Holy Jackpot, Batman! Sort of quilt-related.

Guest Linda S

Guest Linda S

I'm just recovering from the most amazing sequence of events. Last Thursday, I headed up to Silver Falls State Park (to the east of Salem, OR) for a four-day retreat at the lodge with my Getaway Girls. We're a group of women who go on quilting retreats together 3-4 times a year. We arrived on a beautiful afternoon, got all our stuff set up, and were commenting about how much we loved the place and wished we could buy it and live there forever. Someone commented that the Powerball Jackpot was getting really high, and we should pitch in and buy a ticket. So, when one of the gals headed back into town for more fabric, we all pitched in a buck and bought $26 worth of Powerball Tickets. We enjoyed our retreat, and Sunday morning, we grabbed the paper at breakfast so we could check our numbers. Back in the sewing room, the tickets were handed out and we began calling out the numbers. When we were done, one of the gals said, "what does it mean if we have all of the numbers in a row except for the Powerball?" I nearly fainted. What it meant was that we won $200,000! I am NOT kidding! Of course, we had to split it 26 ways, so it wasn't a fortune, but we each ended up with a little more than $5,000 after taxes. If we had pitched in $2 each and gotten the kicker, we would have won $1 million! So - I just wanted you to know that sometimes people really do win the lottery! We had the very best retreat of our lives. The money took the sting out of having to come back home again. Having recently retired, the funds will really help out. I had new tires put on my car this afternoon, easing a fear of going through the winter with balding tires. I will also pay off what is left on my "car" loan that funded the little bit of my IQ that I didn't quite have the money for. The rest will go in the bank for unexpected expenses. I am just over the moon. Four days of nothing but eat, sleep, quilt with wonderful friends, and we came home monetarily and psychologically enriched!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Linda S

I am so blessed. Not only to win some nice money, but to have had a great group of friends to share it with. Also to have wonderful folks like you who are excited for me. Life is good!

Archived