NQR - Prayers for my Husband

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dory & Dennis (((hugs))) & prayers. My DH had a similar decision with his mother complicated by the fact that we still lived in England & he couldn't get there in time. One thing we asked tho' was to have a hospital chaplain visit with her. She just let go after that as if she was just ready to go.

Thinking of you both & all your family, God Bless!

So, so sorry...........Mom and I had to make that decision with my Dad. He was only 78, but end stage Alzheimers. Of course the hospital wanted to put in all these feeding tubes, etc., but to what end? We had a long talk with the Hospice people at the hospital. We felt better about making the decision to stop all meds, no tubes, nothing........Dad was moved to a Hospice Center closer to home and died peacefully a week later.

I can sympathize with all of you. I have a brother, but he didn't come around to help with any decisions. So be it.

Dear Dory, I feel your pain. Both of my parents were DNR and died in hospice. My mom lingered a few days but my father slipped peacefully into the mist. I know I will see him again and I know he was in pain but after 2 years I still miss him just as bad as the day he died. He was my dearest and best lifelong friend. Please tell you husband I am wishing him strength at this very hard time.

Blessings,Nora

Thank you everyone for your prayers and good wishes. Dennis has made the decision and the phone call (she's in a hospital 90 minutes away) to stop the IV fluids. He talked with the doc and she agreed it was the best decision, then made sure he was okay with the decision before she did it. She's a great doc, IMO.

Dennis had a long talk with a cousin of Donna's who is only a few years younger. She was able to shed some light on Donna's fear of dying, even though she was Catholic. Dennis dad had been divorced and Donna married him and had Dennis "out of wedlock" in the eyes of the church. Her upbringing in the church had been when everything was pretty much fire and brimstone...thus her fear of dying.

Dennis daughters are coming up tomorrow and they will all go over to see her. Its a good decision and Dennis seems to have let go of his guilt for making it. I'm sure his moods will swing, but I do feel he's done the right thing.

Thanks again. I'm not usually one to share my feelings (with anyone!), so it was nice to share and have you all respond so lovingly. We really are an APQS family; I appreciate all of you more than you'll ever know.

Hugs to you and Dennis. I understand what he is going through, as my Mother died in Hospice care nearly two years ago. It is hard to watch them die, but in most of these situations there is nothing better to do, as their quality of life is gone. My Mother was 91 1/2 when she died, so she lived a long and happy life, as it seems Dennis's Mother also did. She lived in her own home and was still very active until about 2 weeks before she died. In the end she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, although she never new she had it. It is so very sad, but there comes a time when "it is the right time" to pass on.

Dory,

Please give Denis a hug for me and tell him he is a good man for honoring his mothers wishes. I had to make the decision not to put my father on life support and everytime I start feeling sad about it I remind myself that all I did was follow his wishes and that always makes me feel better. Hugs to you both! I'll pray for a quick and peaceful passing for your MIL.

Archived