I was thinking about this last night...

So, What is it that we love so much about quilting...

Is it the hunt for the pattern?

Finding the perfect fabric?

Enjoying the design process?

Piecing?

After looking at Linda Rech's "Showstopper" quilt, I think it's the "high" we get when we look at the combination of perfect piecing, fabric, and gorgeous quilting...

What do you think? What is is YOU love so much about quilting? When you finish one are you anxious to work on the next one? Do the designs "fight" to "get out of your mind" and into creation?" Why are we all so obsessed? Is it just me? (LOL I know it's not just me...)

I think about this quilting bug often. In my case, it's the love of fabrics and sewing, combining the two to express the quilt in my minds eye. There are so many ideas around us, beautiful and exciting. The reason why I have this Millenium is to make the quilt all my own, from start to finish.

Corey

I just love the whole process from finding a pattern, choosing the fabrics, piecing and then quilting it. I enjoy the challenge of the next project and rarely make the same pattern twice. I always have another one (or 2 or 3) in my mind that I want to make next while I am still working on one. I usually have several going at the same time. Some in the beginning stages of collecting fabrics, another in the piecing stage and another pieced and waiting for the quilter (me) to get to it. I bounce between the different stages so I hardly ever get bored.

I love finding the right pattern and then collecting the right fabrics and then I skip forward to quilting it out just the way I like (not like Linda's showstopper cause I can't do that)! Then I love for someone to comment on it. I also like to talk or think about it. Apparently I really like to talk and think about it or I'd get more done!!!! Right now I have 2 block of the months coming in and the pattern and fabric to make 3 other quilts that are still in the packaging. I just have the quilting sickness. Oh, and I forgot to say, I have no new clothes cause they are not as fun to buy!!!

I get struck by a pattern, love working with the colors for the right ones, I find the cutting and piecing to be good therapy and just for me time. The quilting allows me to again have therapy time and the deep satisfaction of seeing progress and completion. When I give the quilts away (I've not had many I was able to keep yet) there is real contentment in giving others something very special to both of us. And the appreciation received from the comments from each of you is just icing and the bonus in the "paycheck".

I don't do customer quilts, mine are usually family/friends gifts.

:P:P:P Sylvia you never cease to make me laugh, I really enjoy your humor. I too have no new clothes, but mainly it's because my body can't decide what size it would like to end up being!

I have decided I love quilting mainly because I love color and am totally afraid of it. My whole house is oatmeal and off white, ICK!!! I recently started using brights, now I have a TON of dulls just taking up space in my stash. I am beginnning to love threads because of the color choices and they look so pretty sitting in the drawer yelling "Pick me! Pick me!"

I love long arm quilting because I get to play with (mostly) beautiful quilts and love the apprecation and warm fuzzy when quilters get their treasure back and are so happy. I see improvement in my quilting when I quilt, and that makes me happy, will I ever get to the level as Linda R, Heidi M, or other very talented quilters we have on our forum, I doubt it but I keep trying. I still can't design a masterpiece in my head or on paper, but I can quilt a happy quilt. That makes me feel great.

Originally posted by JustSewSimple

I love finding the right pattern and then collecting the right fabrics and then I skip forward to quilting it out just the way I like (not like Linda's showstopper cause I can't do that)! Then I love for someone to comment on it. I also like to talk or think about it. Apparently I really like to talk and think about it or I'd get more done!!!! Right now I have 2 block of the months coming in and the pattern and fabric to make 3 other quilts that are still in the packaging. I just have the quilting sickness. Oh, and I forgot to say, I have no new clothes cause they are not as fun to buy!!!

This is me too!!! Absolutely what I would have wrote! LOL! Quilters are soooo alike in soooo many ways. Thank you Sylvia!

I love every part of the process. Mostly, as I'm relaxing by piecing or quilting I think of how my great- and grandma made quilts. Each stitch made by hand until the treadle machine came along. How they cut the pieces without the tools of today, and still, what beautiful quilts they made. It was fun for my mom and I to learn new things and see the changes over the years. How lucky I am to have had the time with my mother who taught me this gift of sewing and quilting. For every stitch I take, she's there with me guiding my hand.

That's what I love about quilting.

i also love the whole process....

of course, there are parts i enjoy more than others.

choosing fabrics, patterns, piecing and LAing are favorites.

cutting and binding are less favorite. :( (and by less favorite, i mean i don't like these steps)

deciding on the quilting design is still stressful, but i'm getting better all the time and hope someday the stress will turn to excitement!

;)

and giving them to someone is my bestest favorite part. :cool:

Guest Linda S

I like the whole creative process. I love to do my own work because I know from start to finish the vision I have for it, and I can usually bring about the end I seek. Nothing depresses me more than a customer who brings me a gorgeous quilt and then asks me to quilt something I don't think will look nice, or if they bring me a terribly low-loft batting. I want to remain a bit subtly in the background, but I want them to see the texture of what they paid for, and when I see that coming out and the design looks so pretty with their fabrics, my heart swells with pride. At times like those, with the music blasting, and the breeze blowing through the studio, I will just burst into tears of joy. That's when I really love what I do. :D

I love picking the fabric then going home to find just the right shelf for it to sit! LOL Then I can't wait till I have to time to piece it.Well yep that's fun for the first couple squares then I'm pretty bored and figure I need to go shopping for more fabric to get me in the mood. Problem is by the looks of the fabric stash I'm not getting in the mood often enough to finish all these I have started. I just counted I have 9 pretty well started just to the point the fun went dry. I can't wait to quilt it that's the most fun for me. Well now I thought about this I really feel quilty spending all the money on this nice fabric so I am going in to sew. Thank you for this thread maybe I can finish this quilt for my son by Monday.

I love EVERYTHING!!!! which is what gets me into trouble. I love the books, the fabric, the toys, the design process, piecing....did I mention the fabric? The most challenging part for me is making the decision about "how" to quilt. I spend more time fretting over that decision that the entire time it took me to choose and build it in the first place......

Great answers! I see that the "same thread binds" us together as quilters...

Besides getting my paycheck, I agree the best part is the look on the customer, recipients face and the squeal of delight when they see their quilted piece... The act of creation is immensely satisfying...

And we all seem to agree - it's the BEST therapy in the world!!!

Sylvia, you are so right on. Everything you say is so true to me! I really dislike shopping of any kind, but I can walk around for 9 hours straight at a quilt show and fill my bags with the most wonderful toys in the world. I have in my mind created many, many quilts! Are they in my hands, well... just not yet! I am always optimistic.:):)

I love it all! But, I guess if I had to narrow it down, it would be FABRIC! I have a disease:P:P I can not walk into a fabric store and leave with nothing. I'm surprised my husband hasn't blocked all the fabric sites from my computer.

The other day a bunch of us were talking and one gal said that she went on a bus shop hop, and came home with a fat quarter! There we all sat waiting for her to say at least "one fat quarter from each stop", but no she bought 1 fat quarter!:D:D

Anyway, my next favorite thing is deciding on the pattern, and then the quilting design. Although like Meg says, I still get a little stressed on deciding the quilt design since they aren't usually my quilts, but it is getting better.

Archived