VARIGATED THREAD WHICH ONE

As you know, I've been away for sometime but back at it now.  I'm getting ready to do a large quilt but want to use variegated thread,  I tried Superior Rainbows before I quit quilting but didn't like it much for my Gator (Millie).  I'm totally sold on Fil-Tech but haven't tried their variegated threads.  Have you tried either of their two types of variegated?  Which variegated threads worked best on your machines and what  type of bobbin thread did you use with it?

I'll be interested in seeing responses to this, too.  I was using King Tut, but had some issues with it the last time I used it - probably because I was thinking how lucky I was that I hadn't had any issues with it before. :wacko:

I bought some YLI variegated thread yesterday, so I hope it gets good comments.

Yes, I have used them. They ran fine, mostly. Far less picky than Rainbows, but has the sheen. Some colors break, some don't. I have fewer issues with Superior Fantastico and use that exclusively now over the Glide threads. I run nearly everything with FilTech Magnetic classic poly bobbins..the weight of Bottom Line, but magnetic cores. I will say that I threw away a cone of Glide variegated because it became a tangled rats nest after the first use that I could not unravel when the thread sagged on the cone. I store my threads in thread bags, so no idea how this happened just sitting in the drawer but it did. That particular cone was very picky and broke a lot despite thread lube.

Connie I don't really have any help for you on variegated threads, I rarely use them.  I have some Rainbows, Kingtut and poly quilter (don't think they even make that any more).  I just don't usually go for a variegated thread.  I did want to say it is great to have to back!  I hope you are enjoying your new location/job and spending time with your family!  I also hope your winter is not as bad as last winter was!  I'm enjoying Nov. so far in the northeast!  It was 72 today :-)

I don't have any recs because I can use any thread on my Lenni except metro.   I can use it, but it requires a lot of tweeking and some(most) time I just don't care to be bothered.  With that said, I have found so fine's variegated colors to be the same as tuts, and most people can use so fine.

I have used both Aurifil and Madeira variegated thread without difficulties.  I wind my own bobbins.  I like to use variegated thread, when I have a quilt top with a great deal of color changes.  Your quilting tends to pop out at times, and then it blends in and can barely be seen at others.  It can really pop on the back of the quilt depending on the fabric color on that side.

Cagey

I have used the Filtec variegated with the mag bobbins.  The one cone I used I didn't like at all, kept breaking and didn't show as nicely as Lava does.  I'm not sure I will try another since I had so many issues with the first one.  I sure wish Superior had not gotten rid of their Lava line as I really liked that thread.  The Rainbows takes alot of extra care for me to use and the Fantastico has issues with my machine.  I have not tried the Sew Fine variegated yet.   

I have used Fil-Tec's Affinity threads alot and LOVE them!  They're are good as their Glide threads with VERY LITTLE breakage. With these I usually use Fil-Tec's pre-wound 60 weight poly threads, unless there is a color my customer wants and this doesn't come in. Then I use the Magna-Glide delights and occasionally Superior Bottom Line.  The only negative thing is that even though they have added colors over the years, there isn't a huge selection as Rainbows have. I love Rainbows threads also but they can get "finicky", but sometimes I just can't find the Affinity color I need.

i absoluetly love Fil-Tecs threads and use them ALOT in my long arm business. hope this helps!!

• 2 weeks later...

I have been trying to use Superior Rainbow thread on a quilt that just keeps breaking!  So  frustrating but too far into the panto to start ripping it out and use something else....this will be my last rainbows thread as my millie does not seem to like it....

Vicki try adding some thread lubrication, LOL can't think of the name of that stuff.  You can use just mineral oil too.  It should stop the breaks.

Archived