NQR - Prayers for my Husband

He has a really tough decision to make. His mom has been in Assisted Living for the past three weeks. Tuesday, she had a severe stroke and cannot move her right side, nor can she swallow or talk. She's 94.

Donna broke her hip just before she turned 92. Until that time, she lived alone and still drove herself around. After recuperating from the hip fracture, she moved in with us for 14 mos. Then she got to a point where we could no longer care for her; thus the Assisted Living.

Now she's in the hospital and Dennis has made the decision to not insert a feeding tube (she's a full DNR). However, the doc explained to him this morning that as long as they've got her on IV fluids, she will continue to hang on in this state. He needs to make the decision to stop the fluids and let her go peacefully, or take a chance that she might get better--or worse yet, she may never talk or be able to do anything on her own and will just hang on. He's an only child and has to make the decision himself. One of his daughters is in the medical profession, so they're talking about it. Although his mom told him that she never wanted to live in the state she's in now, he's still having a really hard time making a decision.

Prayers for him would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dear Dory! I'm so sorry you're going through this. It's a very tough decision to make, I know. All Dennis can do is try to abide by what his Mom would want for herself.

Is she responsive at all? If she can respond to questions and answer them in any way, by the squeeze of a hand, or blink of an eye, you'll feel better knowing you at least asked her what her wishes are.

Love & hugs going south, and prayers going up!

post--13461904576919_thumb.gif

My prayers are with you and Dennis.

When my fil had fallen at Assisted living and was in the hospital there were not many options for the family either. He also didn't want to be "brought back". It was hard for the family (one son in particular) to decide to just go with the comfort care, but as soon as that decision was made and the nurses notified, within 5 minutes the nurse stepped back in the room we were meeting in and told us that Merlin was gone. I felt that with that timing, Merlin had just told his kids, "you did the right thing, thank you." Even through the grief they had peace because they had not opted for the plan that would continue to give him pain.

May God hold Dennis and you in his peace through this full process.

So sorry to hear that Dory, life choices can be so difficult & stressful, even more so in times like this.

I am sure the right path to take will soon show it's self for the direction & choice you all have to make, you know how things are meant to be, just turn out the way they are meant it be, it will be the best for all concerned, hang in there & take it day by day! ;)

Dory, sending ((((((hugs))))))))))))) and prayers for all of you! We had to do the same thing for my dad 7 years ago. :( It is such a hard thing to do. When you talk about DNR and things like that with your parents when everyone is healthy, it seems to make so much sense and seems like an easy decision. But when the time actually comes, it is more difficult than you ever expected because you know that once they are gone, that's it. It's so final. So I will pray for strength for all of you to get through this very hard time. Just know that we are all here for you.

Dory, when our son was ion his death bed, they said the easiest way to go was to let dehydration take them.. no IV's but for meds, if really needed, no feeding tubes... etc. It really is simple and not too hard on the family besides making that initial decision which our son made years earlier.. Prayers for your hubby that he can be comforted that he had a mom such a long time, has always done his best for her, and will be doing just that with this last decision.. I'm sure she would have wanted the same, the alternate not being a very pleasant way to live..

Give a call if you want to talk, or email privately... Sorry for both of you and His mom... prayers for all, to make her life comfy, his decisions not painful to him, or you, and just thank God for such a Good Mom.

Ritar

Guest Linda S

Oh wow. What a horrible situation to be in. However, I have asked that I be a DNR myself. If your mom expressed those wishes, they should most likely be honored. Is she able to communicate in any way? If her wish is to be allowed to go, it should be respected.

Dory,

Lots of prayers and hugs for you and Dennis. This is a really tough decision and one that none of us want to follow. Just tell him to listen to his heart...it will never lead you down the wrong path. Remember Mrs. Becker the older lady that my mom took care of, well her roommate had almost this exact thing happen. Her daughter decided to put in the feeding tube and the lady is still alive. She has been living in this state for 3 1/2 years and is non-responsive but just won't let go. She can't move even a finger and most of the time her eyes are closed. They move her in and out of bed but that is about it. Hard decisions for sure. More prayers coming for you.

Archived