Finally Hunter Star is done! - updated pictures!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

very beautiful , It was well worth all that time spent, a lovely keepsake for your daughter, I especially love the design in the borders, did you come up with that design yourself and is that what you made your stencil for? It is very beautiful, very impressive. I know you will do wonderful with it in shows.

Thank you so much everybody! That was the start to my morning that I needed!!!!

OK to answer some questions -

Design - some quilts just talk to me. Since I pieced this one and quilted it, it talked a lot!:P:P:P My daughter had a lot to do with deciding on the quilting. She is a more a geometric person than I am. I was surprised at her border choice and also knew it would be a lot of work! She loved the circles in it. I decided on the straight lines in the background. She requested stippling and doesn't like McT'ing (how dare her)! I found this stencil which met her need for symetry and it fit the design. The stencil was actually only the middle part and then I just repeated the design out to make the fleur del lis design which she just absolutely loved. We decided that we wanted the smaller stars to pop more so that was why I did the cross hatching in the big stars.

Hunter star pattern - I used the Rapid fire Hunter star ruler and this was one of the variations (well mostly I think) I have it in EQ so if somebody wants it let me know. The ruler is worth it weight in gold! This was one of the squarest quilts I've ever done. It was wonderful to be able to line it up so easily on the machine and when I did the cross hatching you could tell in an instant if your seam was off.

Border design - the paisly design is one of Sharon Schambers, book #4 I think. It took a while to get a good stitching path on it but once I did I could do it continuous with some back-tracking.

Adam - Adam is the designer of the Quiltazoid and yes since the Quiltazoid is for sale everybody can have "an Adam":P:P:P:P:P:P

Background lines - These were done continuous with backtracking around the feather design. I did them in two parts, first I did them on one side of the feather design and then the other. It was so easy to line everything up with the Quiltazoid. I love this template!!!!!! quiltazoid.com

Cindy - I have been longarming for 2 years almost exactly. I got my machine just after labor day in 2007. I did have a stretched rotary machine for a year before that and I learned a ton on it but it didn't have any of the bells and whistles. No SR, no needle up/down, nothing. Just a machine on a table. I could quilt about 10" without advancing. It was a perfect learning tool though!

I think that covers it. Please let me know if I missed anything and again thanks for the compliments.

Heidi, That is an incredibly beautiful quilt. Your quilting is amazing. I love what you did in the borders, especially. What a treasure for you and your daughter. You are my new idol. I just got a LA machine one week ago. If I can do half what you do in 2 years time, I'll consider myself successful. Love it!!:D Darlene

Archived