Fast piecing, fast quilting....

This was pieced and quilted (by me) really quickly with the tube piecing method, and I quilted it using a new to me panto called swirls and such, which is not actually that good spacing between the rows  and where the panto pattern tells you where to space it is actually too much between the rows, and they don't interlock very well anyway for my liking, but I don't think most people would notice the spacing...  only to the trained professional... its only my quilt so doesn't matter too much.  Glad I tested it out on my own first though...

I love the quilt itself though.. .lovely fabric range by moda called simply colour

I had fun quilting this after an intense custom job...

8524314671_c693b299fa.jpg
IMG_1538 by J-Quilts, on Flickr

8525320894_e002e41bba.jpg
IMG_1558 by J-Quilts, on Flickr

8525320496_edc23dccb0.jpg
IMG_1560 by J-Quilts, on Flickr

It is a fun fast quilt....

Very pretty! Spring like! just what I needed here in NE Ohio! Is that a Missouri Star pattern? And what in the world is tube piecing??

Kind of a Missouri star pattern but without the borders...  and I have also seen this quilt design by  many other designers too....  its just a strip pieced quilt...   the tube piecing I picked up way back in the day from Eleanour burns originally I think, it may have been another online teacher from qnntv,  but again Missouri Star company is where I recently re aquainted myself with the technique...

Two strip sets from jelly roll strips,  one is solid, print, solid, and the other, print, solid, print.  One strip set put on top of the other and sewn together along the top and bottom thereby creating a very long tube.  Then the tube is cut into triangles using the seam line against the 45 degree line on a square ruler,  I used a 6.5 inch square ruler which was perfect for this job.  Then the triangle opens out into the square block.  So fast...  I watched the quilting quickly classes on craftsy with Joan from Missouri quilt company.... but I think she has them from free on her MSQC website...   I should maybe have mentioned that already...  but as I said I have seen this quilt design many times before... much like a log cabin block...  I don't think any one designer should get credit for it...

Also coincidentally after I made the quilt, I picked up a new magazine in the local newsagents and it only turns out that jenny has a new magazine out I think its called Quick Quilting or Quilting quickly and Fons and Porters seem to be the sponsors....  they are a bit basic quilts in there, but fun for beginners... or for fun fast quilts... LOL

I adore this quilt and your quilting!  I must check this out as sometimes quick is just so right!  So, now....1. you put a white and a print and made a strip, then 2. you sewed another white and print strip, then 3. you made a tube out of them?  when you layered the strip sets the whites were not on top of one another or were they?  Hmmmmmm.......

I adore this quilt and your quilting!  I must check this out as sometimes quick is just so right!  So, now....1. you put a white and a print and made a strip, then 2. you sewed another white and print strip, then 3. you made a tube out of them?  when you layered the strip sets the whites were not on top of one another or were they?  Hmmmmmm.......

Hi Sylvia,

No when the two strip sets (of 3 strips) are on top of each other, the solid is on top of the print, and vice versa...  I think there is a tutorial for this on the Missouri quilt co website/youtube channel

The strip sets have three strips not two, although you can do the same process with any number of strips to get varied results...  have already planned a few more quick ones..  I am currently trying to make some quick quilts to quilt up some sample pantos....  well thats the plan at least.

Great Job.....Jenny always makes her quilts look fast and fun......bet she is a real fun person in real life too!

That would be a good class to teach too Janette???

yes she does look fun.....  and it would be a fun class to teach...

Archived