Vacuum for the studio

Well, it's only been a few weeks and my thread littering habits may have to be curbed or I need a vacuum just for this space. I have carpet in my studio and have realized that my regular vacuum may be getting ruined by the threads. Do you have a dedicated vacuum for your threads in the studio? What kind? Any suggestions for a broom or something for carpet?

Threads on the floor!!!!!  Oh no you are a tosser......

I possibly have thread OCD and mine all go in one of the four thread catcher I have within arms length of my machine.  The main one sits on top of the machine,  put a coffee filter paper inside it and it is very easy to then empty. I pass all my threads onto embroiderers who use it for something!.

I too collect my threads, I have a container on my Millie table and one at my sewing desk. I save my thread clippings for the birds for nest building; I place them in an old plastic butter container with the lid. I have holes in the side of the container so the birds can pull the treads out. The container is attached to a fence post.

I do have a extra vacuum that I use only in the studio.......a Hoover.

I do have a vacuum that I use just for the upstairs where my long arm is.  Only because I didn't want to haul a vacuum up and down the stairs all the time.  If you have a spinning brush on your vacuum, you will need to clean it quite often to keep the threads from wrapping around your brush.  I try not to have lots of thread on the floor, sometimes it is unavoidable.  I like the idea of the coffee filter inside a thread holder for easy empting

I found that my vac was  taking  a  beating also, but not for much longer - hardwood floors are being installed next week!  hurray!

I try and bag my threads - I have this vision that once they collect to a reasonable size there is some decorative thing i'll do with them in a mason jar with ribbon -but, who knows.    I also take a piece of painters tape, turn it in side out and stick it on my shirt when I am quilting, any threads that I have, I just stick on the tape, then toss the tape when i'm done quilting.  It isn't elegant, but it works and helps keep them off of the floor.

I too am a thread collector, only they go in the trash when I'm done collecting.  I wear a smock when I quilt.  The right pocket is for marking tools, screw driver and any other small tool and the left pocket is for threads.  When I snip I automatically put the thread in my pocket.  Now if I forget to put the smock on the threads end up on the floor and I laugh.  It is really 2nd nature to put them in the pocket.  I hate getting up the threads off the floor.  I have hardwood floors with a small area rug by my sewing machine.  That rug ends up in worse shape but then I don't wear my smock when I'm sewing.  good luck!

I have to confess, I too am a tosser!  I try....but when I am busy and need to move on, and my thread catcher is at the other end of the frame (14ft)  I just toss them to the floor....

I found a sticky roller with an extended arm that I try to use at the end of the day or before I vacumn which helps somewhat, but I still find that I occasionally need to sit on the floor and snip out the threads that get wound around my roller on my dyson.  Sometimes I remember to just use the hose and try to get most of the threads up before I run the vacum with the rollers on the floor.  But....I wish there was an app for the thread on the floor thing!  :)

I had carpet in the studio and I admit, I am a "tosser" also, but I am breaking the habit.  I have a Dyson Animal DC23 that i use for my carpeted areas and the beater bar is incredibly easy to take apart an clean of the miles of thread that collected there.  Since I put laminate flooring in the room, i bought a Handheld rechargeable Dyson.  The suction is incredible and the attachments clean all the crevices and surfaces of the fluff and dust collecting there.  

It's nice to know I'm not the only one that doesn't toss threads. I had a friend come over to help with a quilt once and she was a thread tosser and I thought I was going to have a panic attack watching her throw the threads on my carpet! I kept my mouth shut because I knew she was only going to be there for a few hours and then I could vacuum with my studio-dedicated Dyson. :unsure:   My studio may be cluttered, but I have designated "trash" cups and glass jars setting in various places to place my stray threads in. 

I also use a coffee filter taped to the side of the machine to hold snipped thread. I have a $150 Hoover bagless in the studio which has lasted many years.

I save the snippets in a baggie and offer them at guild to the arty quilters. They fight over the bags. I'll have to put some out for the birds this year.

I use the apron idea like Heidi and Charlotte. The right pocket is for small tools and the left is for thread. I'm not an organized person by any stretch, but once you get into the habit, it's great. And sometimes it just fun to pull out that wad of thread and look at it. Didn't think of putting it in a jar, but I love that!

I too have the Dyson, and LOVE LOVE LOVE it to pieces! I also have attached a sour cream container onto my CL arm off to the side, and that's where my threads go...well 99% of them anyway...if they end up on the floor (carpet for now)...hardwoods coming someday...then OH WELL! Let the vacuum do it's job!

I try to collect my threads but in the long run there are still alot of threads that end up on the floor that is carpeted. Don't know how that happens. So I finally found a way to not have to clean the roller on the vac so often. I use the hose for attachments and go around and suck up the large peices of threads before I actually vaccum all the tiny peices and seems to work rather well and only have to clean the roller every 4 to 6 months.  Yes you have to vaccum twice and takes longer when using the hose but I like it better than taking apart the vac more often to clean the roller. Still looking for other solutions besides removing the carpet.

I use the new toilet bowl brush then I have a vacuum for hard floors that has a V on the bottom and no roller. I have puzzle mats. I try to put my snippets in a container but sometimes I'm really into it and they go on the floor. For the threads that the dog carries onto the carpet I get to cut them off the roller of my other vacuum.

Shirley

**hangs head in shame**   I. am. a . tosser.     :ph34r:

I like the idea of pockets -  maybe I need to get into a better habit.  I am a newbie, so I can break my newly formed tossing habit.   :huh:

I was looking at medical/doctor coats anyways - to keep my body thread/fabric free and to protect the quilt from any dye from my clothing.   I'll make sure to get one with pockets.  

Thanks for the ideas.   Toilet brush huh?   

I have to confess that I am also a tosser! But I think you have convinced me to try to change my ways. I have known some folks who keep a small piece of batting on their shoulder and put the thread there. They say the threads stick well to the batting but I've always been afraid that then would fall and find their way onto my frame.

Claire

I put my threads on the top leader that doesn't roll and then throw them all away when I'm done. I set them on the table when I use my dm but some always fall on the floor.

I love the apron Idea though. I'm always at the wrong end of the machine when I need a tool. And it would be a great place to put the extra bobbins filled bobbins.

Thanks for the ideas all.

Some great ideas here !    I have small waste cans under my table at each end and try to use those as much as possible.   Also have a small box that I can sit on the quilt top and move along as I am working.   If I have a lot of thread snipping to do, that works well.   I don't save threads........they get dumped in the trash cans when the box gets full.   I hate having to clean that brush roller on the vacuum, so try to avoid threads on the floor as much as possible.  When I go to quilt group and sew, I have one of those weighted pin cushion/bags next to my machine.  Those work great.  At home I have a waste can right by me when I am sewing.   I still manage to get thread and fabric snippits on the floor though.  haha 

I cut leftover batting into small squares to be used as thread catchers and place them in all the places where thread might get snipped - 2-3 places around Milli, beside my DM, at the ironing board, and beside my 'watch TV while ripping out stitches' place. My next goal to to have a pair or scissors at each of these places too! That would save soooo much time.

I'm most definitely a tosser. Have tried the vacuum but it gets jammed. I have the toilet bowl brush to clean them up but there are so many threads that they are hard to remove and I get thread cuts sometimes. I really need to wear an apron. I have one from Home Depot and will start wearing it tomorrow.

As I read these posts I smiled. You see I do them all. I have 2 flower pots located near Millie ti use as small trash cans. Then there are the batting squares laid around. There is a trash can located at one end of the Millie and there is a bamboo floor.  I try to remember to put the threads in one of these places. The flower pots, well the threads are hanging off the edge of the pots and surround the pot as well. The Batting may trap some of the threads and the then the trash can has threads hanging all around as well. Then there is that bamboo floor. The threads seem to like it the most! I can sweep or vacuum and within a few minutes, well the threads seem to reappear! I guess it is just thread art!!! ^_^

Oh yes I made a bunch of little rope baskets to hold thread too. Well the threads again seemed to like the floor best! ;)

Archived