Quilt in magazine....but...

Hi All! I'm a little steamed at the moment and not sure if I should be or not so I'm asking your opinions, please!

My good friend Gina designs quilts, publishes patterns in Quilter's World magazine regularly and on her own. I've quilted most of these quilts, usually custom and usually a rush. I enjoy adding to the beauty of Gina's quilts.

What's upsetting me is that my name, almost never gets put in as the machine quilter, my friend says that she includes it and has asked for it to be attached to the article. In the October 2009 issue on page 57 is Gina's Indian Summer, I quilted this quilt. It's quilted pictorially, a sun with rays, clouds, vines corn stalks with the corn silk, the whole 9 yards. I am bummed that my name isn't there. I don't get anything extra for doing this and I don't expect it but just an acknowledgment would be nice.

I am going to write to the magazine and probably cancel my subscription just because.

What do you think about this?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can understand why you would be mad, I would be too.

If you have a website you could plug yourself with the picture from the magazine/your friends quilt and your quilting.

You could also call the magazine and find out why your name was not included as the quilter. Most mags do include the longarmer. Perhaps your friend may not be telling you the whole truth maybe she accidently forgets to include your name in the rush to get it all in to the publisher and instead of comming clean with you she finds it easier to blame the publisher of the magazine.

Kim,

Have heard this complaint several times and I personally think it is wrong not to acknowledge the quilter - you have spent many hours quilting - maybe even more that the piecer. Unfortunately, most of the quilting magazines are not yet recognizing the LA side of quilting yet - only the design of the piecing. Until this changes, it seems like this problem will continue. I am glad you have contacted the magazine. I personally rarely buy a magazine anymore unless the pictures truly shows the quilting (& hopefully the name of the quilter) or there is a specific pattern that attracts me.

Maybe we all need to write to the magazines and ask for the names of the quilters and comment on the importance of the quilting side of the industry since it is growing so fast.

Kim I would be bummed too. To get a quilt that you have quilted in a magazine is quite a BIG deal, and then not to be mentioned is not right. Your work is wonderful and you should get credit where credit is due!!! When I look at the Magazines I want to know who quilted it and I am sure that all of the LAers do. Give um heck and maybe we all should too!!! :(:(:(

Kim

you definately should have been included as the quilter in the magazine and I would even let them know that I expect a correction in the next issue, I know it doesnt make up for it but they should if they left it off make a corr And if it was my friend and she didnt own up to it I dont think I would be quilting anymore quilts for her either. That pictorial quilt that Joanne quilted that was in the magazine recently gave credit to her in each month so far as I have seen. It is only right that credit is given when due, so yes you do have a reason and right to be upset.

I was just looking at an older issue of Quilter's World and they don't acknowledge anyone who quilted the quilts they feature. So I don't think its your friend that is at fault but the magazines methods. I"m sure if you let the magazine know how you feel they might change their ways, but i might take more than one complain to make them change how they write their articles.

Congratulations on having your work in the magazine!

Kim I agree with you as well. Now that I have a longarm machine I notice that I look at quilting magazines with different eyes. I used to just look at the patterns, now I am also looking at the quilting on them. If there are quilts that I particularly like the quilting on I will google the quilters name to see if they have a web site to see more of their work.

Acknowledging the quilter is more than a common courtesy, it is giving credit where credit is clearly due, and in my mind the quilter should reap the benefits of their input into that quilt. To spend hours on a quilt and to have that quilt published in a large publication means you need to be credited for that.

By the way, it would be great if you could post a picture of the quilt!

Helen

Thank you all for your kind words and support, credit where credit is due is right. I am looking for the pictures of this quilt, it was done last spring just before my son's wedding so things are more scattered than usual!

I did write them and if anyone else wants to add their voice to having LA's or any quilter given credit here is the e-mail address for Quilter's World-

Customer_Service@Quilters-World.com

If there weren't any quilter's named for any projects in this issue I wouldn't be steamed but several are so it's a righteous complaint!

Jeanne you are so right on the money!

Let's all keep "chipping away" at the old established mindsets that still exist. That said, there is power in numbers. If you asked everyone you know to send Quilter's World magazine an email complaining about the failure to recognize the quilter, I am sure they will eventually see the light. Just keep working at it.

Maybe this is a lot like the credits listed at the end of a movie. They roll by so fast and the print is so small you never can read the people's names. I am sure they all worked hard, too, on producing that movie but this is all they get is a quick blip on a screen that nobody can read. :(

Unsung heroes. That's us! :P

I agree, you're name should be right beside your friends. I'm writing to the magazine. I'm not sure what to say about your friend. I think I would tell her if the next quilt she gets published doesn't mention you, that's the last quilt you'll do for her??? I would do exactly like Mrsbishwit said, post it on your website.

I think that as an Industry, we need to ensure that Quilters are recognised. As Liam put it, Photographers are given credit for their efforts.

What also has to be considered is the fact that it is what you put on that quilt is your design, your thoughts, your ideas and your trials and efforts. Intellectually, the quilting is yours. How many of the women who want to copy this quilt will go their quilters and ask them to quilt it "just as in the magazine"? The magazines need to made aware that we, as quilters, are not prepared to accept that we loose all right to our work just because they refuse to or abrogate their responsibility, in acknowledging the combined effort in the featured Quilt's creation.

I found some pics of this quilt, they don't show the quilting very well and I don't have one of the back, drat! I need to get one for my records so I'll ask my friend to bring it with her when I see her this week! anyway here they are-

Indian Summer prior to quilting, image is reversed for some reason-

2200259210103203089S600x600Q85.jpg

This is the upper left corner-

3840103203089kAKyGH]2794833840103203089S600x600Q85.jpg[/url]

Archived