Old acquaintance

It's so disappointing when that happens and it happens to me more than I should admit.  My loving DH said it's because I have too many projects going on at once. The last big seam ripper experience was I made a quilt in a day by Eleanor Burns which it probably would of been in a day but upon pressing it I noticed I mixed up the piecing. So what was supposed to be a day turned out a week. LOL

I have become one with my seam ripper.  We are very good friends.  We have a bond that cannot be broken.  It's like we were meant for each other. There's rarely a day that goes by where we don't see each other.  Yes, my seam ripper and I are best of friends.  :P  

HaHa; I asked my husband who sharpens knives and wood tools to see what he could do with my two brass seam rippers! He tuned them up on the point and the razor with some sharpening compound and WOW they worked great yesterday! It was almost a pleasure to frog (emphasis on "almost")!

I have a seam ripper that has been through thick and thin. It is at least 31 years old (I know it's older, but I'm going by the time period when I made my wedding dress). I suppose they are supposed to wear out. It's been chewed by the dog we had in 1983, and I just can't part with it. It still works, still fits my hand, and it's my go-to ripper outer. I'm quite fond of it and it's always just a few feet away from my stitches. I feel your pain and hope you're back on the right track soon.

My MIL does a LOT of piecing.  She can spend hours putting the tiniest pieces together and make beautiful quilts (which I get to quilt for her).  You can imagine the look on her face when my son announced to her "sewing club" one day that "Grandma sews all day and rips all night."  Whenever she has has to "unsew" she simply sets the piece/block aside and then in the evening she sits in her rocker next to her husband's recliner and gets out the ripper.  She is keeping him company while not disturbing his TV show with the sound of the sewing machine.  She also does a good deal of hand embroidery while sitting next to him in the evening.  I hope my eyes and hands work that well when I am 80 years old.

Archived