side.  Looked really neat and clean.  Was sitting here this morning drinking my coffee and something didn't look right. My wife had moved one cart behind the other instead of beside each other.  So now I have to go to the back of the machine to get my thread out of the storage.  (CAN YOU BELIEVE SHE MESSED WITH MY QUILTING AREA WITHOUT MY PERMISSION?)  I mean  have to walk another three feet to go to the back of the frame for thread.  What is this woman thinking?  Doesn't she realize I have a heart condition?

I've seen pictures of your sewing/quilting rooms and I thought it was so neat that you had some of your quilts hanging on the walls. I ask can I hang one of my quilts on the wall of my quilting room.  She says, "You do realize that your quilting room is our living room?  The answer is NO."

I finally finished my pink butterfly quilt yesterday.  I added the crosshatching.  It's not perfect but for a first time I got lots of practice of what not to do and what to do differently next time.  I was so proud it was finished.  Took it off the frame and was showing it to the wife and immediately she said, "You forgot to finish the SID."  Sure enough I didn't do the last bit of SID so now it goes back on the frame.  Does she not realize I didn't want to hear that?

So I can either trade her in on something else or I suppose I could just be thankful she hasn't moved me and my quilting frame into one side of the garage next to the camper where it's NOT insulated, dust blowing in, no air conditioner, no heat.

What do you folks think?  Trade or be Thankful.

David

So I assume I'm to keep her.  To answer a few of your comments:  I just finished a queen size memory quilt that I made for her 10 years ago.  I wouldn't quilt it till I got my own long (midarm) machine.  She chose all the pictures that I scanned and put on fabric.  So she has her quilt.

She and I took a couple of quilting classes together.  She knits.  She's very into crafts so that's not the problem.

I also wasn't planning on trading her for another one....I was planning on trading her for something like say a seam ripper or something. 

She did let me have one of the smaller bedrooms for my sewing room.  It's the one we have fixed up for the granddaughters when they come to visit.  So I have a sewing room that has all pink walls, white day bed with pink bedspread.  LOL.  She also uses it for her TV watching room when I'm quilting.

I guess I'll just be content.  Got too much invested in her.

David

Dave, it is always so fun to read all of your comments on the forum, even though I  am not very active on it I have learned so much just by being a wall flower, but you  have such a wit and I am glad you are going to keep her, I am sure she has her trials too,...not to mention any names , 

Dave,

You may understand this reference better than some others...I was at the Pebble Beach Concours many years ago and Jay Leno was an Emcee, when he was asked how many cars he had, his response was "I have 23 cars and one wife; it's way cheaper than the other way around". Taking his (obviously tongue in cheek) admonition a step further...maybe you don't need to trade her in, you just need another longarm machine.... Keep that up and you will have to get a dedicated space!

Glad to hear that she has her hobbies too.  I used to have my quilting room in our upstairs living room loft- tv- area when I first got my machine.  Still had 2 girls at home, although one was on her way out with college.  You could see everything from the downstairs living room.  I got tired of always seeing the mess....yes, I'm one of those messy sewists and quilters. When last daughter moved out, I did some major rearranging and got my upstairs living room back.  My husband is definitely not a neat freak, so he didn't care where I put my machine, just as long as I was happy.  Maybe your wife just wants a living room that's a "living room" and not a quilting room.  Sell the camper if you're not using it and finish out the garage.  :)

LOL Had my morning laugh for the day!  You are quite the comedian David.  I too think you better keep her.  And by the way, I am sure she was thinking that exercise is very important for your heart health.    Next she will be having you go on a scavenger hunt for all your quilting tools.  Also, I have quilts hanging ALL over my house!  Even in the bathroom.

ROFL,   you are so lucky to have a very truthful wife, who trusts you to appreciate her comments.

LOL, You "fixed" it, now honestly, :D  :lol:  :D  :lol:  :P  doesn't it look better to see it ALL DONE?

Ya love her and you know it, ya little fake!!!!!!  lol...

Archived