Nancy Arseneault's quilt: "Quilting Bee de los Muertos"

Nancy Arseneault asked me to post photos of her latest creation on George. Quilting Bee de los Muertos

Here is our Nancy's description and photos:

"George and I have become the very best of friends and last weekend I won a ribbon for Exemplary machine quilting by a non-professional at the Tucson Quilt Fiesta.

This is my 2009 quilt "Quilting Bee de los Muertos." I hope you get a chuckle out of it. For those unfamiliar with the Mexican celebration also known as Day of the Dead, it is a time to remember and honor those who have passed on. Graveyards are neatened and decorated. Flowers and favorite foods are enjoyed, and special breads and candies are made in the shape of bones & skulls. The whimsical images of skeletons and skulls have always tickled me so each year I make a new quilt for Dia de los Muertos. Last year a friend suggested a quilting bee and this is the result. It won a blue ribbon in Art Quilt - Large at the Tucson Quilt Fiesta last weekend. There are lots of inside quilterly jokes to be discovered in the details. Quilted on my apqs George."

post--13461901075294_thumb.jpg

Such fun and creativity - just love it and so glad you won!!!! It just shows what we will all be like in the "after-life" except we might need our big toys - can you imagine a place just full of longarms - any type with all the gadgets without any tension problems, etc. - just quilting away among the "quilting-dead".........:P

Hi Kenna:

The large button on the tote bag says Hello, My Name is Quilter

The red hat lady is wearing a pin from the San Jose Quilt Museum.

I've already described the others. I did have fun with this quilt and with the reactions I heard at the Tucson Quilt Fiesta last weekend. Of course not everyone 'gets it' but the Day of the Dead is pretty well understood down here in the Southwest and I have been putting a Dia de los Muertos quilt in the show for the past 4 years so they're used to it by now :P Each quilter at the bee is a compilation of my quilting friends although I made sure that the card hanging next to the quilt in the show said, "Any similarity you find between these images and the quilters that you and I know is completely coincidental". I was going to try & enter my Mariachi de los Muertos in the Houston show this fall :cool:

What an imagination.... and a very big congratulatyions for the awared, it certainly was/is due. Very funny, cute and well done.. the quilting/sittiching is beautiful, ROFL if not the subject.

Keep having fun and enjoying it to the best you can.

RitaR

Congratulations Nancy on your blue ribbon! Bet your quilting friends are enjoying the similarities with friends in your group. I agree that you ought to tour that quilt because so many quilters would really enjoy seeing such a creative fun, humorous take on quilting. I sure did.

Thanks for taking the time to help Nancy post the photos Shana.

Vicki

Archived