NQR - Just don't try to surprise me on my birthday!

My birthday was on Tuesday this year so my DH threw me a family bbq on Sunday. It was great, lots of family and good bbq. At this party he gave me an orchid, which I like to grow. yay!

On my actual birthday, before DH leaves for work he hands me a gift bag with an orchid care book in it. yay! During the day, I spend some time gardening, taking birthday phone calls and I also went to the fabric store.

So then I am thinking, what would be good for dinner? Hmmm, deep dish supreme pizza, yep that's what I want! I call DH at work but he's not at his desk. Then, he calls me back.

Honey, I made reservations at a nice restaurant.

A nice restaurant? I don't want to be fancy, I just want pizza.

Are you sure?

Well, I really want pizza.

OK then, I'll see you in a bit.

So my poor DH and all of his plans have to change. He tells me later:

I had it all planned out. I was going to take 4 more potted orchids over to the restaurant beforehand and decorate the table. The table was next to the window facing the ocean so we could watch the sunset....

What actually happened was that DH came home and decorated our table with the orchids, another gift and a card. I came down the hallway and saw the table full of flowers. Still a big wow!

The other gift was a bracelet that I had admired while we were on vacation. Another big wow!

And then there was the card, now keep in mind that we are both on our 2nd marriages, and that WE just got married 6 months ago. The card said,

"If I had known I would get to spend the rest of my life with you, I would have started the rest of my life much sooner."

Then we went to Pizza Hut and Home Depot! A perfect birthday.

Happy Birthday Anne,

I agree, don't plan big surprises without learning first what is important to the one being surprised. The spending time alone would be great, (although, spending time alone with others serving you isn't bad either, as long as you feel like you are ready for the event.)

Glad you had a great time.

Archived