A suggestion, or maybe a complaint about terminology

I have a suggestion, or maybe a gripe about how members sometimes describe features or components of their quilting machines.  While some of us are familuar with slang terms identifying componients of our machines and tables, not everyone is.  Terms like "dead bar", "belly bar", and "thingy" are not included in our owner's manuals.  Please try and do everyone the service of properly identifying what you're referring to.  If you're referring to the leveling roller, please call it the "leveling roller", not the "dead bar".  If you're referring to backing roller, or the quilt top roller, call call it which ever it is, not the "belly bar".  If you're referring to the needle bar, the cone holder. the stylus mount, or whatever, call it what it is, rather than the "thingy".

A lot of the members are professionals, and promoting professional language rather than falling back on some sort of slang does everyone a service.  Makes us look more professional. It also helps people understand what your problem or suggestion is, so they can understand or help.  Please take the time to learn what the parts of your quilting system are actually called and use those terms.  Thanks.  Jim

Jim, I think you're fighting a losing battle. Trying to police the free spirits who populate this forum will give you a stomach ache! Most are not  "professionals" and perhaps someone will not post a call for help because they don't know the correct term for a component.  Many of us who are "professionals" don't care if someone is in a panic and looking for help, whether they're using the correct terminology.

Be advised that other manufacturers call those same components different terms. A longarming friend just added a "dead bar" to her machine. That's what the manufacturer called it and that's what she calls it. And many instructors call the front roller a belly bar. Not saying it's a correct term--just that it's used and easily understood. APQS calls parts what they deem to be correct. My DH is a mechanical engineer and he has different names for many components on my machine.

I'm just looking at the other side of the story. 

Hi Jim, I completely and respectfully appreciate your point of view and comment. Your points make total sense to me.  That stated, I am a professional, and I like to use the word thingy to describe things (or thingies). ;)  :P

Here is something to help you to put things (or thingies) into perspective... with Facebook and other social media out there, new terms or words are becoming more popular with every day. In fact, the offical dictionaries out there have a hard time keeping up with the latest terms! It's true. Our world is evolving with Facebook, satelitte TV, internet, Twitter, cell phones, text messaging... it's a super highway of information (and words) being shared between millions and millions of people. Fifty, 150, 350, 1050 years ago, people spoke differently than they do today. In 50 years from now, people will be using differnent words, and these words will be added to the dictionary, as the current words are being added now.

It's just the way it is. We all come from different parts of the world. People who live in Maine -- I have a hard time understanding what they are saying. Black people have a dielect and many pronounce the word "ask" by pronouncing it "axe" but that doesn't mean they are saying it incorrectly.... It is just the way they speak. Their dialect. People in England use the word "bloody" and other funny terms that we Americans don't normally use. It's all about tolerance and accepting they way people are and where they come from.

Anyway, hang in there, Jim. Those of us here, we all have to roll with the flow and tolerate and accept when dealing with a communication (chat) site such as this. Places like our chat site are like a giant boiling pot where everyone comes in to join. We all can't talk and act exactly the same.

Getting back to your main point about terminology, in our world of inventing new tools, people also invent new names to go with those tools. So, it is possible that someone could invent something called "The Belly Bar Thingy" and it would be absolutely correct terminology because that is what they named their new tool.

Jim - a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.  While we are professionals here, professionals realize that terminology varies not only from country to country, but from county to county.  What you call one thing is not necessarily its proper name.  None of us is the be-all, end-all sage of quilting.  As you age, you may realize that the mental process involved in figuring out the thing about which someone else is speaking keeps your brain active and alive.  Have fun with it, and learn to live a little.   ^_^

Sometimes we professionals have a brain fart from memory. I can't always remember the correct name of things but can usually describe it. The problem is there is 14 names by different companies for the same thing. In an ideal work everything from different companies would be named the sMe for the same part. But that just doesn't happen. It would be nice, but when I was out of town a gal called me with a problem and she has a different brand machine. We discussed things that adjust the bobbin case and clean the hook assembly, but we also mentioned run the thread from the thingy to the whatchamacallit. It would be ideal, but I have been in the hardware store and have translated from I need this thingy that hooks to the whatchamacallit to do this more than once. It is just how it is. Doesn't mean we're not professional. Sometimes I just have a brain fart and know what I want and what it does but for the life of me cannot remember what it's called.

So I would like that too, but the reality is, it's not going to happen all the time!

Shirley

Linda:  I'll bet your friend with the "dead bar" has a Nolting machine.  When I was a member of their user group, they drove me crazy with the terms they used.

Shana and Linda:  I understand what you say, and at my age heaven knows I can use all the brain activity I can get, but still if you're going to own a machine and use it, you should take the responsibility to be familiar with what elements of that machine are called.  Can you imagine calling a router bit "that round thing you stick in the hole that gore around".  Or describing a tire on your car as "that black thing that touches the road".  Come on!  We all (or at least most of us) have owner's manuals, and the terms appear there.  Everyone should read their manuals.

I may be fighting a loosing battle, but I'll still try.  I'm someone who believes in saying please and thank you, regardless of the practice of others, and I'll encourage them to do so also.  Jim

Oh, by the way, I think the "belly bar" comes from Gammill machines.  Their tables have a special roller that does not have a leader, nor hold any of the quilts components.  It's part of the non-parallel quilting system they use.  Other machine owners have just picked up that slang term and used it to describe something else.  Jim

Oh my gosh ... after reading Jim's reply, I was just imagining all of the crazy things that the "IT Help Desk call center" technicians have to listen to when listening to customers describe problems with their computers while in a panic. :lol:  :D

And, yes, I will put my best efforts forward and try to use the proper terminology when it comes to our machines and I will try to be consistent.... but sometimes I just gotta let loose use the word Thingy -- because it sounds funny.

Great topic of discussion, Jim!  :)

Jim,

My DH would love your coments on proper terminology for tools & etc.  He has many tools for all kinds of repairs, a lot of woodworking equipment  and finds it very frustrating when I don't know all of the names of those important pieces he uses. 

After many years of his training program, I have improved to some degree.  My neighbor has a young male child who seems to know all of the names of these important gadgets in our garage and in the basement.  He even comes over just to look at them on occasion.   He also corrects me when I am wrong.

Love this discussion and am chuckling.  Good luck, Jim.   

oh my senior citizen brain needs help sometimes....but I agree using the official word for the parts does help with clarity.....I used to work on a pediatric floor,  trying to get pee and poop samples was always interesting because of the all the various words used to describe these in the 2-8 year old group.... I was just chuckling to myself thinking I could post things like "belly bar"...aka (also know as)....the round thingy on the frame you roll up the quilt on or backing....I forgot which, before you do the quilting ....aka...as the one you rest your belly on while applying the brake....well you get the idea....but....if answering a newbie....it might be helpful to use the right term as well as the other one....took me a while to figure out what cc's (a curved stitching line going from corner to corner) were and what a DSM  (domestic sewing machine) was when I first joined this group.   yep...every hobby, trade, sport, profession has it's own language.... Lin

I love quilting, the creativity is therapy for me.

I am not a mechanical person & have no desire to become one.

I have a limited amount of time to spend quilting, and don't want to use it to study the 'terms' in my owners manual.

I know how to perform the necessary maintenance for Lola.

I've fixed some of my machine issues on my own, some using advice I've received here, some over the phone with apqs, and also had service done by reps.

I am a doo dad, whatchamacallit, thingy person.

These words are not offensive or taboo.

I'm not hurting anyone and do not consider myself dumbed down or irresponsible.

I don't consider myself or my way of expressing myself a stain on quilting professionals.

And neither should any of my 'whatsit' counterparts.

This is a public forum, and participating in public forums requires tolerance.

Ahh, now I feel better.

Read the manual - good one.  ROFLMAO  I worked an IT help desk job.  1 in 10 may read the manual.  1 in 5 can actually find the manual.   I tell folks at work all the time that if I could redefine the English language I would eliminate pronouns.  I am constantly asking who is she, who is he...

Mary

And all the terms I know came from here because my old machine never had an owners manual written for it :)  When I need written info Dawn sends or emails me copies of specifics from the newer Millie machines for whatever doojiggie I need help with. :) It doesn't bother me, but I understand your point. I like to figure out challenges and that includes some hilarious language sometimes  :)

All I read was Jim wants us to quilt more feathers because people don't use feathers nearly enough.  ;)  Joking!

LOL!  I will try my best to learn my parts so as I do not frustrate any well meaning forum members/helpers.  I make no promises because I usually have my nose stuck in my long arm and my head over a quilt - but I will try.  I am super grateful for all the wonderful people here who offer their help for absolutely nothing in return...so many of us would be lost without you!  ;)

I know the name of it!  Ah heck what is that thingy called? 

That is how my brain works sometimes, it is always on the tip of my tongue but I just can't spit it out. Twenty minutes later I'm able to spit it out and then people are asking me what the heck I'm talking about. I don't know if it's because of age or because I'm blonde, probably a combination of both! Atleast I have a exceptable excuse. :rolleyes:   

Jim I just wanted to say I totally understand what your saying!

I have so enjoyed this thread.  I'm going to say that I don't own an APQS but my manual doesn't identify all the parts of the machine, which would be very helpful.  If anyone has a page that they could scan and email me, I'd appreciate it.  I know some of the parts but not very many.  I think the table I have is pretty well identified and I'll have to look at it more.

For now, I believe that we fall into two camps, just as piecers fall into two camps.  I remember reading here that piecers fall into two camps...those who want to master the art and those who just want to get the quilt done and out the door.  Likewise with quilters...there are those who want to know all the parts and those who just want their machines to work when they want to quilt.

Joan

I also don't own an APQS (I wish I did). I looked at my owners manual last night (all 18 pages of it!) and found very few references to the names of the different parts, and none at all for the table and bars and rails (?).

I too would like to know the correct names but suspect some are brand specific.

If anyone knows of a reference site which describes and names the different parts, I would love to hear of it.

Archived