Listening to tunes/books while you quilt

Do you listen to music or audiobooks or television while you are longarm quilting?  Or, nothing at all?   

I usually have the tv on in the background....but thought about listening to an audiobook.  I've never done that before, but it sounds like it would really be enjoyable.  Then I wonder if I'll be able to hear if someone rings the doorbell, phones, etc.  

What do you listen to, if anything...and how do you listen to it?  (loud stereo, ipod, earbuds...?_

ummm...I used to listen to music in my ancient "boom box" with my other set-up...worked just fine....also to audio books...good too unless you are really concentrating on the quilting...then may need to go back and re listen to the part of the book you missed while concentrating.  I haven't tried this yet with Lucey...hope I can still hear!  Lin

I too listen to audiobooks with ear buds and an iPod.  I can hear the phone ring, someone knocking on the door, etc. I can also still hear changes in the sound of the machine such as the noise mine makes when I am reaching the end of a bobbin.   Listening to a book makes the time fly by and as Sylvia said, I too think it helps my quilting!

I listen to music and once in a while I listen to the the tv. I do have to have the volume turned up. I don't hear th door bell when I am quilting anyway so I leave that to hubby, if he is not here I just don't worry about it. Friends and customers call before coming by anyway. I believe strongly, I quilt better to the "right" music for me!

I have wireless earphones to listen to the TV (or music channel) when my machines are running.  I can still hear the phone (I have one in the same room) and sometimes can hear family on the lower level from the loft.  I can keep my TV sound down and then the earphones at the level where I can hear the words clearly but not yelling in my ear.

Found my present set at Staples for 59.00

I mostly listen to tv and music while quilting. I find I have to have something in the background.

I am recently listening to audiobooks and I find it takes practice. I started walking with audiobooks and earbuds and found I was having to listen over again because my thoughts would get in the way! I am better now and want to try it when I am quilting.

I either listen to the radio as background noise, or audio books on my iPod with Bose ear buds. I have no problems hearing the phone or a knock on the door and love how fast the time flies while listening to a good book. Sometimes knowing that I get to continue with the story will get me in the studio faster.

I listen to audio books on CD with ear buds.  The only drawback is that once a day or so the cord from the earbud catches on a drawer knob, a cabinet corner or some little thing sticking out from the LA and rips them out of my ear!  It always shocks me, and yet it happens over and over, LOL.  I know the solution is to snake the buds up through my blouse, but that's too much work ;)

I started listening to audio books to keep me from getting distracted by house & kid stuff when I quilt.  Now I don't step away from quilting as much to switch a load of laundry, put away some dishes, etc.  Also, I tend to quilt a little longer -- trying to finish off a CD before I call it a day, so I don't have to start in the middle.  Though I keep a pad of paper on my cutting table to write down which track I stopped on, so I can come back to it.

I listen to audiobooks on my iPhone, which I download from the library. When a phone call comes in I just press a little button on the earbuds and it switches to the phone. Then when the other person hangs up, the book comes back on. I just finished Jody Picoult's new book "The Story Teller". I also LOVE Lee Child's Jack Reacher series; also Janet Dailey's Calder Family Saga series. The first three aren't on audiobook, so it's good to read those first, so you get familiar with the characters. Then each book after that, it's like you're visiting with old friends while you're quilting. ;)

I find when I'm working on an intense custom quilt with a lot of repetition, that listening to the books really makes the time go quickly.

i listen to music albums i like on my kindle and can hear it above the sound of my machine...  i get a bit bored witboyt tge music... today ive been listening to Taylor swift and its quite   gentle soothing music...  easy listening nothing too heavy...

I too listen to audiobooks with ear buds and an iPod.  I can hear the phone ring, someone knocking on the door, etc. I can also still hear changes in the sound of the machine such as the noise mine makes when I am reaching the end of a bobbin.   Listening to a book makes the time fly by and as Sylvia said, I too think it helps my quilting!

For me, Janna said it all.  Audio books keep me quilting.  Sometimes I have to play the game of "Ok Chris, just quilt till the end of the cd and then you can take a break."  Especially if the quilt is boring to quilt or very intricate. Music does not do a thing for my quilting.  Love my books!  I even start to get nervous if I am near the end and no new book to start! LOL  Time to run to the Library!

I haven't done anything yet, since I'm just getting used to the machine.

However, we just got a new Honeywell wireless doorbell that is also portable and is plenty loud.  It also has a light on it too that is meant to alert someone who is hearing impaired.  We needed a doorbell anyway and with the quilting machine downstairs in a closed room, we can either hear it or "see" it if we have earbuds on or the music cranked.

Joan

I'm listening to all of Jillian Micheals podcasts.  I have an android phone so I got an app called podkicker and that allows me to listen to podcasts.  I've just started doing this and I find it better as I don't get distracted by the tv.

I live on acreage, so I know I'll not bother my neighbours, so I crank the music and rattle the windows!  Lol!  I play the CDs off my computer, as it has some good speakers and it's close at hand in my studio.  Yesterday I listened to Jonathon and Charlotte, she is 16, he is 17.  I have their CD "Together".  It's amazing!  Here's a link if you want to listen to a sample.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=www3RwEKcm4  

Archived