off the frame: Black, White and Fuschia--it's bright

Hello everybody. This is my guild challenge quilt. Here is the deal:

1. Black and white fabrics plus one color fabric. Mine is fuschia.

2. Must have the twist and turn pattern in each block.

3. Must have applique and at least one border.

4. Must include 'black' in the name of the quilt.

Here is the finished product, except the binding still needs some of the handsewing.

My son wanted a soldier put on my quilt. (He is 8 years old).

I consented and named this quilt...

"Military Operations...It's Never Black and White"

I chose to do trapunto in the black border.

It reads...:Evil will triumph if good men...and women do nothing."

What do ya think? Lots of firsts for me on this quilt. It measures 50" square.

I used Rainbows thread on top and Bottomline in the bobbin. And bamboo batting.

You probably have to look hard for the twist/turn blocks. I used black center with 2 black twists, then fuschia block with 2 fuschia twists for the alternating blocks.

Enjoy.

2657510500104483472S500x500Q85.jpg

2865598910104483472S600x600Q85.jpg

2869770380104483472S600x600Q85.jpg

I'm glad I wasn't the first to have to ask about the twist & turn block...I've never heard of that before, but I can see it in the pink.

You ROCK with this quilt...it looks terrific!! Such a great job and I LOVE your quilting. Way to go, friend. I bet you win!!

Hi There, This quilt makes quite a powerful statement beyond meeting the technical requirements for the challenge. I think the addition of the soldier with the flowers is really excellent - it certainly drives home the name of the quilt. I also love the inclusion of women in the border - we all need to take responsiblity and that gets easier when women are included in the language and phrases we use everyday. As always - am so impressed by the women and men in these forums. Dianne

Thanks for the nice comments. There isn't going to be any winning or losing with this challenge. It is all done in fun. We hang our quilts over July 4th weekend in a local building and show our stuff. No judging...ribbons...nothing.

In fact, if I don't get ousted from the guild over this one it will be something. I tend to take the challenges and really go outside the box with them.

One guildmate always expects something different from me. Several ladies think I don't follow the rules correctly. I am the eccentric one in the group. Don't all groups need an eccentric member?!:cool:

Originally posted by sagebrushquilter

I am the eccentric one in the group. Don't all groups need an eccentric member?!:cool:

Yes Kristina, all groups need an eccentric to push them and poke them and make them laugh and think!! And you are just the one to do it!

:cool:

You did great--I love the thought behind the quilt and of course, the quilt itself!! That fuchsia color is stunning!

Kristina great job. I love this quilt and the quilting and your son's suggestion turned it into something with a special message. Wonderful. I love challenges. Our guild has one every year and mine are always so different than the rest of the guilds, more arty than traditional.

Love it

PamH

Love the quilt! I also liked hearing about your eccentricities (did I spell that right?). I enjoy being the eccentric one in a group. It makes me feel "just like me" and not pretending to be a cookie cutter molded personality.

PS- I have some of the craziest, hand made earrings you can imagine! LOL I have wild feather earrings from Taos, NM to walrus wisker earrings from Gamble, St. Lawrence Island, (Bering Sea), Alaska, and lots of places in-between. Also a pair from the Heinrik Harrer Museum in Austria. (Think about the Brad Pitt movie, Seven Years in Tibet, which was the story of Heinrik Harrer's adventures.) Earrings are a great way to buy souveniers and "smuggle" them home past hubby. HA!

I tend to take the challenges and really go outside the box with them.

One guildmate always expects something different from me. Several ladies think I don't follow the rules correctly. I am the eccentric one in the group. Don't all groups need an eccentric member?!:cool:

Kristina,

It must be an engineering thing on being eccentric. I am always looking at things from "Outside the Box". Sometimes my DH falls over when I go conventional and conforming on things. :D:D I taken several mystery quilt classes and I am changing things before I see the full quilt, and I have not be ousted yet.;)

Any ways who said quilting had Rules??? Usually I look at the rules in quilting as baselines from which we need to springboard our creativity. :cool:

I enjoy your eccentricity. Keep it up. You are making every one ( guild or forum members) stretch their creativity.:cool:

Archived