Log Cabin with Stars - Done with pix

I finished this one last Friday. I was delighted to see the secondary pattern of diamond shapes produced by the diagonal lines.

The blocks are big so I marked the lines first and then used my big Megan's Best (8") to do the lines being careful not to move or get a ripple when I moved the ruler. Only 2 oops to frog afterwards. I already have the Diamond Diagonal rulers ( 15 and 22") on order - it sure would have been easier if I had them for this quilt.

Thread: I used Bottom Line Sage #613 to SID the stars; Signature (cotton-wrapped poly) Pink Chiffon#209 in the feather swags in the blocks and swags; So Fine Scarlet or Claret for the diagonal mountain ruler work and for the red border feathers; and So Fine It's a Girl #418 pink in the bobbin.

The batting is (awful) customer-provided W&N Soft and Brite. I took 2 of my samples and quilts with me to show how how wonderful both QD Puff or QD wool are for lofty. I had a couple areas where the red thread from the feathers pulled thru to the back a tiny bit. She is such an exceptional piecer, I think that she would be happier with a loftier batt. Of course, those are my 2 favs so I admit there is some bias.

As an aside, I washed and dried both the quilts the night before so she could see how nice the quilt is after laundering. The one with the wool batt was my first show quilt which has been in a bag most of the time and this was it's first washing. It is a blooming 9 patch made with mostly Asian fabrics which have some gold highlights in them. The center fabric in the quilt is a tiny flower print with gold, all of the gold washed off of the fabric. Since I was showing it to my customer at the LQS, I pointed that out to the owner of the LQS, especially since she still has some of it on the bolt. Hmmmm, buyer beware.

Lots more photos on my blog.

post--13461901489646_thumb.jpg

Wow, Linda you are such an inspiration. Your quilting is beautiful and your ideas are outstanding. I went to your blog and looked at the pics it is just beautiful.When I look at something like this I ask myself why am I doing this I'll never be that good.

Great, great job.

PamH

Linda, that turned out so pretty, and I know you are very proud. You went above and beyond to show your customer the differences in batting on your own two quilts. And definitely interesting to see that some of the gold design flaked off your blooming 9 patch quilt! Too bad! I remember that beautiful quilt hanging at MQS last year!

Archived