Bartering? I think not...

The well-meaning but rather pushy member of my guild called me today and pressured me to quilt a queen size quilt to be ready before Christmas. For free.

Like others who quilt for customers, I am in the midst of the holiday rush, with lots to be quilted and a waiting list of hopefuls if I can manage to get a bit ahead and do a few more.

There are about five others in the guild who have businesses. She had called a few others first and was turned down. Imagine that.

I gently asked her if she realized that we were all very busy until after the holidays and she side-stepped the issue and begged and cajoled. I asked who the recipient was to be and she said it was to be a donation to another organization for their silent auction. She said the fabric was from her stash, she and a friend pieced it and they needed it quilted. For free. Since it was for a favorite charity.

Hmmmm. Needless to say, I explained that I donate money and time to my favorite charities, I donate quilting to my much-loved guild, but I do not donate quilting for others to give away to THEIR favorite charity.

Then I suggested that I could barter with her for a quilting job after the holidays--maybe even between Christmas and New Years. What did I want? Christmas cookies. Twelve dozen delicious cookies that I can take to my work cookie exchange, all wrapped up pretty with one dozen per package. On the 22nd of December. She didn't bite. Said she was too busy to bake for someone else, especially just before Christmas.

Hilarious, huh??:P:P:P

This forum is great. I don't contribute much, but I sure do enjoy reading solutions to problems. This one really gave me a chuckle. Linda has such good solutions. I would have loved to see the look on the ladies' face when she offered to barter. I don't quilt for others, but I sure would put all of these clever ideas for dealing with people in my favorites if I did.

Thanks so much for all of the enjoyment and perfect solutions. And if you were closer I would bake a couple of dozen cookies for you.

Marilyn

Marilyn

Archived