Now I think I've seen it all - quilt back

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I vote with everyone else, give it back and run fast girl. IF you do quilt it and it turns out reasonable she will think she is an expert patchworker, if it turns out a disaster (not because of your quilting) you will get the blame so either way you can't win and I certainly would not want her as a repeat customer....:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

It is not the backer. It is the top and it is a t-shirt quilt. I will put it on and quilt as is, lumps and all, with a meander. The really hard part is, another customer recommended me to her and that customer is really sweet, so I need to do it. This is her 1st quilt and she is already making another. I did tell her quilts need to be made with just 1/4 inch seams. When I return the quilt, I will then tell her how to prepare a quilt for quilting by cutting off the hangover borders. I didn't want to hit her with too much all at once.

WOW, you are just to nice!!! I would run. I agree she's probably proud of the quilt but someone needs to recommend "lessons" before she starts spending money on fabric and make another LA quilter ill. If she had lessons already, the teacher should be hung on a quilt rack!!!

If you have to quilt this can you trim some of the bulk out of those seams without having to resew any of them. Seems to me that would be somewhat helpful to reduce the bulk and stop the dark blue large seams from showing through the white t-shirt. good Luck and may the FORCE BE WITH YOU!!

I have to admit I've done a couple of these but Vicki you have definitely taken the Award for this catagory..... Just nail it down and nail the tucks down more and it won't look bad, but you will always know it was a mess, and it will stick in your memory. Good Luck, and I too want to see pictures when its done.;)

Originally posted by victoriasews

.....I did tell her quilts need to be made with just 1/4 inch seams. When I return the quilt, I will then tell her how to prepare a quilt for quilting by cutting off the hangover borders. I didn't want to hit her with too much all at once.

All Joking aside, Viki, you really are doing the right thing by quilting it for her "warts and all" as Linzi said.

Just git 'er dun and outa there quick like... :cool:

And I also agree that you giving her advice in tiny pieces is a good thing, too. You are a good person.

Quilters are the kindest folks.

Okay guys, remember that beautiful butterfly quilt I did abotu a year and a half ago where the guy put the pictures in the center to form the cross in honor of his late wife? Well, when he brought it in here it looked a lot like that one. I convinced him to either let me show him how to fix it; or pay me to fix it. He paid me and I took it apart and fixed it up for him. AND it turned out beautiful. Maybe the piecer just doesn't know and needs some training. I would call her and ask her if she wants you to help her fix it. SMILE when you ask. She'll know if you are being grouchy or not:P

I wouldn't wait too long before you give her the next small lesson. Her new quilt might be half done before you can get her clued into more managable seams. Maybe you can give her a call and let her know that the large seams are giving you some problems, so you wanted her to know for the next quilt early. (Even if you haven't started or have trimmed the seams first.)

Looks like one I had........................Oh, by the way, the T-shirts weren't even stabilized! I said the quilt would have to be re-made because it couldn't be quilted as is. The customer admitted she didn't have a clue about making it and was glad to have me re-do it. I offered to teach her and help, but she was sick of it by then and happy to have me to it. I rotary cut it apart and started over! Turned out great and quilted up easily. It was huge (double/queen) when it was finished. She was so glad to have it done right. It was a gift to a friend. All of the T-shirts were from her friend's travels while in the military. A career full of memories preserved for a lifetime. What a great gift from her to her friend. (And yes, she is still a customer. ;))

Wow! That is just a bit scary looking..... "warts and all" LOL!!:mad:

Nice of you to do this up for her, I agree - they just need to learn. There is a lady in a town by here that works in a shop. She teaches T-shirt quilting classes. I send people her way if they need it. I have quilted many perfectly pieced t-shirt quilts for her. Let her show and tell them how its done.....

You're doing the right thing with the gentle quilting tips, but oh my goodness, that is such a mess, I think I would have shown her how to fix it and then set up another appointment with her.

This is terrible but when I find out someone has a t-shirt quilt I tell them I've never quilted one (true) and they would be probably be happier taking it to someone who has experience quilting them. (I know I'm happier when they take them to someone else who has quilted them!) ;-)

I've heard mostly horror stories about t-shirt quilts, and they're often made by non quilters who don't understand the process.

Well, I started on this this morning. Yikes! I trimmed seams and edges and overlapped fabric for an hour this morning. It was worse than I thought. I have cut off at least a yard of extra fabric. Then I started quilting with an elongated meander. I thought that wouldn't be so bad but man, this thing needs to be put in the Guinness book of records! It will have many pleats, because, frankly, there just isn't any place to put all that fabric puffiness. Prayers are in order.

Originally posted by victoriasews

...........I thought that wouldn't be so bad but man, this thing needs to be put in the Guinness book of records! It will have many pleats, because, frankly, there just isn't any place to put all that fabric puffiness. Prayers are in order.

Sending my deepest heartfelt thoughts and prayers to you during this very difficult time... ;) ;)

Archived