well, i did it

i think i'm excited - i just bought a freedom. i thought i had decided on lenni - but the sale and incentives were just too good to pass up on the freedom. i have been quilting on a bernina up to this point. i hope i did the right thing.....any thoughts? :o

You'll love it!

My Freedom is my second full sized longarm machine... I shopped and shopped for more than a year testdriving and taking classes on all of them when I decided to make a switch because I wanted more control and ease of movement, and the Freedom is the one that won me over.

Hi, Meg,

I was a home machine quilter, too. I have wanted a longarm for years, and finally took the plunge...a big one...with the purchase of my Millie. One thing to keep in mind is that longarm quilting is not like quilting on your home machine. You will need to practice to develop the control you have with your home machine. Outlining appliques, stitch in the ditch, and the quarter inch outlining are much easier on your home machine. That said, you are not wrestling with a huge quilt, and it is much easier to keep little tucks and pleats out of your backing on the longarm. The loading of the quilt is much easier than all the pinning and basting that one has to do for the home machine. You also have a much larger perspective on the longarm, to plan and execute larger design areas.

When I first started on the longarm, I thought "this would be so much easier on my regular machine." It is just a different concept, and you must make the committment to learn new techniques. In the beginning, don't let it get you down. Its easy to get discouraged when you are used to great results on your home machine, then go to the longarm and have your quilting look like a 5 year old's art work! The more you use your longarm, the greater your control will be...just like with your home machine. My theory was "I just spent a bunch on this machine, and it will not defeat me!" Its getting better all the time. I have really only been quilting for a couple months, and I can see a BIG difference between my practice pieces, and the quilt I am working on now.

My friend recently purchased a Freedom, and it is a great machine. She loves it and is very happy with her decision.

Hi Meg;

Congratulations on your new purchase. You will find that your quilting jumps to a whole new level! When I was doing machine quilting on my domestic sewing machine it was like pulling teeth for me....I was so frustrated trying to keep the back nice and smooth and trying to maneuver all that fabric under the machine. My longarm has been such a blessing. It is also nice to see quilts get finished after they are pieced instead of 10 years later.

You will love it! It is a great toy and you can even make money with it if you so desire!

Helen

Archived