Hey, all you lurkers out there!

A few lurkers have "come out" and posted lately, and we are all so happy to "hear" from them. This is a public invitation for more of you to do so.

This is why I'd like to hear from you:

I took an online university class a few years back, and it was a new and different experience compared to being in a regular college classroom.

In a regular classroom, there are always a very few students who dominate the classroom, need all the attention, ask all the questions, answer all the questions, etc., while the majority never say a word. I married one of those people who 'never said a word', and what a shame that he never contributed because he had profound things to say but was never comfortable speaking in a crowd.

In the online classroom, however, everyone was required to participate and contribute to all the subjects presented for discussion (grades depended upon it), and I was struck by the wonderfulness of it all. Experiences shared and opinions offered that would never have been shared "in public." Some were controversial, but how educational to learn why people think controversial things. Most people just dismiss anything controversial without investigating, but people have logical reasons for believing what they believe!

But I digress.

The point I am trying to make is that everyone has something valuable to contribute, and I would like to encourage lurkers to "come out." You may think that you don't have anything meaningful to contribute, but you're wrong. It may be just an offhand remark someone makes that someone else finds meaningful. You have had experiences unique to you that someone else can benefit from, and we would like to hear about them.

You are among friends here, we're mostly lovable, don't argue much, and no physical blows have ever been struck! We were all unsure beginners at one time. We grow together.

You can stay completely anonymous (there are no quilt police in your area, I checked) or come out complete with picture and address, whichever way you are more comfortable, but please let us hear from you.

Coax, coax, coax.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, my name is Leta and I was a lurker. Thank you for the coaxing. I am usually the one to speak out in most situations, but here I was holding back. I think it was because everyone seems to know each other and I thought I might be interrupting an important conversation between friends. But your reminder that we "ARE" among friends is inviting all in itself. THANK YOU!!

Leta

WE all started some place.....I didn't know anyone on here when I started a zillion years ago...and I have to say alot of those have gone and I wonder are they lurking or have they really gone into another sector....:P

So come play with us....

Hi I'm not a total lurker but maybe I never introduced myself- I have been piecing since my first pregnancy 29 years ago. I have a Millie that I bought just over 3 years ago, before that I had the original handi quilter which used a dsm to quilt. It was fun yet very frustrating and limited. My first real job(where they took out taxes) was in a little fabric shop in NJ called The Stitchery, I love fabric and working with fibers of all kinds. I have a DH, the same one for almost 31 years and 4 grown children, all of whom own several quilts. I worked at my LQS for 7 years until last fall when I just got too busy with my quilting business. I still teach there each session.

I've been to MQX twice in '06 & '07, taken classes with many wonderful, talented, giving long arm teachers.

I don't get to make so many of my own quilts these days but I have the pleasure of helping many others finish theirs. I have a studio where all of my quilting is in one place which is amazing and I have to furry Goldens, Morgan & Daisy who keep me company while I quilt.;) I enjoy reading and responding to the lists here, it's a great place to get help and share!

Thanks for saying what you said, Ann.

Hey, as far as I'm concerned, the more the merrier! One can not have too many friends, I think. I love people (especially if they are quilters). :)

I'm known to talk a lot here, I have a big mouth, and I like to be silly and stupid and crack jokes. Sometimes I am sure I annoy with my silliness, but I try to be a good girl and behave, but sometimes I just can't...

Originally posted by quiltmonkey

I'm known to talk a lot here, I have a big mouth, and I like to be silly and stupid and crack jokes. Sometimes I am sure I annoy with my silliness, but I try to be a good girl and behave, but sometimes I just can't...

And some days its either sit here and talk to folk ya love or sit in a corner and cry...because whatever you touch that day goes so down hill...... Me too, I have a big mouth, and I like to see people smile, so hopefully I can help you in that department if nothing else.:P;)

Thanks AnnHenry for the gentle nudge. I have contributed on the forum off and on for a little over a year and most times I feel like I don't know enough to contribute. I check the forum every day a couple of times during the day, but again I don't often say anything unless I feel I've got an answer for someone or I have a request. I'm so overwhelmed by all the talent and expertise that I just watch, learn and keep my mouth shut. I'll try to do better. I so enjoy some of the 'give and take' I see on the threads. I laugh and laugh. Thanks for speaking up--maybe it will give me the courage to say more.

Becky

I am one of those lurkers who has come out recently. I've had my Millie for 1 year now and this site has helped me immensely with all of those little problems we seem to have with our machines. A little bit about me--I have sewn all of my life making clothes for myself and for the kids when they were little. My kids are now 27 and 29 yo adults and enjoy the quilts I have given them over the last 10 years when I ventured out to quilt making. I needed to leave my job last spring because of health reasons. After working near chemicals as an Adm.Asst. at a research institute for 13 years, the exposure was causing migraines and sensitivity to many things. I am now off of all drugs and rarely get a migraine. Yeah!! I decided to start a home business and my longarm business was born.

I am basically a shy person which is the reason I lurk on this site most of the time. But, will try to be more outspoken in the future.

:)

Susan

Leta, leann and everyone else! I joined on here a little over 2 yrs ago, and it's become quite addicting to say the least.

Just take the leap! I've chatt'd for 2 yrs now and went to MQS for the first time this last May.

It was the best trip i'd taken. There were Hugs, Kisses, Encouragement, Laughter...the list goes on and on.

And, it was like coming home!

Dont be discouraged or disapointed by anything. We've all done boo boo's...we've all asked for help...and nobody's perfect except GOD.

The more the merrier!

Welcome EVERYONE!!!!!!!! JUST GO FOR IT!!! Come on OUT...U know who U R!!!!!

Hi there, I'm a semi-lurker too. I've only asked a few questions, but never really introduced myself. I have learned so much from this forum and read it every day, sometimes too many times. I owned a Pfaff GrandQuilter for two years before taking the big plunge at Paducah this year and bought a Lenni. I absolutely love it, although I am completely intimidated by all the wonderful quilt pictures that have been posted here. I don't want to go into a hard core quilting business, but would like to make a little pocket change to offset my many quilting purchases. I'm hoping my friends and guild members will toss me a bone occasionally. Personal info...married 31 years next month, have a 27 yr. old, unmarried daughter who moved out of state. Retired from BellSouth (phone company) at the tender age of 46 (12 years ago). I am excited about Myra F. coming to the Georgia Quilt Show next month, I am taking her "Just Do It" class and can't wait.

I feel like I know "the regulars" here, and I guess it's time you all, or as we say here in Georgia, y'all know me.

Happy to be here.

Guess I never Introduced myself too. I read this forum ever morning and night, I have gotten so many good tips. I found my APQS Liberty on this site. This was my 60th Birthday Present. I am really new to quilting, but fell in love. I am married to a Auto Mechanic, and his shop is next to mine.

Between the two of us we have 6 grown children and 11 grandchildren. 2 of our children live in Iowa, and one son in Birmingham, Al the others live in Eastern South Dakota. We also live in Eastern SD. Yes, I believe all these people have become my online friends.

Becky (raggie) - I see you live in St. Charles, MO. My DH was born and raised there, he moved away in 1979 when he join the military (retires in 9 mos). We visit his father there 3- 4 times a year. Wouldn't it be a very small world if it turns out you know each other?

What wide open arms of hospotality! Thank you. I am a proud owner of a APQS Liberty and have never been sorry I made that decision three years ago. I have been lurking on the forum for a long time and must admit you guys are full of info. It has helped me alot. I phoned Bonnie with a spray and starch conversation. That solved my problem. Hey Bonnie, what about the Video or DVD on starch and steam. ? I still want one. I have three grown children and I've been a widow for two years. Quilting is my part time business plus I do Home Health Care . I visit the forum on a daily basis.

Now lets hear from more of you.

Hi

My name is Jenny & I live in Melbourne, Australia.

Lenni is clearing customs at the airport right, now so I am hoping for a delivery very soon (Sue?).

I read the forum everyday & hope I have picked up enough information to get started.

I am probably going through all the emotions that you all went through & am happy that if

I have any problems you are all here to help. I love all the pics as I am a visual person & hope to be posting a

"my first quilt" pic in the not too distant future.

Welcome all lurkers! I agree with everyone, the more the merrier. I've never met most of the quilters on here but feel close to each of them. This site is addicting, I probably spend to much time at work reading this forum but it keeps my sanity intact. The more participants on here the more opinions, ideas, tool suggestions, etc!!!

Hi Jolene,

I don't know any Kneemillers, but I didn't grow up in St. Charles. I became a resident when I started teaching in the area and I just ended up here. I am retired now, but still have a home here. You probably are familiar with Patches, etc. on Main Street in St. Charles. What a great quilt shop! You'll have to let me know next time you are in town and maybe we can meet.

Becky

Hi everyone Just had to respond because it made me giggle to think of myself as a lurker!! But if the cap fits.. To introduce myself I live in a small country town in south australia. Australia. I have had my millie for about two and a half years now and after the first fears have had a great time getting acquainted. You gals have helped me greatly over this time and quite often when something has happened with the machine I find myself checking in because as sure as eggs are eggs one of you have some wonderful tip or words of wisdom. About me, I am married and have been for 27 years and have four kids ranging from 1 married with one grandchild, 19 year old ,17 year old and then Hannah 10 years old. Quite a mix but they are ALL used to their crazy wife and mother who can quite often be found at any time of the night on one machine or another!!! Many years of eating tea around my sewing machine and numerous "must finish" projects have made my kids very tidy eaters!!! absolutely no accidents ever. I do have a wonderful quilt room where millie lives and I spend countless hours there, but I also love designing and making quilt tops. Often if they can see me they dont need me. Hence my residence at the dining table. You have encouraged me so much just wanted to add my thanks. When I can get my head around posting photos I will do so. I have been taking customers quilts in for about twelve months now and have enough demand to allow me to stay at home and do this all the time. Not huge profits but I love what I do, love helping others finish something they want to do. I am blessed. I also talk too much sorry. Till next time Cheers alison

Archived