Introducing Me!

Just taking a moment to introduce myself. I recenty attended the quilt show in Overland Park, Kansas and had a marvelous time! I took classes with Dawn Cavanaugh, Karen McTavish, Sally Terry...and a couple of others!

I went with my GF who is a LAQ...I am definitely hooked! I am dreaming of coming back next year to buy a LA, which I will install in my basement and start quilting for others part time! I will keep my full time job for a few years, while I build a client base, that is the dream anyways.

I currently quilt on a mid arm machine (Bailey 13") and a B Line frame. I have done pantos, free motion, and ruler work with no stitch regulator! Having a wonderful time, but have realized that I have outgrown my current system...I want to go big and better!

My current system is already presold...imagine that!

I am 48, with a DH of 21 years and two fur babies, Molly and Maggie (dogs) and live in Canada, hence the spelling of some words ;)

Looking forward to reading some of the posts and paying attention to quilting for others! LOL

Sandy

Headingley MB

Welcome Sandy and where is Headingley MB in relationship to Kamloops, BC? Me and my DH are headed that way this coming weekend to play golf.

Looking forward to some pictures of your work! :)

And my fur babies (Maddie & Harley) say hello to yours! :D

Hi Sandy! I just happen to know where Headingley, Manitoba is! It's just west of the City of Winnipeg, off Trans Canada Highway #1. I actually won 1st place in Headingley doing barrel racing when I was about 15 years old -- long, long ago. I grew up in St. James, living on a farm just east of the Assiniboine Race Track. My parents are still there. My DH and I have lived east of the city now for 31 years, in Cooks Creek, although our mailing address is Dugald, Manitoba. I know a few people in Headingley, I wonder if we have mutual friends! Is your LAQ friend from Headingley as well? I bet you're excited planning for your machine. I've just ordered my Millie about a week ago and I should have delivery in another week, I think. I'm so excited I am going to make myself sick over the wait! LOL! Love to hear from you, drop me a note.

Welcome Sandy, this is a very nice place to be and you will feel right at home here. You will love your Millie.

PS. In my previous life as a long haul trucker I drove for Arnold Brothers out of Winnipeg, probably passed you on the highway once or twice lol. Also, Big River is only about 10 hrs away from Headingly, when the day is clear I can probably see your yard from here, being Prairies and all! lol

welcome Sandy and Kirsten glad to have you both aboard the forum. Be careful how much time you spend here or that next year idea of a new machine will come quicker than you thought. At least it did for me. My plan was to wait until Christmas to buy a machine but once the that bug bit me my dream machine came in August. Just a little premature, but no matter just a little early Christmas present. Glad to hear from you both and let us see what you are working on .

Hi Sandy,

Nice to hear there is another Manitoban getting a longarm, not too many of us in the province. I was born and raised in Winnipeg but moved to Schist Lake (near Flin Flon) 13 years ago.

I am very jealous that you went to the quilt show in Kansas and were able to meet all those wonderful quilters!! That must have been very inspiring!

Welcome to the group!

Hi Sandy, there is a wealth of info here, lots of fun, once in a while one of us crab a bit, but nothing uncivil.. usually about the quilt from Hades, or the customer who is the same..

It helps to let off steam.. better yet is getting ideas, hints, tips, machine care help, etc.

Prayers asked for and offered are frequent too, and just good friends, some whom we get to meet in person and find them just as lovely and fun as on the forum.

Welcome Aboard the insane world at APQS chat.

RitaR

Thank you for the warm welcome, of course being a quilter I should have expected that!

I am looking forward to getting to know everyone! And some fellow Manitobans too! LOL

My longarm friend is from La Salle, which is really not that far away and we travel as much as my full time job allows!

Manitoba is above North Dakota, and BC is above Washington, we are quite a far distance from Kamloops. You would have to drive through 2 more provinces to reach Manitoba!

I live on one of the streets off the Trans Canada Highway and can hear the weighscale speaker at my house, if the wind is right!

Currently I am planning the quilting on a New York Beauty. Didn't realize how difficult a piece it could be! But I think I finalized everything yesterday, now just have to pick the right threads and get it on the frame!

Will post a picture when I am done.

Sandy

Welcome Sandy!!! This is the best place to be - so much advice and help can be found here!!!!

Yes - please post a photo when done. The New York Beauty is one of those patterns on my "to do" list..... did you piece this? It looks like such a time-consuming pattern.

Don't worry about the spelling or words, we might ask sometimes "What do you mean by that??" but we all get a giggle now and then too!!;);)

Judy, the NYB is really an easy pattern once you learn how to paper piece correctly and sew curves! It turn out beautiful in batiks. But, I had a problem deciding how to quilt it...too much running through my head from Kansas...getting too adventuresome. I have finally decided that simple is best with this pattern...besides it is a wall hanging, and my first plans for it were definitely overpowering.

Now that I know how to paper piece I have always wanted to do Mariners Compass... ;)

Sandy

Headingley MB

Archived