Electric bill?

We run our AC from April thru at least Nov. 1st. We live in the Palm Springs, CA area. Our bill from June thru Oct. would normally run from $350 to $450 a month for 2200 sq. feet. In June, we had a new AC and ducting installed. We had also installed dual paned windows throughout the house a few years ago. Our new AC is very energy efficient. We did not have a bill over $240.00 this year. Guess the $8,000 investment will pay off. We also have a pool and the filter runs alot, as well as computers on all day and a tv or two. Big improvement. We also installed two of the solar tubes a year or so ago and keeps two normally darker rooms nice and bright.

Here is very hot Chandler, AZ our elec bill last month was $750. Poor little A/C worked so hard every day to keep us cool in 120+ degree heat. Pool filtering was on as well. They say 1 hour for every 10 degrees...so that would be 12 hours? I don't think so!

I hope that doesn't happen very often!

:o:(:o:(

Wow Hitomi I would have a heart attack for sure! I'm on a budget plan and that is for gas (heating and cooking) and electric. My plan is $256 a month but this month it went down to $204 (got rid of MIL :-)) I would assume that is a little low. It should be around $225 or so. I think the highest I've been for electric in the summer with AC and pool running is about $275.

Guest Linda S

Whoa!! I have forced air gas heating, and a gas water heater, but the blower for the furnace is electric, as is the washer, dryer, and stove. My electric averages about $60/month -- sometimes a little higher for A/C in the summer and sometimes a bit above in winter from operating the furnace fan. My natural gas bill ranges from about $14 in the summer to $140 in the winter. I feel very blessed!

Our house is 4500 sq. feet and is total electric. It is poured 6 inch concrete walls with 3 inches of styrofoam on each side (ICF blocks). Our elec has never been over 240 for 1 month. We built with these because of tornadoes but the savings have been huge in other ways too.

Hitomi, we are in the same boat. Mine runs an average $700 a month. Has been as high as $1300 and as low as $350. We have a 3000 sq ft. two story house which is VERY well insulated and only two people living here. No pool, but we do have a hot tub that we only heat when we are going to use it. We have upgraded to all the energy saving things we can except solar, which may be my next move. I've heard that California is the WORST in the nation.

Originally posted by Busy Quilting

I had my husband switch off his wine cellar for our winter months, it dropped our electricity bill by 1/3rd. We rarely use the aircon, so my bills here are about $250 a month.

What would be interesting is the amount you physically pay per kilowatt.

In Qld Australia that is 20.69 cents.

We pay about 11.5 cents/kwh

In the spring and summer months our electric bills are high. Summer peak months over $500, but I work at home and our house faces east-west. In the winter our electric bills are about $180 to $200. We live in the central valley of California and it gets pretty hot and a bit humid because of the farming. I guess this is the one and only time I can actually say I'm glad I don't live in Hawaii! :D

Our bill was at $468 for months and months...then they finally read the meter and we didn't pay for about three months. I have no idea what the cost actually was for that time frame. We were running an electric heater overnight in the yurt and in the pump house (just high enough to keep the well from freezing) and the hot tub. I'm curious what the price will be in WA.

Archived