Bump bump or regular

Ok, I'll jump in.  I find I use regular feathers more often than not.   My quilting style is not as formal I guess.  I really like the look of the bump feathers though.  I just don't think to use them. I use a really thin thread and tend to match my background, so I don't have a lot of thread build up happening on my feathers.  Bump bump would be better if the thread really shows.

Regular feathers.

If I want a more "heirloom" look I stitch hooked feathers, where you can more easily curl  a feather out and around another, or tuck a small feather inside to change direction.

I also like fanciful feathers and filigree--a place for all! :)

Meg...which one are you most comfortable quilting?

It depends.

I've only used bump on 1 actual quilt.

I've definitely put regular on more quilts.

But in practice, it's a toss up.

I find that when I'm going along a spine, I like regular.

But when I'm turning on a curved spine and making the feathers lay on each other, I want to bump!

But in practice, it's a toss up.

I find that when I'm going along a spine, I like regular.

But when I'm turning on a curved spine and making the feathers lay on each other, I want to bump!

:D Then there's the time when you (me) are stitching in a hands-on class and brainlessly switch from bumpbump to regular feathers in mid-stream. I really impressed the instructor with that one!! :blink:

I can do rehular long arm feathers both up and down a spine, but find my bump.bump are nocer but I cannot do them down a spine so have to bcktrack back to the beginning for those.

BUT I love doing Jamie Wallen's flurry of feathers.

Like Linda I have to be careful as at times I jump between bump bump and regular!

All part of my uniqueness!

I tried regular feathers in the beginning and they looked horrible.  Then I took a class from Karen McT. and the lightbulb moment happened for me when doing the bump bump feathers.  I switch between bump bump and hook.  When I've tried to do regular feathers lately, I get about 5 inches into it and find myself unconsciously switching to the bump bump.  Funny how we get in our little nitch of comfort and when we stray, we tend to come back to our nitch. ^_^   I'm doing bump bump today.  The backing is white and the thread is purple.  You know what that means...every wobble and back track shows.  :wacko:  

I like to do lots of different kinds of feathers. I have a ton of feather books. I love the look of the bump bump feathers but they are hard for me to do since I am so picky about my backtracking. I also love to do hook feathers. I also like Nan Moore's (I think) feather that uses a curl at the top instead of a bump back so it looks like a curlicue feather then a regular feather-every other one.

I mostly do regular feathers but have done hooked feathers too. Lately, since I have been practicing bump bump feathers alot, I am having a hard time sticking with one type also.

I really like the look of bump bump feathers, but I draw them way better than I quilt them. Also, I love variegated thread and it really does not work with bump bump feathers.

Now I am trying to figure out if I do regular feathers better top down or bottom up!!

I love feathers!!

I als learned how to do the bump bump from Karen McTavish, took a private class in December.  I tried the regular and they look really bad, then I get frustrated and go back to the bump bump.  I also have done the hook method, but the bump bump is my favorite now.

Archived