NQR - Officials close Louisiana Island

Grand Isle was official closed today because of the oil "spill." Really is an oil gush! My DH was hoping he would make it to Grand Ilse tomorrow before it was closed to do some fishing and crabbing for the last time in probably several years.

Our freezer will be void of the fabulous Louisiana seafood. It is really shameful that oil is still spewing up from the earth's floor due to an accident.

We should remember the people who lost their lives also. Those poor people are rarely mentioned on the news. One young man left his 2 year old son and a wife who was 8 months pregnant.

Please keep our nation, the state of Louisiana, explosion victims and families and yes the oil companies in your prayers. Hopefully something (it may take a miracle) will happen soon to fix the leak!

Sandra

Yes Sandra, this spill is a huge tragedy in many levels. And I know this is just the beginning of a long battle ahead. I know that major things will change because of this spill. It makes me nearly sick to know this oil continues to spill and that it is spreading into the wetlands. I can't imagine how awful this is. I can feel this pain very closely because I work in the oil industry; I work for the company that runs the 800 mile Trans Alaska Pipeline. We are so extremely careful about spill prevention and we have practice response drills every week just because you never know when something might happen. Fortunately we have kept the oil in the pipe. Yes, it really makes me so very sad. I think about this spill daily. I often think about the families who lost loved ones who were at work when this happened..................... :( :( :( And I am so sorry for everyone who relies on these waters for fishing and their livelihood, and the many animals that will be effected. Let's all pray that they get this under control soon.

I know people are working very hard to try to find solutions and even everyday people like a video I saw of two farmer type people showing how hay could be used to absorb the oil, and then scooped off as it floats and collects the oil. I will try to find the video, somthing like this could actually help as far as getting the oil separated from the water. lets see if this link will work it shows an experiment of using hay to absorb the oil

http://www.wimp.com/solutionoil/

The BP officials had a meeting here on our coast and told the towns people to go out and pick up any trash they found. WHAT? That was their solution. Actually many folks spoke out and said that trash would help the situation by giving the oil something to cling to. Awful, just awful. On the other side of this situation this is fodder to shut down off shore drilling so we are completely dependent on foreign oil. Damned if we do damned if we don't!

I've seen many solutions for soaking up the oil, any ONE of which would have worked to at least get a handle on this. My area may not be effected yet, I don't think, but there was plenty of time to start with something to lay out a barrier before it hit the vital areas. Inexcusable.

Sandra, and Jeanne, I pray too, for the gulf coast people, no matter what state, and all who are directly connnected to and affected by this spill... and Jeanne, thanks for posting that video. I remember watching it before.. and think it's well worth the time for others to watch it too.

I just find it so darned hard to believe they don't have a quick, relatively quick that is, solution to plug the leak.. I think I have to agree with Sylvia here..

And everyone else that disagrees with their lack of action. It's plain sick.

RitaR

Jeanne, thank you for posting that video! Such a simple, effective solution. I hope SOMEONE in authority sees it and pays attention! I was amazed. It actually sounds like something my dear Dad would have come up with. :) He had a lot of common sense, a commodity which seems to be in very short supply these days!

It is so sad! I grew up playing in the sand and surf of Grand Isle. I have so many wonderful memories of family get togethers and days in the sun. Now to see it and all of the Gulf Coast being destroyed and brought to its knees really hurts. I still have family living in Houma (southwest of New Orleans) and along the Gulf. Fortunately they don't work in the oil industry but their living is greatly affected by all of this too. Like you, Sandra, my freezer will be empty of seafood for a long time. No more loading up the ice chests with fresh seafood for the trip home to Colorado. I pray for all the families (especially those who lost someone), the officials and our Mother Earth.

Dear Sandra,

My heart goes out to you and all those affected by this horrible pollution. Humans as a species are very hard to live with. We take what we want without regard for this planet or its other inhabitants. This is a great example of why we need to find better ways to fuel our cars. Change will not come from the top but by everyday people who care about this planet. It is my hope the president will STEP UP and demand BP pays for every cent of damage it has created. JUST my two cents.

Nora

I agree with all of you. This is so wrong. I live on the coast and like Shana, practiced "oill spill" recovery during my Navy days. I can't understand why more measures could not be taken to keep the oil out of the wetlands, beaches etc. Some communities asked the gov't to build some "false" beaches/dunes but were turned down. I really have sympathy for the families that lost members in the explosion, they have been fairly ignored. We just need to keep praying for this event and those affected including the animals.

Having looked at a lot of reports, I think the biggest problem is the amount of oil. It's huge. The pocket or oil seems to have become highly pressurised and is sending out oil at a rate no one has had to deal with before. I was so hoping they were going to have managed to seal it by now, but it's just too fierce.

I am sure the oils companies will all want this sealed ASAP if only out of self interest, but the harm is going to linger.

I am surprised the government haven't been backing plans for absorbent dams to at least restrict where the oil can get to.

Best wished for minimising the damage from this

Ferret

BP is being very "hush hush" and does not want to accept help. it is time for our state to take over and that is just what our governor is doing. He is fixing to take things into his own hands and I think the residents are too.

Our state has already put out hay along the barrier islands.

Napalitano (not sure how she spells it) is an idiot! AND she is so in-articulate!! Yes, Obama should step up and at the minimum ask BP for its plans!

It is frustrating that no solution is in sight.

Ok, venting over -- I want some shrimp.

Sandra

Sandra, I'm with you and I'm on the East coast. I'm an Emergency Manager and with hurricane season starting next week, I hope these guys get their act together. I shiver when I think about what a hurricane could do with that oil. On another note, I agree with you about our FEMA leader!!! I don't understand why they can't get someone smart in that very, very important position. Love you lady and am praying for all of you on the Gulf coast.

Archived