Prayer Request for my Dad

You all probably get tired of me....but I need one more prayer request.

My dad has been in the hospital since 4 am Monday morning. He has pancrintitus....I'm sure I butchered the name, but sound it out ;) Anyway, it is suppose to be very painful. They have had him on morphine, then taken him off for something less strong and that didn't work. Today my mom tells me that he is very disoriented and doesn't know who he is, where he is or anything like that. They took him to the bathroom and he fell so mom said half the floor of nurses were there helping to get him back to bed.

My dad is in the best of health, except he is going blind due to macular degeneration (all you medical people - I'm sorry for the misspelled medical terms - I am an entertainer not a doctor :D). Because he is losing his eyesight he doesn't do much any more.

So being in the hospital is not the norm, he doesn't take much medication and for his age that is pretty good. My dad is 82 years old and I know he is getting up in years and at his age time is getting close for him, he knows that too. We have talked about this many times.

Anyway, if you could keep him in your prayers. My parents live in Springfield - 3 hours away, so I can't get too them very easily. I will finish my day of work today and see what I need to do. My mom will call me tonight when she gets home from the hospital to tell me what she thinks I should do about coming down. I don't want my mom there alone if they should tell her bad news.

Apparently, my Dad has something that they are running tests on and the something is in his stomach. This just doesn't sound good...but I don't want to jump to conclusions.

Keep my Dad and my Mom in your prayers and thoughts and I will be eternally grateful. You all are the best. Thank you for letting me ramble.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Prayers for your Dad Mary Beth

I understand how it is as my Dad is in the same type of situation in NY and me in SC.

We just have to have faith that they are in God's hands first and foremost and he is in control of his days. They are already numbered no matter what the age. When I think about my parents ages it worries me until I remember that fact that they have been numbered from the get go and circumstances, worry, doctors, hospitals or any other situation will not change that fact!! My Dad just had gall bladder procedure where the took out some stones but couldnt remove the bladder as it is too enlarge and infected. They will try to remove it if they can get the infection/ enlargement to go down. He has many other things complicating it right now so I just give him over to the Lord and try to leave it with him. Prayer for you and your Mom and Dad!

Mary Beth, you and your parents are in my thoughts and prayers. My dad died when he was only 63... feels like a lifetime ago... he would be 87 this year, not much older than your Dad, and I still think of him everyday. You are so blessed to still have your folks. If you are able, take the time to go to them. You will remember these visits with them forever!

Bless you,

and (((hugs))):)

Mary Beth,

Spelled right or wrong it is very painful and I'm sorry he is going through this. He is probably disoriented from the meds. My mother has a cyst on her pancreas and we just keep waiting for worse news. It has been there for more than 2 years. Surgery is very dangerous and has a very high chance of becoming pancreatitis so they won't even think about removing it. Hang in there and lots of prayers coming for you, your mom and Dad!

I am praying for your Dad, your Mom and you. It's so hard to know when to run to them and when to give them space, parents are always concerned about us and at times we are so worried about them! My mom was sick for 9 months before she passed, and I am sure at time I was a pita to her. I figured better to be with her too much than not enough, I was right. Find a way to make the best and the most out of the time you have. Words we shold all remember everyday! ;)

Oh Mary Beth, I'm so sorry to hear of your dad. I know exactly what you're talking about, as my mom also suffered from pancreatitis and at the beginning it too drove her to delirium. The pain is so severe with this condition that the mind does play tricks on them. Please know that this will ease up once they find the right pain meds for him. My mom had two cysts on her pancreas, one the size of a baseball, no surgery, only strict diet and painkillers for quite an extended period of time. He too will feel much better when things are more under control.

My prayers are definitely with you and your family and I too am sending you ((((HUGS)))). One day at a time, my friend.

Yes, Mary Beth, I'll pray for your folks. My dad was disoriented in the hospital too, they called it sundowners syndrome. something that happens at time to older people. Its was very hard to see your own dad do things not normal for him. And it could be his meds too. Praying for the docs to find out what's wrong and for your mom to know what to do to help him.

Adding my prayers for all of you, especially Dad. Hope they diagnose the problem and have him back on track very soon. It is so hard being a distance from them. It was an 8 hr drive or 1 hour flight for me. I certainly understand. With a long weekend coming up, it might be a good chance for you to make the trip and give your mom a break. It is exhausting for the family.

Sending hugs along too.

Marilyn

Archived