A bit overwhelmed!

My APQS dealer recommended I access the forum as it is a great place to network and learn. (Thank you Lyn, from Busy Quilting, Queensland, Australia)

She was right! The more I read here, the more I am learning, but the flip side to that is, the more I realize I need to learn!!! As a newbie, with the intentions of venturing into the longarm world, I feel I am now on an information highway!!! It's just a little overwhelming, how much information there is to wade through, and start filing away in the grey matter.

Is there anyone else out there, that felt this way when just starting out??

Julie P.:)

Welcome Julie! It brings back memories of the first few time when I got Millie. I remember the first time using rulers and hitting one LOL You will get less nervous everytime you do a quilt and then if you start doing them for customers that's a whole new ballgame. Everyone is great at chiming in and helping you just need to ask. You will be addicted like the rest of us soon. Again Welcome

Nan

Hi Julie,

It is overwhelming, but take heart that there are so many longarmers ready to help you at a minute's notice on this Forum.

When I ordered my longarm, I spent 3 months reading forum posts every day; then, after my machine arrived, I spent another 3 months doing the same thing and still not having the courage to touch my new machine! When I finally found myself answering questions on the forum, I realized that my learning curve had peaked and it was time to dive in and start doing the real thing.

That was 8-1/2 years ago, and I still learn something new every day on this forum. It is a wonderful support group made up of very nice people.

Have fun and welcome!

Thank you to all that have given me such positive feedback! Your comments helped me realize, that the apprehension comes with the turf, and with time it will subside. (I'm guessing it will never quite totally disappear)

It's nice to know I'm not the only one that has felt this way (at some point in their quilting career), and that there is a support network of very experienced and knowledgable people willing to offer their help and encouragement.

Julie P:)

Hi Julie Jewwels! :) Welcome. Yeah it's a bit information overload, but just take one day at a time. Baby steps. Don't try to cram it all in for the big quiz in the morning...

(there's not going to be a quiz i promise) :P

We were all there in your new baby shoes ... so there is hope for you. :)

Anyway, just take it one day at a time. Don't be afraid to try. Take baby steps. And give yourself room and space to screw up. You will, I promise. :) But that's a good thing. Try, learn, learn again. we are here to help. Don't be afraid to pop in and ask questions any time.

Julie,

Everyone of us started the same way your are and felt the same way too! Practice, Practice, Practice on your quilts, charity quilts, or just fabric sandwiches on your machine. It is amazing how much you learn just by doing over and over again.

The day will come when you look back at those early quilts and see just how much you have learned. Boy has my style of quilting changed as I grew.

Ask anything, no mater how trivial, because we have all been there, or there is someone who did not want to ask but needed the information too. Enjoy the ride! you will never regret your decision to become a longarmer! Nice to meet you!

I've been quilting for 2 1/2 years and even though I've really improved, I'm still asking questions and kicking myself for forgetting to do things that I wanted to do, but couldn't remember. It does come with the territory. Right now I'm quilting my own quilts that I wouldn't touch even a year ago, because I didn't believe I could do a good job on them.

Welcome to the forum!

Welcome Julie,

Great that you have been in contact with Lyn, help is always at hand whether through the forum or by e-mail.

Just have a go is the way to start, these machines are so tough and easy to get along with (most of the time) that pretty much anything you try will surprise you with how good it looks, there is really no limits to what you can do.

I've been long-arming for 12 years now and there are a zillion things that I still want to try out, inspiration comes every day, just finding the time is the biggest challenge.

Enjoy the ride!

Welcome to our "family" and I do mean family. We all felt like you in the beginning (sometimes I still do). Take it easy and absorb the info slowly. The great thing about the forum, is that you always have 24/7 help. There's always someone online because we span many time zones. If you don't get an answer right away, you can do a search on here and probably find what you're looking for. We love our "newbies" because you give us a fresh look at techniques and remind us of things that may have been forgotten (those light bulb moments). Welcome!!!:cool:

Welcome! I remember when I learned to drive a car! That was overwhelming too, but now it is second nature. I think quilting is much the same. But there is always something new to learn when quilting and working with a long-arm machine after a while it is not overwhelming, just exciting.

The great thing about this forum is you can learn so much and avoid some of the newbie mistakes! I recomend this forum to all quilters, especially those who are just starting to look for a machine. It's a great place to have any question answered. You can bet that when something happens to you, there is always someone on this forum who has had the same thing happen to them, and will give you good advice. Happy quilting!

Julie, we also love to "laugh" at ourselves. Some of the stories on here will make you chuckle. One time I spent a whole day (6 hours) trying to figure out why my machine was making crappy stitches, only to figure out I forgot to set the speed/stitch length:o

Guest Linda S

Hi Julie. I'm not sure how long APQS has had this forum, but back in 2004 when I was first starting out, it seemed it was just me and Judy Laquidara here. She was such a great help to me and I learned so much, then more and more folks came and the wealth of information grew. I think this is about the best site for help on the internet, especially for those of us with APQS machines. We learn a lot from others with different machines who stop by too. It feels like home here!

Archived