Into the Shadows

Originally posted by LastStitch

Liam,

As another man of the cloth I am glad that you are not staying in the shaddows. I usually only lurk while I eat lunch at my other job. Not any more. Men are quilters too, and let me tell you we have opinions.

Don

"man of the cloth" Love that. Welcome back Liam.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I contribute some, I am primarily a lurker, gleaning inspiration and knowledge from all of the talented people here. I am so saddened that you have had this experience. I cannot recall ever reading anything by anyone posted on this board that I found offensive. That's one of the reasons I come here each day. I find inspiration, knowledge, and humour. I find a community of quilters who truly care about each other, celebrate one another's successes and comfort each other in hard times. I have never seen anything mean posted here and it saddens me that you received this email. Please know that this person does not speak for anyone but herself.

Originally posted by Liam1964

I would like to Thank Everyone for making me feel so welcomed. I was moved by all the emails I received, you guys (gals) are a great bunch. Thanks!!! I will not retreat to the shadows and I will continue to participate in this forum I’ve come to love and enjoy so much.

:)

Liam, I am so glad you are taking the high road and not going back into the shadows!!! I must say, that everytime you post and I catch a glimpse of your avatar, it makes me smile!!!! This IS a great forum and the majority of quilters in it are caring, sharing, encouraging and kind! One bad apple does NOT spoil the whole bunch - as you can see by this "rallying round".

Hang tough, keep quilting and keep posting. We ALL benefit from each other.

Well, I would have MISSED THIS ONE except Shannon called me and asked if I saw this....WELL no, I haven't been on the last few days...out thread gathering and getting ready to do the next quilt. And planning my next show quilt....man what have I gotten myself into.:P

First off Liam, whomever did this can just go away, I have to echo all that has been said before and close it with a very loud raspberry....THHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Secondly if Shannon is "Homicidel" then I too must be one, I don't have the night vision goggles, have thought about them and almost got a pair at "Twin Cities" in Reno, I do however, tote a rifle, and I wear steeltoes shoes, so does that make Kristina one also. :cool::P:cool:

The night vision goggles would make it so much easier to track someone at night than the trusty flashlight, (hadn't thought about using them to play hide-n-seek)....don't know how many tracking jobs Gene has gone on and only had a flashlight, always came home with his man....:P, even though they started out in the daylight and went into the night, I'm sure he would have liked a pair as well.

Thirdly....the person whom called Mary Beth a "SNAKE" called me personally and warned me that Mary Beth was going to throw me under the bus....well not sure what or which bus she was going to throw me under, but I told that person in PERSON on the phone if "HE" couldn't play nice that he could just go away and not play in this sandbox anymore. Lucky for me he went away, and hasn't been on in over a year.

People puzzle me and I really don't get it....we disagree here we sometimes are very strongly opininonated, but to be nasty and hurtful like this...is going to far. Liam so glad you have taken our positives and made them your own...

Liam - I'm so glad that you aren't going to let that one lousy, cheap shot of an e-mail deter you from participating in all of our quilty talk and life in general. I think that the person who sent it to you must have one very large chip on their shoulder from something to have wanted to spread their venom your direction. I really do hope that this person will take a good look at what they have caused... we (guys and gals) have become even stronger in our friendships when we have all joined behind you to support and deny the false claim that he wanted you to believe. All I can say, is keep on being just who you are- - - a kind and encouraging quilter. ;)

When I started this post I never thought I would get the response that I did. I am so moved by all the kindness and encouragement that you all have shown…..I am really touched. Thank You!!! Hopefully after this post no one else here will get a nasty gram like I did. Again I would like to Thank Everyone and welcome all the new comers and lurkers. I know sometimes seeing all the beautiful quilts and the extraordinary quilting we get overwhelmed, and sit in the shadows. So come out of the shadows, state your opinion, even if it’s just giving a fellow quilter a pat on the back (we all like/need a pat on the back from time to time).

It was asked how my shoulder was coming along, it is doing really well, making great progress. I was able to finish a quilt for a fellow horse nut that I had on the frame prior to my surgery. I still have to do the binding (yuk). I plan on starting another customer quilt today, now that my machine is freed up (my daughter finished her quilt last night….so proud of her).

I hope everyone here has a great weekend…….and happy quilting!!!

Originally posted by Liam1964

I was able to finish a quilt for a fellow horse nut that I had on the frame prior to my surgery. I still have to do the binding (yuk).

You have ponies???? Well, now you really can't leave. A quilter AND a horse lover...there is no better combination:P:P

Dory, yes I am a horse lover/nut too! I grew up around horses, when most kids were riding their bikes I was riding my horse. When I was in High School I joined the "High School Rodeo", after High School I continued with the Rodeo until my early twenties (I was a bull rider). After a bad accident I started showing and training Arabian Horses across the country for some of the largest farms in the States. I even trained horses for the E.A.O. (Egyptian Agriculture organization) in Cairo, Egypt. At that time I had my own breeding farm, I had 3 beautiful stallions and at one time I had 14 mares and a number of foals & yearlings. I gave that up when the horse market crumpled and went back to my love of Quarter Horses and Paints. I currently don't have any horses because I live in town, but hope to move to the country soon and get another horse or two. My daughter has 3 horses (one was my old horse) and shows them almost every weekend thoughout the show season. We go riding all the time together.

GEEZ . . . I take a day "off" to actually do my day job, & look what I miss!

Welcome back Liam. It seems this thread has had positive results in many ways: by bringing out some lurkers to add to the group; by helping us realize how important we are to each other; by stimulating valuable discussion. Notice too that the people who speak out openly here all have the integrity to sign their names.

I've often wished we had more of the male perspective in this forum. There are plenty of talented men in the quilting community; could we do more to encourage them to join our group? Obviously they will be welcomed by the vast majority. Unless I missed it, we didn't hear from Jim or Brad or Theo (and whoever else I've forgotten) on this -- come on guys, what to you think we can do better to encourage ALL quilters to participate?

Originally posted by Bonnie

Secondly if Shannon is "Homicidel" then I too must be one, I don't have the night vision goggles, have thought about them and almost got a pair at "Twin Cities" in Reno, I do however, tote a rifle, and I wear steeltoes shoes, so does that make Kristina one also. :cool::P:cool:

:P:D:P:P

So now I am homicidal too!!! Thanks alot Bonnie. I love you too!! At least I am with great company...you and Shannon. Couldn't ask for better pals! ;)

Liam:

Former bull-rider? How many quilters have that in their resume?? Your life sounds more interesting with each posting! Glad to hear that your shoulder is on the mend. I forgot to mention, thank you for having the courage to come forward about the nasty e-mail rather than just slinking off. It sounds like many others have received ones similar. Perhaps if the "anonymous" ones read these responses they will realize that we are a strong family and their nasty e-mails will not do whatever damage they intended.

Shannon, so was there a "commando" quilter class somewhere to learn about the night vision goggles? Sounds interesting, maybe we should start a group, LOL.

Vickie Oliver

Beachside Quilter

APQS Rep SW FL

Liam,

As someone who has spent her entire professional life working in male-dominated professions, I'm appalled that a woman would write you such a note. While I've had some men say/do really stupid or mean things around me, most have been professionals and many have become friends.

I am so glad that you are staying in the forum. We need to be able to 'hear' all voices and perspectives so that each of us has the opportunity to grow and learn.

Now that you've shared your horse background with us, I'll have to keep my 9-yr old daughter from reading your posts. The girl is horse crazy and would insist on meeting this person who knows about both quilts and horses;)

Be well.

Lynn

Originally posted by sagebrushquilter

So now I am homicidal too!!! Thanks alot Bonnie. I love you too!! At least I am with great company...you and Shannon. Couldn't ask for better pals! ;)

welcome to the homicidal quilters guild. we tend to lean to the extreme...

to join you must present a paper target with a tight grouping with a minimum of 75% of rounds being in the chest 10 ring, or the head 8 ring.

oh and a word to the wise....don't point out our mismatched points.....we don't take kindly to criticism...:)

LOL i love you guys too.....:P

Originally posted by LFQuilts

Liam,

As someone who has spent her entire professional life working in male-dominated professions, I'm appalled that a woman would write you such a note.

Lynn

Not to stir a well-stirred pot but, I think the gender of the sender (a little rhyme!) hasn't been determined. We had a flamer a while back who was male, mean, and eventually removed from the forum by APQS. :cool:

After a day or two reflecting about this, I think the emailer (whether male or female) probably has a perverse sense of humor and decided to cause trouble by poking a stick in the ant's nest and watching us all scurry about. Well, we scurried and brought a lot of lurkers out. We said our piece, let Liam know he is welcome, and gave the emailer the raspberry.

I think more importantly, this episode strengthened the bonds of this fabulous group of diverse and talented people. So I guess the emailer loses. And we win.

Originally posted by doodlebug

Originally posted by sagebrushquilter

welcome to the homicidal quilters guild. we tend to lean to the extreme...

to join you must present a paper target with a tight grouping with a minimum of 75% of rounds being in the chest 10 ring, or the head 8 ring.

oh and a word to the wise....don't point out our mismatched points.....we don't take kindly to criticism...:)

LOL i love you guys too.....:P

Yah! Just what she said. I guess Shannon is the group marksman.

And watch out...she is armed with Nemo and ready!! :P

Originally posted by Lauras

Originally posted by LastStitch

Liam,

As another man of the cloth I am glad that you are not staying in the shaddows. I usually only lurk while I eat lunch at my other job. Not any more. Men are quilters too, and let me tell you we have opinions.

Don

"man of the cloth" Love that. Welcome back Liam.

HA!!!!:P I just got that!!!:PBoy, am I SLOW!!!!:P Liam, Glad you are still coming back!! This was so silly, for heaven's sake!! That person needs to GROW UP! linda

Ok I am going to come out and say it. All along I believe a man wrote this anonymous email to Liam. So that said I hope that this lurker will realize that this chat is for men and women. Perhaps this man feels as though he is not welcome here but I say you are welcome here too if you contribute in a positive way. I hope you realize thiis now. Please join us I welcome you to participate . This is supposed to be fun.

Liam, you should like the guy I am married to. Mike grew up riding horses (breaking them for others). Rode in the High School Rodeo for years afterwards he was the clown for the MS HSR assiciation. Then the rode bulls, broncs and bare-back. We live in town - in the country. Ha! Can't see another house from my house although we are right in the middle of things. Instead of raising horses he raised English Bulldogs. Ha!

After reading all the posts, I really don't have any more to add. The positive is that so many lurkers (me included) have come out and made their voices heard. I saw this happen on another forum a few years ago. How dare ANYONE talk for ME? I have no one that right.

I appreciate this forum, you don't have to own an APQS to be accepted and to participate. I have found so much inspiration here, and I'm very thankful for all that is shared.

Liam, I'm awfully sorry this happened, but I'm sure glad you came and posted and brought it to everyone's attention. Someone else may have just "gone away". The negative that your letter started has ended with more positive than imagined. Here again is an example that he good outweighs the bad.

Sending you quilting hugs,

Lynn had mention about keeping her daughter from reading this post, If my daughter read this post and found out that Sylvia raises English Bulldogs; I'm afraid Sylvia would be getting tons of u2u's.

Shannon I still have all my military camo gear. So when you start teaching LA classes I'll be ready!:cool: (no night vision goggles though).

I wonder if night vision goggles would work with quilting using the blacklight chalk? Hmmmmm....

Would someone who has the blacklight chalk and the night goggles see if this really works? We quilters will go to great lengths when marking lines on our quilts ...

Can you imagine Doodlebug wearing her night goggles and quilting with the lights off? :D:cool::cool: (I can!) She's full of adventure.

Wow, I hate that this happened to you Liam but love all the repsonses. I can't put it in any better words than all of you have. So I will just echo everyone and say I am glad you are not going to stay in the shadows! Also, it is good to know there is someone else out there who doesn't like to do the bindings :) ... it is my downfall, it is the only part of quilting I don't like.

I also welcome all the lurkers. I know I don't post too much, but I have always felt comfortable here, even if I am only a beginner and a hobbiest. I just wish I had more time to spend here and to quilt. This is a wonderful group of quilters and it is nice to see all your lurkers posting.

Archived