Practice quilts

A friend of a friend gave me some quilts to practice on. She needed them done and I need lots of practice. She said don't rip anything out. None of them are good but I wouldn't throw them away either. I showed them to a non-quilty friend who said how did you get them so uniform. I had to laugh out loud. Perspective is relative.

Anyway, the lady wants to pay me for my supplies which I think is reasonable. I am learning with each quilt. My most recent "aha" moment is to measure the quilt across top middle and bottom before loading it on the frame. The first quilts I did I just stretched out the fullness. Then I watched Myrna's videos (Thanks again Myrna) and recognized the problems and quilted out some wavy borders. However this quilt is still not "square" by a half inch.

Here are some pictures. It is hard to show the work and I am really sort of embarrassed to show it but constructive criticism is appreciated. Well I finally got the picture to attach but what good is a picture if you have to resize it so much!

post--13492895113261_thumb.jpg

Great job! They don't look like practice quilts to me. You did some wonderful quilting on these. It does help to have actual quilts to practice on. I made a few of my own to work on when I was getting started. Good luck and please keep posting pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Archived