New Milli Owner

Hi all, my name is Julie. I am so excited. My DH drove 900 miles to New Mexico to pick up my new Milli. We've set it all up - it was a great find. Thanks to Dawn & Don we were able to quickly troubleshoot the hydraulics and those are working fine. The fabric advance works smoothly. The only bad thing is that I have to call Dawn back tomorrow. The table is level, but upon inspection, one of the wheels is missing a spacer. The person who owned it before passed away. I think when they took the machine apart they took the wheels off. That's okay, it's a relatively small thing to fix. I am seriously considering ordering the M&M wheels as well.

Talk about shock and awe. There are 300+ spools of thread - almost all are brand new. I spent half the day sorting Bob bobbins! 1300 was a really low estimate. There are about 125 pantographs, countless templates, over 20 Circle Lord templates, tons of notions and about 13 extra bobbin cases. That's my other question - I understand about having a few extra on hand, but any idea why she would have had so many?

BTW, cotton canvas shrinks about 15-20%, even if you don't put it in the dryer! :( There is no way to regain that amount. Unfortunately, the previous owner was a smoker and the leaders were really smelly. I was going to order new ones, when I had an ah-hah moment. I used to run an online fabric store. Somewhere I had about 18 yards of red/cream striped canvas that I picked up at Ikea. At 60" wide, it turned out to be perfect for new leaders!

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself and say hi. I'm sure I will be posting some more questions in the days to come. I'm off to help my DH. He is in the middle of cutting 5 inch dowels and gluing them into pegboard to make an ultra large thread holder. I would have loved a cabinet with doors, but for now, this will do great. I wasn't expecting this much stuff so there is a lot of spatial planning to do!

Can't wait to be "gone quilting!"

Julie in TX

Hi Julie welcome to the family. I am a newbie myself but am addicted to the forum worse than coffee. Everyone is so nice to jump in and help with just about anything. You will be glad down the road to have a jump start on your supplies trust me I am starting out from scratch and it is so expensive. Everytime I want to start a quilt I find nope I don'

t have the color thread. Can't wait to see your creations. ;)

Lucky you! Some longarmers keep a bobbin case for each type of thread. That way, when the get it tension just perfect, they don't need to play with it again when starting a quilt. Keep each bobbin case in a little bag with a label of what type of thread it hold (i.e. Sew Fine/ Bottom Line/ 50wt Cotton/ etc...

I only have two - one for finer thread and one for heavier threads. 13 seems a little excessive, but we quilters are known to be excessive.

BTW - Welcome to the forum!

Welcome and wow did you get a deal. You must be like a kid in the candy store with all the "extra" you got.

You will be up and running and then there will be no stopping you. You may want to get the m&m wheels and change them out once. The m&m wheels are wonderful. Good luck as you start your longarm quilting adventure.

Welcome Julie! I'm a newbie too and this is the best forum ever. Everyone is very helpful. How wonderful you got all the supplies. 300 spools of thread and 1300 bobbins should keep you going for awhile- LOL. Go for the M&M wheels. They are the best!

Hi Julie,

Hooray for you! Sounds like you hit the jackpot. I'm new to the LA world too and find myself shopping daily to get the right tools to get going. No doubt it will take a long time to equip myself. The best thing ever has been reading discussions about books, videos and tools that the talented quilters here on the forum have found most helpful. So, just have to say Thank You so much everyone for your help in guiding my choices.

Happy quilting Julie. Hope you have as much fun with your Millie as I am.

Archived